Switching from Nvidia to AMD/ATI

I’ve been an exclusively Nvidia guy since 3DFX shut down. But I needed to upgrade my video card and went with an AMD card, based on price/performance. It’s in the mail. I’m a bit concerned about the transition. Anyone know what all I’ll have to do? I assume uninstall all the Nvidia software first, then install new card and new drivers. Is there anything else I should know about?

Not that I know of! which card did you get?

I’m looking at going the other way from a Radeon 7850 to a GTX 970!

This link has some decent advice on what to do. I also use the boot into safe mode and use driver sweeper stuff, but that might be a little old school these days? http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/345198-33-replace-graphics-card

Technically you don’t have to do anything but yeah, I too would uninstall the older drivers, shut down, replace card and install new drivers. But that’s it, I don’t see what else you should do.

I just switched to an R9 290x from having a GTX 580 for 3 years. It really is as simple as taking the old card out, putting the new card in, turn the machine on and run the AMD setup. That’s it. (Tip: Don’t install the AMD Gaming Evolved Client)

I did remove all the old nvidia drivers after that for shits and giggles.

Wow, reading this thread takes me back to the days when switching companies caused seemingly endless headaches. I’m pretty thankful for the endless march of progress when it comes to this.

I did the reverse and it was no big deal. I don’t regret the change personally.

Excellent. Thanks guys. Oh, and Cormac, the card I ordered is a used R7 260x. Not top of the line by any means, but a decent upgrade for me, coming from a GTS 250. To say that I game on a budget would be an understatement.