Sword of the Stars - Expansion Released

You’re thinking Ascendancy, and that was 1995. The late WIlliam Trotter.

No, he was correct. The designer was Martin Cirulis, who had previously written a column for CGW.

SotS is an all-time favorite of mine and I’m incredibly pleased to hear there are mods out there to keep it vital. Thanks for posting about this, I’ll have to give it a try!

Anyone that hasn’t should try the Progression Wars mode, by the way. It’s the kind of thing that really needs to be stolen by other 4X designers.

If anyone is interested, I have a rather large collection of custom maps I could post later this evening.

Wait, is that a specific mode in the game? I thought that was basically people deciding to switch to a different race in the same game every N turns.

I’m thinking of the mode that makes you pack up and leave the galaxy every N turns, taking with you whatever you can manage to scrape together, to face ever worse odds in the next galaxy. That’s definitely a mode in the game, though it’s been a long time so I might have the name wrong.

Edit: Nope, I’ve got the name right. It’s a “scenario” built into the game, and it’s fantastic.

First time I’ve ever heard of this option of moving galaxies.

[Edit] Now I remember. Yes the scenarios are fantastic

[/Edit]

My understanding of Progression Wars is the same as MikeJ’s. Switch to a different race every N turns to give the A.I. a helping hand and keep the game fresh. Also, some experts play their starter race up to a certain point where they have a dominant advantage and then switch to the weakest race for a challenge.

Yeah, that particular scenario is particularly fantastic and endlessly replayable.

Oh you are right. I had forgotten that.

Putting a custom badge to use

Nice. Where’d you get that?

Finished my first real first campaign in this one, it was so much fun. Taking a break for Rome Remastered and after that might have a go at modded stardrive.

But there’s no doubt there are many more campaigns in my future w/ SotS.

I downloaded an image from someone’s satire t-shirt, cropped and exported as a 128x128 .tga (in Gimp) with transparent corners and then tweaked a few files to make the game recognize it, lol.

Instructions for adding custom badges (which also appear on ships!)

Summary

Once you have your .tga image ready…

1. Add a Mods folder to the Sword of the Stars game directory. Inside there, make two sub-folders: Badges and GUI.
  2. sots.ini needs to be edited to use the Mods folder as an “override” by making it like this under the Modules section (Mount1 takes priority over 2, etc.):
    Mount1=Mods/
    Mount2=sots_local_en.gob
    Mount3=sots.gob
  3. use 7-Zip to open the sots.gob archive (which is just a renamed .zip file)
  4. Navigate to the Badges folder, and note the format of the various names of badges for each species. You’ll want to name your badge in a similar manner. I named mine humanID_18.tga, so you can see how I incorporated that in the next steps.
  5. “copy to” the SOTS directory the following two files from the archive: BadgesTable.txt (found in Badges) and SpriteTable.csv (found in GUI)
  6. Exit the archive, and edit the copies in your SOTS directory.
  7. For BadgesTable.txt, I added it to the Human list as:
    Human BADGE_HUMAN18 false (using tabs to space properly)
  8. For the SpriteTable.csv, I scrolled down about 2/5 of the way until lines started with BADGE_HUMAN, and I added this line:
    BADGE_HUMAN18,Badges/humanID_18.tga,0,0,128,128
  9. Once those are edited, drag them into the proper sub-folders of your Mods folder; Badges for BadgesTable.txt and GUI for SpriteTable.csv.
  10. Then finally move your .tga image into the Badges sub-folder and you’re all done. I’d upload the one I used, but the forum doesn’t accept .tga files in posts.

I’m impressed, that took a bit of effort to pull off. If I ever come across something I really just must have in-game now I’ve got the instructions on how to make it happen, thanks man!

I played vanilla again and got bored, and swear I had issues getting mods to work. Maybe it was the 4GB patch that wouldn’t play nice with my Steam version of SoTS?

I enjoyed my first complete campaign in this one, probably play another race in a new campaign once I finish taking a spin in stardrive (that one with mods from the outset because it finishes the game).

In the next run of SotS I plan to figure out how to get Bastard of the Stars mod to work (hopefully).

First, make a Mods folder in the game directory and keep in mind it works as an override. Next, you have to tell the sots.ini what to do with it by adjusting the Modules section

[Modules]
Mount1=Mods\Bastard Sword of the Stars 4.02
Mount2=sots_local_en.gob
Mount3=sots.gob

(Mount1 takes priority over Mount2 and Mount3)

Finally, unzip your BSOTS into its own folder (make sure it’s not a folder-in-a-folder, something we’ve all done when unzipping before) and drop it into your Mods folder.

That’s it - you’re good to go!

Thank you! So the 4GB patch for the .EXE is not really needed?

Only if you’re running into crashes (it shouldn’t hurt anything, however).

Edit to the above: the newest version of Bastard of the Stars is 4.02, so change the folder reference accordingly

Thanks. I’ve got it installed and running. Yay!

Firing up a 150 star 5 race campaign of Bastard Sword of the Stars as the humans.

Might be slow going as I’m still quite obsessed with AI War 2, so I’ll be bouncing back and forth between the two.

God but do I love playing a space game with an actual honest to god 3D map, it’s just glorious.