Sword of the Stars: The Pit announced (roguelike RPG?)

The Pit’s been on gamersgate for a couple of days. Anyone tried it? (I’m trying to download the demo http://sots-thepit.com/demo/)

I only got the preorder code late last night, so I’ll probably post some impressions tomorrow.

It came out yesterday. Do you like Rogue games? I did two playthroughs and got down to level 12 out of 30 on normal difficulty.

GET THIS GAME YESTERDAY (i.e. not only do you need to get it, men in black will be coming soon to verify you have it installed already)!

A very developed/thought out sci-fi roguelike that isn’t afraid to fark with you (that MAG Rifle sure is neat, ohh, looks like it just got vaporized in a door trap).

The closest recent comparison might be Dungeons of Dredmor (some sinilarities in graphical presentation and crafting systems), but even then it is pretty unique.

You can play as one of three characters who all sort of embody one of the game’s three primary stats.

Marine (Might): A buffed powerhouse that come fairly well armed and is decent with both rifles and melee type skills. The downside is that he’s not so good at things like picking a lock, repairing a lab station, or hacking into a computer.

Engineer (Brains): The brains of the group that, while light in combat training, he can pick locks, repair damaged systems he comes across, and even craft new items out of debris he runs across.

Scout (Finesse): She is the stealthy survivalist. She can scavanege, craft, and pick locks like nobody’s business but is not as brilliant a hacker as the Engineer nor as well combat trained as the Marine.

Seriously? It’s actually good?

Swear on a stack of Bibles and such shoot!

I love how they bring back an aspect too many roguelikes are afraid to touch, and that’s your inventory and equipment. Items have durability which can go down from you using them but also from the character being caught in a mine, grenade, or acid trap.

I’m also loving the detail in the various weapons. Each weapon has its own accuracy, damage, penetration, rate of fire, durability, stat requirements to use, and associated skill set. Sure your Auto-Rifle might be a devastating long range weapon, but is it the best weapon for this given situation? You’ll need to factor the range, your skill with rifles, your current ammo supply, your opponent’s armor, etc. With the game’s dozens of weapons it often feels a bit like a day of golf and needing to pick just the right club for this given hole.

I backed this on Indiegogo, I need to figure out how to get a key I suppose.

You’ll get a GamersGate key most likely by the end of today.

Oh, thanks, I had thought it was already released and I was supposed to have it already! Do you know how the key is distributed to me (via Indiegogo registered email or something else?)?

Email based on your Indiegogo info AFAIK.

If you buy it on GamerGate, do you get a Steam key - when it makes it to steam?

It was just released and I think they’re STILL sending out codes (started early yesterday morning and were definitely still going late into last night).

Nope you get a DRM free copy of the game.

Just spent an hour with the demo. The level of polish is great, I love the 90’s DOS game aesthetic and music. The UI is straight forward, no crashes.

Problem is, they forgot to put any gameplay in this thing, it meets the bare minimum definition of a roguelike - random maps, items, and monsters. The first few levels are fighting 4 different kinds of rats. The 5 level demo can be beat by just moving forward and using your pistol, with the only real decision being if there are a bunch of monsters on the screen maybe you want to use a grenade or switch your shotgun. Leveling up is unsatisfying, I get to increase my gun skill by 2 points out of 100, yay? There are no skills to use in combat, and the corridors are 2 to 3 tiles wide, your only real tactical choice is which weapon to fire (pro tip: 95% of the time it is the pistol). Some monsters inflict status affects or have ranged attacks, but for the most part either wander around the screen randomly or make a beeline toward the player, no interesting behaviors to be found here.

When put up against other casual paid roguelikes like Cardinal Quest, 100 Rogues, or even the free DoomRL, there is no there there. You’d probably find more interesting gameplay by grabbing a random 7day roguelike entry.

Whoa. Either that demo is based on a pretty early version of the game or they REALLY didn’t want to spill too much. While I’m sure it’s a decent indication of the basic gameplay mechanics/UI, the real game has dozens of beasties (not all rat variants), a wide variety of weapons, all sorts of crafting fun, and a rich lore behind the whole thing that you can piece together from the decrypted computer messages you find.

I went to download the demo, and all I can find is something saying “coming soon” on their official forums and then something named a demo on shacknews. Kind of weird - perhaps a beta?

Just tried the demo and I’ll admit I didn’t make it too far until I died from disease (I don’t know how to cure it … oops). While the pistol is always handy, you run out of ammo quickly. There seems to be at least some depth to the game and the crafting is a good concept, although I didn’t get to explore it much. Seems like a fine lightweight game. Nothing to write home about, but that’s life. Oh, and it wasn’t all rats. :)

Standard Terran medkits heal one level of disease per use.

DOH! smacks forehead

(of note: typing “<smacks forehead>” apparently doesn’t count toward the minimum characters for a post)

I tried the demo, game ain’t bad at all. Seems to be a perfect fit for netbook gaming. Not going to buy it until its 4.99 given the amount of AAA level games being offered for sale these days at nearly or even less than the current price of The Pit. But I’ll definitely be monitoring the development of this game. If they can add more content in the future, I’ll definitely throw money at the devs.