Swords and Sorcery: Underworld

Swords and Sorcery - Underworld Gold is done and will be released next Thursday after some feeble promotional attempts. S&S Underworld is a kickback to the turn-based, party based RPGs of the late 80s, Might and Magic being the most noteable influence.

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

The gold edition offers tons more content, many of the issues mentionned here and elsewhere fixed (just saw I had overlooked the very first one though) and of course it is much prettier if you like fantasy / comic art style.

The site URL has changed but the previous redirects to the new one.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/olderbytes
Twitter: www.twitter.com/olderbytes
Video trailer (1 min): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fva490LpVJo

Of course if there are any questions I’d be happy to oblige :)

Charles

Charles,

I missed this thread the first time around. Your game looks great, and having been raised in the era of Alternate Reality, Wizardry, Phantasie, M&M 1 and Dungeon Master, I am a sucker for the nostalgic look and feel of old school RPGs like this.

Are you in the process of trying to get your game onto a service like Steam or GoG? I think the latter would be a perfect place for this given it’s link to classic RPGs.

Congrats on the release and the culmination of all your hard work. The game looks great, and I hope it is very successful.

Thanks! Now that you mention it it seems like a perfect cue to introduce my Greenlight and GoG wishlist entries ;)

Greenlight: Steam Community :: Error

GoG wishlist: http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/games/swords_and_sorcery_underworld

Line art reminds me of Cobra Mission.

Greenlit and GOG wishlisted! Good luck!

Thank you :)

This would look rather spiffy on an iPad, methinks. Any hope for iOS, Charles?

Keeping an eye on this. I hope it turns out great and sells bunches.

The story about iOS is I used Game Maker to program it. The new Studio version is multi-platform (including iOS) but I’m still on the previous version (which is still PC-only). So yes it can be done, but I have to rebuild it from by copying / pasting all 500 or so scripts, learn the code modifications that have been made to the built-in language and debug.

I plan to do that slowly but surely because that’s the kind of work that can drive an old man crazy :-)

For those of you that are surprised that I used Game Maker, know that if you only use coding (not the point and click functions) it’s pretty much a C platform, more or less. Cheap and with good support when you’re stuck. Perfect for a former insurance salesman that knew nothing about programming.

@Freezer-TPF- Thanks :)

Hmm, I may have to give this a shot. I actually fired up M&M1 earlier in the year when I got it off GOG and had a lot of fun playing up to level 10 or so again and it was a lot more fun than I anticipated. My challenge as always now seems to be finding time to play, but I found out I still get a lot of enjoyment out of these sorts of games and found the interface didn’t hinder me as much as I thought it would. It probably helps that I grew up with these games.

I will post some feedback once I get a chance to dive in and congrats on finishing your Gold edition!

Looks fun. Count me in.

Very cool, upvoted and will check it out.

Thanks Kelan, Creative assem… Er Nomad Soul and BigWeather. Yes, these games are tons of fun if you can get into them. :)

This looks like it would be an incredible game to curl up in bed and play on an tablet. iPad!

Voted you up on both Steam & Gog.

Thanks Jpinard, I appreciate the help! Mac & iOS ports should be made available but I haven’t done those before, making it difficult to provide a reliable ETA.

+1 for an iOs version.

Looking good. I played the original demo and liked it, very reminiscent of MM1, not quite sure why I didn’t buy it. But I guess I’m glad I didn’t spoil it so I can play this version. I have voted for this on Steam and GoG.

Ahhh was just about to buy this but I guess it’s not out 'til Thursday?

Dunqan

@Dunqan and… Well everyone: Thursday has come :)

www.olderbytes.com

Thanks for your interest! Do try the demo and see if you’d like to give the sequel a nudge ;)

I had time to download and play the demo for a bit yesterday and was able to pick it up pretty quickly even without looking at the manual at all. It was familiar enough to the old classics that I was able to jump right in. There are a few mechanics and tactics I didn’t try yet, but the basics of fighting, buying/selling, and equipping the party were pretty straightforward so far. It probably helped me a lot that I played M&M1 last year I am sure :). I must say that I liked the option to inspect an item and it would show you which class could use the item and damage stats, etc. Also, when I tried to equip a shield while already wielding a 2h weapon, it popped a yellow message up explaining to me that I already had a 2h weapon equipped. I wasn’t expecting that level of feedback.

Now I think I need to grab the full version as I got 4 out of 6 of my guys to level 2 and can’t seem to progress any further.

How does the game purchase work? Do we get a key or something to enter in the game? Can my save transfer from the demo to the full version somehow? I just started with the pre-built party, but will probably start over anyway and create my own so it probably isn’t a big deal either way. I am wondering why there are 3 starting towns and if you can start in whatever one you want? It looked like the pre-built party was only in one of the towns.

Looks good so far and will try to get the retail version up and running tonight. I already had the game on my mind all evening while watching a movie with my wife and trying to figure out how to get out of it to play a few more turns!