Swords and Sorcery: Underworld

This is available for $5 direct from the developer through the end of the weekend.

Wow it’s been a long time. I’ve been terrible at posting updates but it’ll be easier now that they can be more “visual”.

The sequel’s new engine is nearing completion and I’m rebuilding Underworld in that engine. This update shows the new combat:

http://www.olderbytes.com/arena-combat.html

Release date for the Definitive Edition announced! Nov 3rd 2015 on Steam and OlderBytes.com.

Here’s a trailer that summarizes many of the updates visually.

Kinda loving the art-style for the drawn stuff, Charles. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date (even though everytime I see this thread, I think someone’s making an OD&D-esque Gold Box-rebirth for the new era using the Sword and Wizardry retroclone rules)!

Sorry for the confusion. I tend to write out the whole name (it can get tedious) to avoid confusion with another Underworld. It seems I’m trapped between the hammer and the anvil :)

Thanks for the update, Charles. Looking forward to checking this out.

Definitely interested!

I was doing my normal daily browsing of upcoming Steam games and noticed this is listed as releasing today. No price yet, but will check into it a bit closer later today.

I have way more games than I can get to right now, but probably won’t be able to resist supporting Charles on this as I really did enjoy the previous build I played.

Why thank you Good Sir :)

That is very nice but if you already bought it you’ll be getting an email tonight with a Steam key.

Ah, excellent! I just received my Steam key and activated it.

I will put together a few of my original comments and try to put a quick Steam review up while mentioning it was based on the older build. Is it still the same main game in the new engine/interface?

Well… quite a bit has changed, yet remained the same…

t’s pretty much a question of layout but beyond that quite a few things are more fleshed out.

Thanks and have fun!

Thanks again for the key, Charles!

I spent 39 hours at the game the past couple weeks and actually completed it and did a 100% achievement completion for my first Steam game ever, heh. I never did get through the end elemental realms the last time, but this time I actually didn’t have much trouble at all and believe I built my party a bit better. There were some neat events and puzzles at the end there that I didn’t get to experience the first time around. I really got stuck on the source of the dragon attacks, but stumbled into it while exploring more.

Well done on the UI upgrade and game in general. I didn’t recall the beginning and some of the battles being so brutal before (can be periods of frequent reloading), but overall was a great experience where battles remained challenging throughout on entering each new zone even with end level skills and equipment. I actually had more trouble with earth spirit cave ins than anything in the last zone and completed that without any reloads including the final boss battle :).

Congratulations for saving the world! :)

I bought this yesterday and I’m really enjoying it so far. I just made it to the dwarf town. I haven’t managed to open any of the ‘arsenal’ doors in the barracks and feel like I’m missing something very obvious. Next session I’m hopefully going to figure it out so I can help out the Alchemist. I got an ancient bow early as loot and it’s silly overpowered but also silly fun.

You should be OK at the arsenals. It’s pretty straight forward. The ancient bow is quite the break indeed, with a low drop rate. Lucky you :)

Thanks for your support!

I opened the arsenal doors. I have no idea how they opened, but whatever happened it worked. Now that my Robber and Archer have their first skills, fights have become a lot easier. With the ancient bow, my archer is a Grinning Death Machine™. Great game that is very well balanced. So far so good.

Is there a specific formula for wielding 2H weapons in one hand? I’m wondering if it’s worth it to pump STR on my casters to get their staves one handable.

No that is the powerhouse skill and only the knight gets it.

edit - Those two switches opened the doors.

I’ve finally moved on from Underworld to both the sequel, which has made great strides but still requires a lot of work, and a side project that I opened a new thread for. It’s a TB strategy game and is currently on Greenlight, hoping to clear before it shuts down. Naturally, upvotes would be appreciated :)

Here’s a link to the new thread: Iron Ruler, TB strategy by OlderBytes

I’ll also make one on Sovereign as it nears completion.