Syfy channel's "reboot" and new logo

[quote=“Woolen_Horde, post:19, topic:129731, full:true”]
I thought about this more, and here’s the problem for SyFy.[/quote]
That people keep writing their name as “SyFy” even after they changed it to Syfy?

They need to keep pushing The Expanse during the period between seasons so people binge and get caught up. Unless you’re the type that doesn’t sit and pay attention while watching, I can’t imagine you wouldn’t get hooked with one or two episodes. It really is that good.

Hahah that’s a pretty good summary.

I think that it’s supposed to be the destination (and cheap to produce) programming that draws in people interested in the topic and can serve as an infomercial for the rest of the lineup. I’ve not watched E! since The Soup, but I got the impression that’s what E News was. People interested in entertainment news would watch, but lots of the “news” was really promos for the network’s reality shows.

The CW has proven that wrong. They are tiny compared to the major networks yet they have built their core set of shows around their own DC universe. Syfy just need to pick and chose. They have a flagship show in The Expanse along with a number of smaller yet surprisingly decent to good second tier stuff. I was surprised myself how much I liked 12 monkeys.

Anyway, the new logo feels more science-fictiony to me than the old one. Seems to evoke the Starlog logo without explicitly copying the font.

Does anyone else still hate that they’re called Syfy?

I like the new logo. Has a slight retro cyberpunk feel.

I don’t like it. It looks more jumbled and far less clear than the old one, and splitting it into two lines makes it look like it’s saying, “See Ya, Fuck You”.
I wasn’t exactly fond of the old style, but I like that new one even less.

Maybe that’s my problem. I’m one of those that thought they should have stuck with the now-ancient SciFi name, whether it was copyright-able or not. I loathed the change to syfy, and haven’t been able to take them seriously since.

Yes, I can’t stand it.

And the new logo looks like some toy I would have had in the early 80s, but not in a good way.

Yeah, I agree the new logo is crap. Like I mentioned earlier, no big deal its just marketing and Im more concerned about content. And regarding content, they really should be promoting The Expanse more. I really dont see much promotion of the show, outside the Syfy channel and that seems pretty self limiting on their part.

They are still cranking out interesting stuff that just doesn’t get noticed. I thought Incorporated was decent for example, but nobody watched it.

As I no longer watch that channel, I knew nothing about The Expanse. I’d heard it mentioned here and there, but never watched it.

Then I saw it was on Amazon Prime (I don’t know how long it’s been there, but I just noticed it last week) first season free, and thought I’d watch the first episode anyway…and holy shit, I was impressed! I may even pay money to see Season 2 if the rest of Season One holds up. Only saw two eps, but I loved what I saw. I could not believe I was watching a syfy show.

The Magicians is pretty good too. Not Expanse great, but a long ways from the previous SyFy quality levels.

I can’t even look at that new logo. Maybe if it’s shrunk and zoomed out it won’t be quite so offensive.

The new logo is IMO pretty spiffy looking.

Yeah the Magicians is pretty solid. I haven’t read the books but from what I hear the changes made for TV by restructuring it into more of an ensemble rather than single protagonist ended up being an improvement.

Until you have to see that bright yellow in the bottom corner of your screen all the damn time. It’s just obnoxious. And the letters are so heavily stylized that the S and the F in particular don’t even look like letters until you study them for a second. That logo would probably look just fine hanging in a modern art gallery, but not as a logo that is supposed to be instantly recognizable as conveying meaning.

At least the old logo was easy to read, and was unobtrusive, as much as I hate the actual ‘word’ itself.

I think the books are better, but the show is going its own way in a pretty enjoyable fashion, and it’s true that the characters are, in general, more likable.

I’m going to be sick of the new logo very quickly. Way too chunky and retro, and will look goofy in pretty much all advertising it appears in. I really don’t see the need to “reinvent” themselves so soon after the last logo/marketing/programming change.

As to programming, I’ve been very happy with their move to more original series content and less “Sharktopusachondanado” schlock in the past couple of years. I’ve gone from not watching anything on Syfy to now watching:

• Expanse
  • Twelve Monkeys
  • Dark Matter
  • Killjoys
  • Incoporated

All of which are decent to excellent shows. None of the announced new stuff really sounds all that interesting to me though.

The one thing that really worries me is the comparison to “E!” and “E! News” when talking about incorporating their web content into the network in a more pronounced fashion. I worry that we’ll get a lot of stuff that borders on the ridiculous, like nightly “nerd news” programs about happenings in the comic book, super hero, sci-fi and fantasy print/film/media worlds and a slew of talk-about-it shows like “Explaining Expanse” that air after episodes. AMC has done that by expanding on Talking Dead to have similar content after a few shows and even a whole show just devoted to Chris Hardwick talking about whatever…and it all pretty much sucks except for the original Talking Dead.

Whoah. Hold up. I may want to see this.

You do realize that logos can be different colors, yes? Just do an image search for “syfy logo” and you’ll see many example of the old logo in at least three different colors. Both the old and new logos are monochrome logotypes, so they’re trivial to recolor.

And since each letter is a monospace block, they can easily be rearranged. We’ll probably see variants of the logo with all the letters in a single line, horizontally, vertically, whatever. Graphical versatility was clearly part of the design spec.