Symphony of War: a fantasy-themed take on Advance Wars and Ogre Battle

I don’t think it was Hero’s Hour because I think it was a game I was considering getting.

Brigandine combat is classic IGOUGO turn-based, not at all like Dominions.

I wonder what I’m thinking of. I can’t remember. Brain shutting down.

I hope you remember because I’m kinda interested!

Conquest of Elysium 5??

Actually, from the description on Steam it says the battles do get resolved automatically in Symphony of War.

“The gameplay focuses on grand-scale operations, outwitting and out-planning the opponent, while individual battles are carried out automatically and are thrilling to watch unfold.”

This was the game I’m thinking about. So, is there player interaction within the battles in this game or no? I’m so confused :-)

No, you move your squads and can initiate a combat but then it autoresolves. It’s just about setting up the positioning so the right squads are in the right place, keeping your squishy assassins from being targeted, etc.

While trying to avoid what feels like an unending stream of assassins sent your way. I’m getting tired of every battle revolving around finding a plan to deal with the rogues and assassins; that’s my primary complaint with the game. So many squads of assassins after the midgame.

Disciples I and II?

It’s one of only three examples I can think of outside of Ogre Battle that adheres to that formula. Battles are typically limited to a fixed # of turns (either set to two, like Disciples, or until everyone runs out of possible actions, like Ogre Battle). Unit behavior can change based on where units are positioned. Disciples let you fight manually if you wanted, where as OB is only automatic.

Symphony follows the Ogre Battle model more closely (combat is automatic), but it seems to ditch the “unit behavior can change with positioning” aspect.

Soul Nomad is the other example of this sort of thing.

I would really love a new Disciples game that iterates on that unique combat from the first two games rather than where they’ve taken the series. Then they could go back to that awesome 2d art style for the units too!

I’ve been enjoying this one but I’m starting to lose some steam. Just hit Chapter 20 and it looks like things open up a little so maybe that will help. I already have my money’s worth either way.

Anyone know how many chapters there are in the game?

I think there are 30. Although there’s something weird with chapter 20 because there is 20 ABC.
I don’t know what that means maybe you have to pick one of them?

At Chapter 20 instead of just “deploy” you have side quests you can do as well. That’s what A/B/C/etc. are.

Me too. I love the squad construction, unit upgrades, and combat in these games. It’s an underutilized strategy/RPG blend that works really well for me.

Just Finished my warlord play through. The game is very deep with a lot of options on character and squad customization. I didn’t do as much with it as I would have if the UI Had been better, but I still Enjoyed it. And the story was much better than I expected. nothing groundbreaking but nothing cringe worthy and a few nice twists. One issue is that for story reasons some of the characters became very powerful and I think this made the last part of the game a bit too easy. But they say they are still working on both balance and the UI, and I look forward to another play through when that happens.

This has worked really well for me to stream to my iPad and I can play a mission on the couch before bed. Haven’t actually tried it on the big monitor with M&K.

Oooh, good to know, thanks!

It’s always a crapshoot whether or not the weird resolution of my iPad will be supported or not. In this case I didn’t have to fiddle with it at all.

Good to know, thanks!

This plays beautifully on the Steamdeck. I’ve been enjoying what little I’ve played so far.

Not sure why I didn’t notice this one earlier, but it turns out to be a lot of fun.

I have just one quibble. I thought permadeath meant basically iron man. Lose your main character and start all over again. So I left it off (which is the default).

Turns out that this means you cannot lose ANY units. Even lowly level one units knocked off during battle return at the end of the battle. Which sharply reduces the tension in the game.