Synthetik - Tactical, Top Down shooter

Anyone else playing this? I picked this up during the Steam Sale and am really digging it. As the title says, it’s a top down tactical shooter with multiple classes, a bunch of different weapons/items to find, a progression system for each class, co-op play, etc. Blurb from steam below:

> Master SYNTHETIK’s uniquely rewarding magazine eject and active reload mechanics!> Weapons can jam and produce heat , check yourself before you burn yourself!
> Tame the movement based recoil, discard and switch between varied ammo types.
> Savor the uniquely satisfying and direct weapon handling, rewarding precision and mastery!
> We even brought headshots for the first time to the top-down perspective !

Also they are in beta for a standalone expansion that features a enemy wave mode.

On my wishlist, it looked great back when Tom streamed it last year.

Yep the expansion looks great also!

according to the synthetik discord, that expansion is going to be a free to play introduction to new players releasing on the 15th, with a paid component to get access to a few locked features.

I got both this and Enter the Gungeon during the winter sale. I’ve enjoyed both, but this has grabbed my attention more as I’m really digging the tactical aspect of it. I was able to beat the 2nd boss earlier with default difficulty settings which is the farthest I have gotten. I had a super upgraded nail gun which basically makes it’s own ammo and that made a huge difference.

I bought the game a week or so ago after seeing people nominating it for the 2018 Quarterlies. I’m planning to put time into it tonight. I tried playing with a mouse and keyboard last week, but wasn’t favoring the controls. However, I’ve noticed that the developers are now saying in the Steam forums that the game supports controllers 100% now, so I will be giving that a shot this time around.

From what little I’ve played so far I can tell it will be up my alley, I just need to stick the controls.

I almost always prefer controller in games, but I’ve only played with K+B so far and it’s felt pretty smooth.

I really enjoyed the gunnery feedback of this game. It’s like Crusader: No Regrets with a proper control scheme. Sadly, it also shares with that game the bland visuals and quite slow pace, especially when navigating a level. But I didn’t play it enough to know if that changes later on or not — the game was too demanding for my little computer!

It’s because of the chatter around here that I just returned to this game. Playing the sniper is SO FUN.

@tomchick any thoughts of cutting out the 3 minutes of “standby” screen on your YouTube videos? Not a big deal, would just be nice if I didn’t have to find the start of the videos.

I agree, with that said it’s also the only class I’ve used so far.

How do you move with mouse and keyboard. Do you move with the mouse or with WASD?

with the first boss you really just have to keep moving and shooting. I pretty much just move in a circle around the arena shooting and reloading.

The 2 new weapon limit is brutal. One of the toughest things is getting attached to a gun, then opening a crate and seeing a purple gun inside and having to decide which weapon you want to keep.

Also, if you guys haven’t done it, on the launcher screen you can click a button to fill out a survey for them. It asks questions about what you do and don’t like about the game. After filling it out you get a code that unlocks a new starter gun that is pretty powerful and fun to use.

yeah but sometimes I already have 1 purple gun and the blue gun I have I’m thrown a few upgrades into and don’t want to let go.

SYNTHETIK: Arena is out now and F2P!

And it’s really good. I’ve tried some of the other classes, but I ultimately find no reason to play anything other than the sniper. Love it.

Console updates now on the PC side.

So glad to see this still getting updated!

I put a few more hours in this weekend after seeing that an update was released. This isn’t a game that I’ll just sit and play non stop for weeks, but it’s a great game to pick up and put a handful of hours into over a weekend.

I just started playing this, and so far I have to agree. I’ve been trying the others out, and the Commando is cool, too, but I’ve gone furthest with Sniper by far.