Synths, music hardware, your SoundCloud, etc.

So it turns out we have some synth fans here! I’m going to move over some posts from the Playdate topic.

Do you have a synth? Do you make electronic music? Do you want to talk about that? Do you want us to listen to your SoundCloud? You are in the correct topic.

(psst. @SadleyBradley, @krayzkrok, @geggis)

Welp, I fell down a rabbit hole and ordered one of these:

https://teenage.engineering/products/po/metal#po-35

If they had had the KO in stock, I would have ordered one right there and figured out how to pay for it later. Those are amazing.

That pocket modular synth… oh my. It’s a good job I have a steely resolve.

I’ve been eyeballing those for a while and never seen them in stock. Also eyeballing this but it’s way too expensive.

https://teenage.engineering/products/op-1

The op-z also is amazing:

https://teenage.engineering/products/op-z

Anyhow, I just got a Korg minilogue xd so I need to stop browsing the teenage engineering site.

The OP-1 looks so cool. I hadn’t heard of Teenage Engineering until this thread, and now a big chunk of my day got eaten up.

See, now I’m jealous. :) Perhaps I can sell my vastly underused Korg Radias and replace it with that instead.

This is one of my recent favourite videos:

Yuri Wong really knows his way around that device so check out his other vids.

Oh and I apologise in advance for that tune getting stuck in your head.

I have a Korg Kross 61. I have a SoundCloud with no electronic music (yet) but some tracks I played/arranged on the Kross. And I’m getting used with LMMS and FL Studio to try my hand at PC-based music making, with two projects I had in my mind for a long time.

I’d love to have a proper audio interface and Ableton Live, but I don’t have money for either, so I try to manage with what I do have. ;)

Do Roland MIDI units count? I have a couple of them. ;)

I used to have a small studio, all hardware synths (Korg Wavestation, Korg M1, Roland U-220, Emu E-max II were the main ones), but these days it’s Reason plus some other digital and to date one bit of hardware (Korg Radias, which I’ve hardly used). I really want to get more analog synths.

Here’s my Soundcloud, although less and less representative of where I want to go with my music. I need to upload more stuff on there. The dates on those are when it was uploaded. Breed is 25 years old as you can probably tell. ;) That’s the only one from the old studio, professionally mastered and released on CD. “Approaching Draconis” is totally digital (Reason) but professionally mastered and also released on CD (that one’s more recent). “Aliens in Our Midst” was used in one of those DDR-style arcade games (that was fun to do).

So yeah, how’s that Korg Minilogue @Clay? :)

I have no synths, no music hardware (acoustic guitar aside, which my dad has had for a few years now) and no Soundcloud! I’ve just always had a passing interest in some of the processes of making and recording music and sound. I don’t necessarily understand much of it but I hugely respect it.

At university I did quite a bit of sound recording/sampling and manipulating for interactive pieces, usually accompanying animation. For that I used SoundForge but these days it’s Audacity and I’ve got access to Adobe CC so that’s Audition which I haven’t used yet.

I’ll be sure to swing by here with any interesting stuff I come across!

I just bought it a few days ago! The xd is very hard to find, so when I saw one, I snagged it quickly :)

We also are in the midst of a furniture transition, so sadly, it doesn’t have a “home” at the moment. I’ve been dragging it around the house and playing on my lap.

So… in my limited experimentation, it’s awesome! For a small all-in-one that is reasonably priced, it has a very rich feature set, IMO. You can get it without the keyboard, if that’s your preference.

I’ll post more impressions when I get the tables moved and rearranged and can hook it up to my computer, etc. Apologies that my impressions are thin at the moment!

Here’s a photo, though!

@krayzkrok Have you checked this out?

“Fight on DAW around the world” is not a phrase I was expecting to read over coffee this morning. That looks insane enough that I have to try it I think.

I enjoyed all of those. Really nice. If I had to pick a favorite, I think it would be Hive Mind.

I look forward to listening to anything else you want to upload.

Also - @Clay thanks for creating this. While I am not a music creative type person, I really enjoy listening to all sorts of music.

Thanks @Tman, I appreciate it. I’ll do what I can uploading more stuff soon.

I had a problem a year or so ago…I’ll post the list of synths, controllers and beatmakers that problem resulted in when I get to my PC…

Really good stuff krok!

Hey, that was great and I want to hear more!