System Shock 2 on my old hardware

Meh, it’s my thread and I’ve already talked more about SD than old hardware, so might as well. Of course this is why I have no time for games… :)

Anyway, 'round $1300 for a great 2-bed in the expensive parts of town. If they ask more than that you’re being ripped off.

I haven’t even seen Max Payne running on any console, but I can’t imagine a PS2 would do justice to the game’s sexiness.

Here’s what a quick skim of Gamespot’s review digs up:

More importantly, the game loses much of the original PC version’s polish in translation to the PS2–loading times are bad, and the game’s sluggish frame rate and blurry textures aren’t flattering, especially if you’ve seen the far-superior-looking PC and Xbox versions of Max Payne. If the differences were only skin-deep, they wouldn’t matter that much, but they run deep enough to adversely affect Max Payne’s gameplay.

The PC version’s visual quality–on a suitably good PC–managed to completely live up to the very high expectations produced by the early press. No game to date had featured such sharp, starkly realistic graphical detail. But the fact is that Max Payne for the PS2 lacks the original game’s picture clarity, high resolution, color depth, lighting effects, and smooth frame rate.

So if you can’t play this intense, original action game on any platform except the PS2, then that’s where you should play it–but only by default.

Sounds like the PC might do the trick for you. Max Payne is a game with its flaws (it’s faux-cheese might come off as actual cheese, the action could come off as repetitive, and it certainly is a short run), but I loved the original and I loved the sequel (which, incidentally, also runs perfectly fine on my home system, without sacrificing too many bells and whistles), and it might be just the title for you to enjoy on your system.

Yeah, as a kid I grew up in the suburbs so my wife dragged me here kicking and screaming. Turns out she’s right, I’ve grown it like being walking distance from everything.

It’s also approaching half a million for similar quarters to what we got.
I still shake my head in wonder when I think back to when I was actually worried that pulling every cent that I could out of my 401(k) to put into my house was a bad idea. Of course, now I’m a freaking financial genius.

My house is the third box to the right of the red pin.

Point Loma is nice too, Kevin. I used to work on NRAD and a bunch of us would eat lunch out on the point and watch the harbor. Like Rimbo said, a 2 bedroom apartment should run you about $1300.

$1300 sounds great (well maybe not great but is in line with what we were thinking). Thanks for the help!

I’ll back up Gamespot’s assessment, even though I actually played MP2 on the PS2 instead of the original. There’s a dramatic difference in pure graphical quality. Lower resolution, lower-res textures, frame rates are iffy when things get hectic…

Somehow I doubt the original MP fares any better.

It’s still a good game, but no way would I play it on a PS2 when I can get far better graphics AND better performance on even my woefully outdated PC (it’s weaker than Rimbo’s).

Fan friggin tastic game! One of my all time favourites. In fact I’m playing thru it again now with the new textures and sound updates. It’s like getting a new game.

And now I want to go dig up my SS2 cd.

i played a little SS2 last night

hold me

For the life of me I can’t get SS2 to run on my XP Pro system. I’ve tried no cd EXE’s and patching and compatibility modes and all that, and I still get an error whenever I try to run it. Anyone else with problems?

I’m using the Underdogs version, and that works, but you have to download The DivX 5 Codec and install it first. Since you clearly own the title, there’s probably no harm in downloading this.

Also… is it me, or does the in-game music actually detract from the immersive experience? I walk through a certain door and this music queues up, and right when that happens… I suddenly remember I’m playing a video game, and not actually fighting for my life.

Hey, that did it, I finally got to the menu. Thanks!!

I like the music just fine. Just not in the actual game. I just turn it so low that it’s effecttivly off. Makes the Von Brun that much creepier! 8) You can hear all of the mutated crew lumbering around searching for you much better (i guess that’s a good thing :shock:) .

Welp, I just played for an hour, and remembered why I stopped playing the last time…those damned monkeys! I HATE them. For some reason, they scare the piss out of me. In my last attempt at this game, they’d always kick my ass before I could kill 'em. This time, I just said “to hell with it” and went at 'em with the wrench, which worked pretty well. MAN this game is creepy, even during the day.

[size=2]everything in this game scares me[/size]

[size=1]a LOT[/size]

Back on the San Diego sub-topic, I’d agree $1300 is pretty likely for a rental. It’s too bad, because if you can scrape together a down payment on a house you can pay a mortgage for not much more than that. Though we’d be talking about a down payment in the tens of thousands of dollars.

I live in the new part of Chula Vista, near Eastlake. Friggin’ awesome new community with sidewalks, bike trails, and parks about every half mile. I can see Tiajuana from my house, too. :)

There are apartments there, and they’re probably more reasonable than the swank areas like Hillcrest, downtown, etc.

[size=1]damn straight, brutha[/size]

I’m stupid. Plese tell me exactly how to adjust the files so the gun degradation is nil and the spawn is nil fo this game. I want to play it all the way through, but I just gave up around the time I’m trudging through radioactive ahllways, trying to do the thrid prequest or whatever to the first quest, that of getting an elevator to work, shooting gun turrests and having a zombie walk in every FIVE FUCKING SECONDS. So, help?

Found it, hope this helps:

Find a file called user.cfg in your main SS2 directory. If it does not exist, you will need to create one. Copy the ip.cfg from your \HELP directory to your main SS2 directory and simply rename it to user.cfg.

Open user.cfg with a text editor (ie: Notepad) and clear everything out. Now, you can type the following words into the config file to enable the cheat functions:

undead - God mode
gun_degrade_rate 0 - Weapons do not break
no_spawn - Monsters do not respawn

Save the config file after you have finished editing it. When finished your file may look something like:

undead
gun_degrade_rate 0
no_spawn

Is godmode, nospawn, and no degradation really necessary? I’d like to play the game as intended if at all possible. Although I think I’m gonna go with those newfangled fancy-pants models.