System Shock 2 Soundtrack 'released'

Yes, SS2 did respawning enemies perfect. Thanks for the post rockman - I love game soundtracks.

Woohoo! It’s like a John Carpenter movie soundtrack! Love it already! Great game too!

etc

shudder No, it didn’t; enemies would respawn as soon as you turned your back on an area, in some cases before you even left the room. I’m all in favor of “constant danger” respawns, but not when they so blatantly defy expectations.

• Alan

Here’s my shameful little secret…I’ve never played SS2.

I bought the EA “Classics” version a few years ago but never got around to installing it. Yesterday I installed it and spent some time downloading the various graphical upgrades put out by the community (SHTUP, DeepFriedBeer mod etc).

Now all I need is some time to play…

If you happen to have SS2 installed, and open up SND.CRF (which is just a renamed ZIP file), you’ll find all the music chunks in nice convenient WAV files under the /songs folder. Granted they’re only 22KHz, but the nature of SS2’s music is such that the quality difference is minor.

Listening to the just-released soundtrack, IMHO the music appears to have been intended as standard linear compositions, with an eye (ear?) toward allowing it to be chopped up afterwards into dynamic arrangements. Examining the game files reveals that five of the songs aren’t dynamic at all. They’re just big linear slabs o’ music.