System Shock 3

ultima_underground

Oooops, I should double check my posts late at night.

I could blame it on autocorrect, but it was an honest mistake, shows my age. :‑|

Ultima Underworld of course. :-)

Otherside has released another pre-alpha teaser trailer.

On the one hand, it looks a lot better than the previous teaser. On the other hand, aesthetically, it looks about 0% cyberpunk and 100% Aliens.

It’s also apparently set between SS1 and SS2, so… yeah.

It has a non-AAA “clean” look, I agree, but the gameplay’s the thing.

On the Otherside Discord, the community manager said it’s still years away and looking for a publisher. This was announced way back in 2015, right?

“WOOHOO for hype! This is just a teaser though, we still have a couple of years ahead of us before we release. Also need that publisher! :)”

Nah.

UA probably didn’t help, but my guess is Prey was the real killer. Prey was an incredible game, extremely well-reviewed, the latest in the line of Looking Glass-esque titles, and it sold poorly.

Not the end of the game, but it was her popups throughout the game that were brilliant and deeply disturbing.

Prey is great, and is basically the closest thing to a System Shock 3. Much more so than BioShock and Dead Space. I think it just didn’t have any buzz whatsoever, and the enemy design is kinda one-note, and it re-used a name of a previous game that was totally different…FPS in the post-Doom 3 vein.

PREY would have probably done much better if it had another name.

The name was definitely a mistake. I thought it was a re-release until someone corrected me.

I liked Prey, but honestly, the enemies just didn’t scare nor intimidate me at all.

SS3 edge over Prey could be a more charismatic villain and more intense horror vibe.

Maybe the audience just doesn’t exist for such a game if it isn’t also being developed on a shoestring indie budget, or isn’t getting cash infusions from whales.

This is a weird stance since these days you don’t really need a publisher.

I wonder if what they’re really looking for is more money to finish the game.

Publishers help with marketing too. That’s what killed Prey, nobody knew about it.

Nobody knew about Fallout: New Vegas, either. Or maybe I’m just making up an excuse.

F:NV had a strong IP and followed a successful game.

The point I was trying to make was that Fallout: NV was less successful than Fallout 3 or Fallout 4 because it tried to be smart. But looking at it further the sales for FNV were actually still very good.

I don’t share your dim view of gamers, my feeling is F:NV undersold F3/F4 because it wasn’t marketed to the same degree and was outrageously buggy.