System Shock Remake

This looks very promising. Hope they manage to complete it.

This was my thought as well. It’s like they threw as many special effects as possible at every scene, just because they want you to feel like the original experience has been ‘upgraded’. I’m still impressed though that the weird, cramped architecture of the original actually feels like it’s a realistic space with these effects.

I think it looks less “busy” than the original. To my eyes at least. The original still looks like it’s too much for my brain to process.

Oh, no doubt. I don’t think the original ever looked GREAT exactly–partly technical limitations, partly art direction. This looks far better, and more like a real place. Just a real place with… smoke everywhere?

There are quite a few mobs shown in the video.

Not in the new one, just the old one from 2016.

My bad, didn’t scroll up far enough!

And yeah, the smoke/fog is a little excessive.

Nightdive posted a full playthrough of the Medical level:

I like the looks of it, though all the fog and specular highlights could use toning down.

Sounds like they’re still struggling with the music. The track that kicks in around 4 minutes in sounds straight out of Minecraft.

Zylon is mostly satisfied. Ship it!

I like what I am seeing, just the right amount of flashing buttons and screens on the walls.

So interesting that a remake of my favorite game ever was the one that put me off Kickstarter for good.

Thanks, Nightdive.

This is… perfect.

You’re welcome, I guess, but it’s divedivedive.

That track is a remixed downtempo version of the original.

That’s actually really interesting.

Overall, that looked pretty good, though as has been said the interior fog needs toning down. In addition, I don’t like the voicework. These people are in a desperate life threatening situation, yet they sound totally calm and collected, as if it were just another day at the office. They need some emotion and desperation in their voices.

It’s been a long time for me, but I think those audio logs are from the original game.

Also I don’t like how everything is too colorful, it’s set on a space station, and the AI is a bad guy.

Were those padded rooms like that in the original?