System Shock Remake

People seem to have forgotten that the original System Shock natively supported VR, complete with head tracking.

People seem to have forgotten that the original System Shock natively supported VR goggles, complete with head tracking.

Everything old is new again.

Huh, I never knew that.

I had to test that system. Rage inducing headaches. Top rez of 320x200!! Woo!

Haha! That must have been a nightmare. I remember Seamus Blackley talking about that VR setup in the excellent Gambit LGS interview series. Always ahead of the curve.

I can’t tell you how excited I am that Nate Wells, Robb Waters, Terri Brosius and the rest of Looking Glass alumni are going to be working on an official sequel to one of the best series ever.

it seems awfully dramatic for your worst fear to be about game that has never been announced, and may never ever be remade :)

I loved Shocks 1 and 2 and can’t wait to return to that world, but they started an entire genre-- there have been many, many spiritual successors over the years, some of which have been spectacular games, like Bioshock.

Underworld, though, not so much-- nothing else really gets that feeling of exploring a giant subterranean dungeon, all alone. Only Arx Fatalis ever came close. I’m much more excited about UW3.

So obviously we are in the very early stages, and getting everyone to refocus back on UA after a few days of SQUEE!!!
But…that said, some of the ideas that are being spitballed around for Shock are pretty fun.

And some of which were very pretty but completely missed the mark, like Bioshock.

I know it’s the less popular of the two games but I hope SS3 is more like the first game than SS2. I thought the original was flawless providing a superb experience without the hassle of more traditional rpg systems like experience points / weapon degradation. SS1 also blew away the sequel in terms of level design.

Jaz…well…the folks that did SS1 are on staff, so you know…Nate is currently the only SS2 alumni.

Sounds like someone has blocked out the often-suicidal grenade-tossing mechanic.

Great news for me! I love the concept of hardware module upgrades that fit perfectly in the universe as opposed to needing the required “cyber modules” required to fire a shotgun. It was so strange how the mission givers just handed it out. “Good work! Here’s 4 modules.” What? Why are you drip feeding me this stuff?!

Hmmm… I remember it was dangerous, but was still useful. Just remember to save before use!

Cyberspace had some issues like navigating the currents and the lack of sound effects but it was a unique change of pace after navigating through the horrors of the citadel. I liked how exploring fully gave you access to new data, games, locations. I do kind of agree with the last part. Conceptually it’s the perfect way to end the game but how it was handled left something to be desired.

I disliked the end of System Shock 2, as well. I don’t think SHODAN can work as a tangible monster that you have to do battle with, and I hope they don’t go there again for the sequel. There has to be a more creative way of handling it.

Uh, for the exact same reason that games themselves don’t hand the player a million XP right at the start-- so the player/character will be motivated to continue doing as they’re told.

Sure an artificial game mechanic.

Congratulations, I guess, on trying and failing to understand what I just said.

Well, I disagree with you there. IMO, Bioshock 1 was a nearly perfect game in design, execution, and story. It hit on all cylinders.

System Shock was extraordinarily ambitious, and I loved it, but wasn’t nearly up to the same standard on all three major factors. Obviously just my opinion. Great game, and an all-time classic-- but no Bioshock 1. Not one of the best games of all time.

Underworld, though, is another matter. Yes its design and execution was primitive, and its story threadbare, but it gets a ton of props for being the very first of its kind.

I dislike boss battles in general.

We will have to agree to disagree. Bioshock is good, not great. Gameplaywise I found it very bland compared to the old LGS games.