System Shock Remake

That describes them in the remake too, I’d say.

I was curious, because I don’t remember any details from the original game, so I looked up the Bridge maps for both versions. The new game isn’t 1:1 (probably for the best), but is surprisingly faithful!

Yeah, the original Kickstarter success led to hubris, an expanded design scope, search for a major publisher, then collapse.

ND then retooled and downsized the project and went back to drawing board and eventually did a remake that’s nearly 1:1 in design.but with modern rationalizations.

Hey nice, coming to consoles in May.

FYI, the final battle is being improved in the upcoming 1.2 patch.

New patch is out with the aforementioned improvements as well as the option to play a female protagonist-- although I don’t think you ever really see yourself outside of the intro, it’s a nice touch.

One more week, only patch notes are out for now.
Glad they did not abandon it, I still intend to play it.

I’m planning to start my first play through next week.

Oh nice, seems like a good time to finally play it! Too many games etc.

I just finished it ! Ah well, great game and I hope those who held off have a terrific time of it.

Behold!

Fixed:

• Fix for 1.1 saves not loading properly on maps with a Loader Bot present.

• Fix a case where after loading a save the player would remain in a combat state indefinitely.

• Fix several cases where mission waypoints were showing up incorrectly.

• Fix for user waypoints not showing up on the map.

• Fix for Shodan not animating in the final pseudospace sequence.

• Fix for several effects not rendering properly on the female hacker.

• Fix vertical spacing issues on subtitle text on certain display configs.

• Fix for movement inputs sticking when entering and exiting menus.

• Fix for not being able to throw grenades when jumping.

• Fix for corpses and limbs being frustum culled while still on the screen.

• Fix for computer node monitors on Storage not displaying the correct code in certain cases.

• Fix Reactor region labels on the automap.

• Fix for cargo lift screen not displaying level transition properly in some cases.

• Fix for cyberspace FOV interfering with realspace FOV in certain cases.

• Fix for Diego remaining invisible if staggered while teleporting.

• Fix for coins sometimes being invisible when dispensed from Credit Machines.

Adjusted:

• Shotgun reloading will now prioritize small ammo stacks.

• ‘Vaporize All’ will ignore existing scrap items.

• Reduced Avian Mutant health from 125 to 100.

• Force Diego V3 to reappear when he dies to prevent cases where his corpse would be invisible.

• Hacking a robot will reduce their awareness by 90% instead of only 50%, but the effect wears off instantly if they are damaged.

• Hooked up cooldown and disabled states for cyberspace software.

• Made Decoy and Recall software obey stacking mechanics and consume only one per use.

Added:

• Added the ability to create messages for user waypoints.

• Added a health bar for the player in the final pseudospace sequence.

• Added shortcuts to use Explosives and Consumables on the RB/LB buttons on the gamepad.

In case you missed the latest update, read about it here:

System Shock EventThu, April 11, 2024
Patch 1.2 & -55% Sale Now Live!
Female Hacker, Reworked Final Battle and Cloud Saves among many of Shodan’s Update.

Thanks again for the players support and helping us reach the vision we’ve always had for this classic game. We look forward to seeing you insects once more in Citadel Station.

• Your System Shock Team

Can you change difficulty on the fly in this game?

I don’t know if it’s been changed since release but you couldn’t change it after starting. I found it a bummer as I wanted to reduce the cyberspace diffficulty.

No, you cannot.

I just wrapped up playing this on PS5. I enjoyed it overall. There are obviously a lot of quality of life things here but it still retains a lot of the feel and challenge of the original SS. Here are some observations.

• I liked the vending machines economy. I don’t remember this being a part of the original game.

• Cyberspace is A LOT better… except for the annoying green enemies.

• The UI text is really small. Especially the flavor text on the items. There’s no option to increase the font size. Pretty lame.

• HUD opacity doesn’t work? Or maybe it’s too slight to notice. I found the description of highlighted items (which appear at the top center of the screen) was almost impossible to read much of the time because if the image behind the text was too bright it would wash everything out.

• Map Marker doesn’t work. This really sucked. There were lots of times I would have loved to drop a pin on the map to remind me of where some important loot was.

• I really enjoyed the puzzles.

• I feel like the music was a missed opportunity. There’s not much here and it leans toward generic ambient. The original game had some memorable themes. You can hear a subtle callback to this on the executive level.

• Save scumming is the way. Just like in the original.

• The final boss battle is way better. It was a little annoying due to some unclear rules, but I managed to beat it after around a half dozen tries.

Worth the money spend. I’m glad I played it.