System Shock Remake

At least Night Dive has the advantage of having a strong library of ports and re-releases on Steam and GOG, so depending on how those associated costs break down, there’s a chance they might have a steady revenue stream, and can release a smaller-scale Shock 1 reboot down the line. If that’s the case, the worst thing about this particular campaign will be they dramatically delayed the game and wasted backers time with this detour into a full-blown re-imagining of the original game (with unnecessarily new features like a dismemberment system) rather than the remake they originally pitched.

Well, looks like I have to thank my bank for not allowing the KS fund to go through. And I was too lazy to fight them at that time and the craze was over once they were funded. I talked myself into supporting them when they released. I loved the demo they did and played a few times. It’s a shame they went a different direction! A true shame.

Seems like StarCitizen isn’t the only game that got into megalomania once they had some $.
Shame, was looking forward to this one, but didn’t fund it as I learned my lesson from SC to not spend money on KS.

Still, Maybe the time is right for a Hired Guns remake pitch on KS.

My eyes just rolled so hard my cat swatted them underneath the refrigerator.

Exactly. ^^^ Gosh, I wonder if there will be any SS fans concerned about this “”"""""“NEWS”""""!!!

back on track

delayed til’ 2020

…does not compute…

it’ll be ready in “2 weeks”

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2135868

So what does this mean?

It means we’ve gone back to the original vision we shared with you at the start of our Kickstarter campaign - this time with more reliable performance and higher fidelity visuals thanks to the Unreal Engine.

Are we starting over, is this all that’s done?

No, we’re not starting over. We have been able to re-use the majority of work we’ve done over the past year and we’re making significant progress in a very short amount of time.

It seems Jason Fader (the game director for remake) and Night Dive parted ways in March.

Source code for the original released is more exciting.

Looks pretty cool. I remember getting System Shock when it was new. Those Origin games were like seventy bucks, and I picked it up on a whim, thinking, “man, this could be a colossal waste of money.” But, of course, it turned into one of the best things I’ve ever played. Even with the rather awful cyberspace sequences, that game was so atmospheric, and so evocative, that it raised the bar for me in terms of this sort of experience.

Same here. I lived that game for several weeks, even skipped work IIRC for a few days.

Weirdly, it’s also where I started using “S” as the forward key (the default), and I’ve remapped every single game I’ve played since then that way.

As far as cyberspace, it was the only part I didn’t like … I recall just bouncing around mashing buttons until something happened. I guess they’re still working on that, i.e.:

Q: What is the plan for Cyberspace?

A: We’ve worked on a few concepts throughout development and haven’t settled on anything quite yet. We currently have a two person team working specifically on Cyberspace and will hopefully have something to share soon. We feel like it’s such an important part of System Shock’s identity that we want to make sure it provides a jaw-dropping reaction the first time it’s experienced.

I think the original is still my favorite shooter, though not due to its shooter characteristics.

For instance, the GUI (IIRC) [edit. and controls] was very efficient at displaying scenario objectives, maps, logs, etc. but was not so great for combat.

It had a freaking rear-view mirror!

It’s been many years since I played. But I don’t see a mirror in any of the screenshots. Are you remembering the right game?

Yes there is a hardware attachment you can equip for rear view in one of the side panels.

The Sensaround Multi-View Unit, or Sensaround, is a hardware attachment found in System Shock. Sometimes you’ll wish you had eyes in the back of your head. The Sensaround attachment turns the Inventory Panel into another view screen, showing what is happening behind you. Later generations operate in real-time and change the MFDs into side views as well.

can totally vouch for this… and don’t forget this is a game before even Quake 1 and they have a rear view mirror! That’s amazing technology in the making!