Tabletop RPG Club Season 2: Fate Core vs Savage Worlds

I was in the group with him last time. It started at a not too bad 2 hour time difference, but then because of the counter cyclical seasons/ DST (do I ever hate DST), it ended at him being +4 to me, and +3 to @mtthwcmpbll and @Otthegreat. It was a legitimate issue, sadly. We made it work, but it was not that easy, really.

Which is a shame because I’d love to be in a group with him again, but ironing out the details would be tricky.

Hopefully we can get some USE folks or a good weekend group for ya, then!

. . . yes?

So long as we have a large enough pool of willing GMs (and I think we do this season), it’s not unreasonable to think that we can scale pretty high. You wouldn’t be taking up anyone’s “slot.”

I swear I’m not trying to drug-dealer pitch you here. But if you’re interested, we’d love to have you (and anyoen else) along for the ride :)

Thanks for the extra insight, @CraigM. Looks like there’d be a gap of a couple of weeks where @rhamorim would fall to a +3 diff from EST folks until our DST caught up. . . unless I’m reading the timezones backwards. Which I might be. Have I mentioned I’m really bad about timezones? I always get what “spring forward” means backwards. . .

Wait. What? Why am I here? What happened?

Pretend this is less creepy than it is:

Besides, you’ve got a freakin d20 in your profile pic.

Ditto, my friend. It was such a great group that I wish we could play again and again for years. :)

All I know is that currently I’m PST + 6, and when BDT chances to BST (in late February, I think) and PST to PDT, I will be at PDT + 4. I worked for a time for a Sunnyvale-based company, so I memorized that pretty well. Just adjust for East Coast. :)

But neither of these games use a D20!

Seriously though, suppose I vote and want to play? What’s the commitment? A couple of hours a week? Set times?

Can we all agree that Daylight Savings Time is a horrible idea, and one we would do well to be rid of?

Also, were it up to me, Chicago would shift over to EST. We’re right on the border, and I hate how during the winter it is dark when I leave for work, and when I leave work. I’ll literally not see daylight for entire weeks.

It depends on the group. It’s flexible like that. My group was 2-3 hours, semi flexible time, every other week, because that worked for us.

We split groups based on (to the best of organizers’ ability) a mixture of timezone and time committment. Some groups might meet as often as weekly; others are 2x/month. Some go longer (3-4 hr), others shorter (2hr). I believe the signup form has blanks for all that data.

edit goddammit @CraigM

Okay. Vote I did then.

While I won’t hide my fascination for tabletop RPGs, I am a terrible player (and I mean a really terrible one, the kind Armando Penblade would never dare mention on a podcast because they are as much an embarrassment to themselves as they are to the whole table, the kind that is a just pain for the GM because of some ill-placed non-stop skepticism)… and I don’t speak English sigh

Thank you very much for the invitation, and I wish you guys have a lot of fun (seems some of you already did!)

You what? Coulda fooled me!

I would be a bad choice for GM this time out because I don’t know either system very well and as I said in the other thread will be moving sometime in the middle. But if I’m needed, so be it.

I wouldn’t call Savage Worlds as crunchy as those systems, no. But it’s definitely more so than Fate or PBTA, and my specific qualm in this occasion is the aforementioned map based combat. I have not read the rules at all so maybe that’s not as core as it sounded from the sessions I have listened to.

It sounds like @CraigM would be eager to GM this go around, so if you want to “drop down” to just playing and let him take a crack at running things this time around, that wouldn’t hurt anyone :-D

I don’t think I can realistically schedule solid chunks of time at the moment, but if you ever wind up doing something more free-form and asynchronous I might be interested.

I’ve been wanting a reason to pick up the Savage Worlds book for a while so I bucked the voting trend! But I’ll be excited to play Fate too, and in truth it probably will lend itself a bit better to our online groups.

And just a reminder that we’all try to take time zone into account this time… it was in fact a pain in the ass for all the groups, so we’ll see how to make that easier this season.

I should take my name off the list. Finding 3+ hours in a row to play isn’t always that easy at the moment.

Also, while I enjoyed what we played in S1, I think it’s possible PnP might just not be for me.

rubs hands together with possible mischief in mind

Part of the reason I’m so excited by the club is the opportunity to GM a game, which is something I’ve never had the opportunity to, but have ideas for man. Ideas, I tell you!

Speaking of, if I do, and you find a mysterious letter in the mail…