Tabletop RPG Club Season 2: Fate Core vs Savage Worlds

Yeah, I think the time commitment will take me out of the running too. I’ve got two small kids and I seriously doubt I can line up that much time in one shot, plus I’d probably screw up the game if I had to drop at a moment’s notice, which is always possible.

Hey, I’ve got a 3 year old, and another on the way. I get that on a deep and visceral level.

Is this going to be live on Skype or Twitch something?

We did season 1 over the Qt3 Discord channel. It seemed to work well enough.

We have been using a combination of Discord and Roll20.

If my group is amenable to it, I’d like to stream my sessions via Hangouts Live (basically YouTube) or Twitch.

Whether or not we do so, we’ll probably go ahead and use a combo of either Skype, Hangouts, or Discord (for voice/video) and Roll20.net (for dice rolling, character sheet management, and whatever maps I opt to crudely scrawl out).

Should we fill out the form in the main RPG Club thread again if we participated last season?

I’ll be unavailable starting the last two weeks of April, but would still like to join in this season if that won’t be too much trouble. I guess that’s potentially up to the group I end up in.

I’m not sure if I should vote if I’m not going to play, but after last year, everyone should know to never not vote.

-Tom

I mean the obvious solution there is to vote and play ;-)

You have awakened me from my ages of slumber. Now I open one of my six mouths and sing the song that ends the Earth.

But first I need to read the thread again.

Yasssss

For additional context, while being excited about a potential new participant, I’m also excited to see one of my favorite individual comics ever quoted!

This does sound fun, and I downloaded the Fate Core rules to check it out. But I’m not sure how realistically I can commit to a regular session.

Well it is, hold on the thread is yelling at me for 21% of posts…

There. Better.

As I was saying @Richard_Holt it kinda would depend on the group. Obviously trying to coordinate people gets tricky, but if someone wanted to participate but wouldn’t be able to make it every week? If this is a known thing in advance some GMs would probably be willing and able to accommodate it.

Like I know for my part if I knew you would be unable to make some sessions, I would try and accommodate that as I could. Find a convenient reason for you not to be present. Obviously I can’t speak for everyone, but just myself. But I generally want to find a way for people who want to participate to be able to.

Yeah. One of my favorite players in my main IRL campaign leads a crazy life and jets all over the place. Running a Star Trek esque campaign with away team style missions makes for a convenient reason for her character to not be around sometimes.

Like here is an idea for what I would do.

So @Richard_Holt lets say you are in my group. You know in advance that you’d only make maybe half the sessions. So I give your character a cursed amulet*. What this amulet does is unknown, but all you know is that, occasionally and without warning, you find yourself shifted into another plane where time moves in non linear fashion. So if you are fighting a battle one week, and the next time you couldn’t make it? Your amulet flashes, enveloping you in a silvery light, and your corporeal form is no longer present with your companions.

Then the session after you make it? Your body is returned, mostly intact, but you bear a strange rune and some wild ideas that may or may not relate to your quest at hand.

Basically make it part of the story!

*one of several possible ideas I have. Others involve making you some extra dimensional creature, a cross between Merlin and Rincewind whose magic will glitch out on them at times, or simply having a returning gag of having you always be the one to set off some mysterious trap door every time, no matter where you are. Said trap door mysteriously always returns you to the group too.

just came to chime in that Savage Worlds was very easy to play and get back into PnP after 20 years.

Oh hey, now see a Star Trek role playing session would be right up my alley. Hell, I even have some old FASA Star Trek RPG sourcebooks. Weird thing to have for a guy who doesn’t play pen and paper RPGs? Maybe!

In my case, it’s definitely more Star Trek parody (with bits of Star Control, Mass Effect, and Futurama thrown in for good measure), but yeah, I am familiar with the old ST books. And owning them isn’t weird at all–I read all of the Shadowrun 2nd or 3rd ed manual in 7th grade just for fun. . .

A Galaxy Quest RPG, then? Because that sounds AWESOME.

“By Grabthar’s hammer, by the suns of Worvan, you shall be avenged!”

. . . that is a much better way to describe it.

Damn. I’ve been missing that obvious point of reference for like 2.5 years now.