Tabletop RPGs 2021

It’s funny you mention this, because I had some frustrations with these rules for one of the modules I GMed. The combat and setting are so well considered and fleshed out—and yes, excellent—I found it odd that more time wasn’t spent in the rules talking about, for example, overland travel since a big part of this game is organizing expeditions. You could hand wave it all away and start the adventure at the site, but for the group I’m playing with, one of the appeals is managing an adventuring company and planning the expeditions so that doesn’t quite work for us. Plus, thematically it makes less sense because so much of the setting is based around the idea of adventuring through a dangerous forest to get to even more dangerous ruins. And the combat itself is so fast and brutal the game would probably be over in 30-45 minutes without the expedition part. Also, the treasure rules often payout so much money that it’s hard to find things to spend it on without doing the outfitting-for-the-expedition parts. The ‘head’ GM of my group didn’t have any good answers either because he’s handling the Throne of Thorns story cycle for us and we haven’t needed to worry about it so far. I made it through eventually, but prepping for it was more time consuming than I wanted it to be.

But, I know that the exploration and adventuring rules are detailed more extensively in the Mother of Darkness book, so there are rules out there. Unfortunately, I didn’t know that at the time and that’s the fourth part of the story cycle and my group are still in the second book (I believe we were between the first and second at the time). Still, I might jump ahead to it if I have to GM another adventure pack module or standalone adventure before we get there.