Tabletop RPGs 2021

I have maybe half of Free League main books. Good construction, binding, and they all are laid out to reinforce the theme of the game. Coriolis must have given license holders confidence picking them to create and print Alien. I’ve never had a book so black as Coriolis. It wafted inky smells for years. I just picked up MÖRK BORG, and it surprised me by being so tiny. With a tad more reflection, that’s actually perfect for an OSR sort of game. 96 heavy (paper), metal (music subjects and style) pages. They give credit to “Typefaces: Over a hundred”.

My personal tastes interfere with appreciating the games themselves. I dislike the family of games based closely on the Year Zero Engine. I need more rules to hang my play on, mechanical crags to provide anchors for story and interpretation. The chances of success for an average roll also look low, making me think they run the games like down/mixed/up beats from PbtA without encoding that knowledge in the rules. There’s a hazy thought that Fria Ligan merged with another Swedish publisher some years back, so perhaps not all their games from the past worked this way.

Action, tactical RPG sounds great to me. I need to give Symbaroum a read. A play, ideally, but it’s hard to find more compatible people to play RPGs with. The current ones have their time already filled with what they like. It leaves only small chances to try a few of all these other interesting RPGs.