Tabletop RPGs 2021

Free Leauge, of recent Alien Rpg fame, has released a trailer for their latest foray into licensed P&P Rpgs, and this time, its Blade Runner!

For now, its just a trailer, as they are wont to do for their games, and the actual game is a year or so out.

Based on their last games, the production values are sure to be impressive, as shown in their Alien released, and their winning several ENNIE awards recently as well.

Really looking forward to this - I just hope they aren’t spread too thin, and forego support of their other games, such as Coriolis, Aliens and Forbidden Lands.

Yup. I just checked and it looks to still be a free pdf. I thought it was an odd term for a copy of a pdf (which is all I could think they were talking about) when I read it, but now it makes even less sense. So back to Yay! I guess.

“Hacked”, in tabletop RPG terminology, means they’ve changed some part of the game, be that rules, premise, etc for their play.

This! Hacked didn’t even register as a bad thing for me as its such a common thing to do. All the games I run are “hacked” in that sense!

What the…???

youths

And ya, adjusting rules is a norm. Not ‘hacked’. Don’t all rules even say ‘if something doesn’t fit your own needs, change it?’ Which returns me back to my .gif.

No, that’s D&D, which almost nobody plays fully rules as written, but everyone assumes is some unitary thing even when how any given table plays is super different. A lot of indie RPGs have very specific design towards a particular intent and do actually expect you to play as written. Hence language to distinguish when you aren’t. But also, a lot of indie RPGs started life as hacks of some older game.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Back in the stone age of RPGs I had everything TSR put out and a few others like Traveller and a few super hero RPGs. My recollection was that adjusting rules to fit your style was just a thing everyone did. Which is why I never saw the appeal for the tournament modules that scored the players for things and doing the ‘correctly’. Hell, trying to run a Champions game from the book would have been impossible unless everyone had photographic memory. That thing was a beast. Not to mention most of the smaller systems having contradicting rules or the absence of rules for what should be common things.

Still…youths!

I often see hacked referring to changing settings or merging things from two similar games. Such as a Delta Green hack set in the Napoleonic Wars era or hacking the Pathfinder 1e Bloodrager into D&D 5e. Which feels about on par with how hacking was used in robotics/DIY stuff so it feels reasonable to me.

What I’m not clear on is why you’d have to hack Ironsworn to play GMless, since it is designed from the ground up to play that way.

You wouldn’t. You could, however, play GMless with a friend using a version you have hacked in some other fashion.

Ah, I see. I read it as “using a hacked version in order to play GMless…”

Has anyone had any experience with Heart: The City Beneath RPG?

Heart: The City Beneath is an award-winning complete tabletop roleplaying game about delving into a nightmare undercity that will give you everything you’ve ever dreamed of – or kill you in the process. It is a dungeon-crawling, story-forward tabletop RPG from the designers of Spire that focuses on what characters have to lose in pursuit of their dreams in the chaotic darkness beneath the world.

It won 7 Ennies, which is where I learned about it.

I haven’t played it, and may not, as it skews a little darker and more dismal than my tastes normally run, but it is gorgeous and has some very clever little designs and bits to it that I’ve read about and liked a lot.

I think it’s pretty neat that J.R.R. Tolkien fleshed out Middle Earth so much that he had exact demographics thought up!

oh - I wasn’t really looking for something too dark or sinister. We recently played Aliens, from the wonderful Free League, and while also somewhat tense and horror-like, it was really fun, and the mechanics, especially panic and stress are really cool - This may be just a tad too far.

I’ve also looked at Alice is Missing, but I the themes in that particular game are way to intense for us to handle - especially since I play with my(age 22 and 25) kids. I am VERY curious about its design, since its labeled as a “Silent RPG”, using text messages to communicate - Very, very intriguiging!

I love Stars Without Number. Still great! The world generation stuff is amazing!

Well, today’s the day a game and setting I wrote and ran inspired another human being to put permanent art on their body!

Gonna be honest, if I saw that in the wild I would have assumed it was from The Emperor’s New Groove

Still, congrats on making something so enjoyable for your crew!

That’s her inspiration :D

awwwww yiss