Tabletop RPGs 2021

Not with that attitude it isn’t! Show 'im what for! But seriously, I hope it was a blast :D

Speaking of solo TTRPGs, itch.io has a bundle going right now for 87(!!) single-player RPGs. Minimum price is $10, proceeds go to a suicide prevention org. You’re bound to find something in there that sounds cool, right? (You being everyone reading this, natch)

Thanks for posting, and helps a great cause!

Only took a quick moment:

You Are Quarantined With Adam Driver And He Is Insisting On Reading You His New Script

Thanks for the extra information, really helpful!

I will have to investigate this further as I am not sure if 5E will provide what I am looking for or not. I am looking for a solo RPG experience that is combat heavy and very focused on dungeon crawl type experiences…so in some ways like a glorified board game I suppose with a little extra meat on the bone. I think 5E might be able to offer aspects of that, but it might be too much of an investment with a lot of content that won’t fit my needs; I need to research it some more.

Besides Ironsworn mentioned above I am browsing a lot of Old School Revival systems on DriveThruRPG and looking at things like Zweihander RPG. I also ordered some material from both D100 Dungeon and Four Agaisnt the Darkness which I am excited to try.

The fun part is discovering all these new systems since I haven’t done much physical table top stuff in many years and have recently started getting back into it along with board games.

I haven’t tried D100 but hear good things. I do have 4AD and it is pretty good, except for the woefully disorganized rulebook. There are player aids on BGG for it, I recommend downloading what is essentially a fan-made index to the rule book that helps you flip around as you’re playing.

One thing that he Toolbox system has is a mod for Fantasy Grounds. I don’t own FG yet and have no idea how good the mod it but it gets good reviews and might make more elaborate solo campaigns a bit easier.

Hey, don’t pull the wool over his eyes. Brooski correctly discerned that he was being peddled a race option when he was instead asking about a class. I wouldn’t accept this blatant bait-and-switch.

Or… are space marines a race? Re-adjusting fiction parameters.

Given that Space Marines are bred through a genetic alteration process, and that there are different tactical specializations they can pursue, I think we must conclude that they are indeed a race.

They’re not bred, though. They harvest regular humans from planets (I forget what they call them…seed worlds, maybe?), usually where there’s a warrior culture or survival is incredibly difficult, and then alter them in all those ways.

So it’s a bit tougher to say than that. :P

Are they cyborgs?

Maybe a bit? But I think the various implants are at least mostly organic. It’s tech-priests that go in on replacing big chunks of their body with metal bits.

I could have sworn they were cloned at the least, but I’m allergic to actually learning anything about 40K’s batshit crazy lore.

I’m not saying no chapter of Space Marines does cloning (every chapter does things a bit differently), or that no version of the lore has ever involved cloning them, because holy shit that would be a bold thing to do with how much different stuff is out there, but the books I’ve read (and I think the portrayal in Dawn of War games) is that they have specific worlds they recruit from and they take regular old humans and turn them into enormous murder machines through implants, genetic bullshit, and so on.

Edit: I think maybe it’s that they clone the implants? That sounds plausible? There’s a concept of “geneseed” and some of the chapters’ have gotten weird so they like, need to drink blood or are prone to berserker rages or whatever. Fuck, I don’t know, there’s so much lore and I’ve only run into things via the novels and computer games really.

It’s wild that the Alien discussion earlier made me entirely blind to 40K space marines. Waving the details of their method of creation, it seems like a 40K space marine is a different creature when the process completes. Yeah, that’s a perfect example of marine as race.

You have to harvest the gene seed from your dead comrades. That is what Space Marine apothecaries are for.

I guess the gene seed is sort of like an immortal line of cancer cells or something.

When it’s done, among other things, they’ll be over 7 feet tall, be able to enter a suspended animation cocoon if exposed to environments too hostile to survive (e.g. vacuum), be able to absorb memories by eating things’ flesh, and can spit acid.

Haha, wow. The path of components the warforged needs to acquire is laid clear. He’s a Space Marine in the making.

EDIT: I had a hunch and checked, and I have the Deathwatch book downstairs. They have 2.5 pages describing the 19 super-human organs, along with procedures, therapies, and effects, that are surgically inserted over a period of about 6 years to a selected, developing human Neophyte. I’m so happy to have this excuse to crack that book open.

That would have to be a Githyanki battlemaster with a chainsword or something.

I’m considering picking up Vaesen from the same publisher as the Alien RPG discussed extensively upthread. It looks similar mechanically—dice pooling with sixes as successes—but with a more Call of Cthulhu investigatory vibe (never played CoC, but am familiar with some of the board games). All the rave reviews in this thread of Alien are pushing me ever closer to ordering it.

Anyway, Vaesen is set in nineteenth-century Scandinavia (a.k.a. the ‘mythic north’) and deals with investigating mostly unseen fairies (trolls and the like) and related creatures from Scandinavian folklore. It seems to have an industrialism vs. nature conflict inherent to it: the modern displacing folk beliefs of the old, science vs. magic, etc. I’ve also been interested in a ‘mythic’ US setting—striving for an Over the Garden Wall kind of vibe—and this seems easily adapted to that once the Scandy stuff is exhausted.

The scandahoovian setting sounds cool, actually- reminds me of the movies Troll Hunter and Border. Thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out.