Tabletop RPGs in 2017 AD

Pretty strongly, yeah.

Fuck, I really need to read my copy of that.

Attempting to redirect from a non-TTRPG thread.

@ArmandoPenblade what system would you use?

I ask because I imagined HarnMaster for myself. I had a lot of fun automating it almost entirely on OpenRPG … a while back.

I am not suggesting anyone else experience that “joy”, but am curious about your low fantasy system of choice.

Especially since it seems like a modern narratavist system is not the right tool for this job.

Might as well just play Stormbringer then.

A summary of the West Marches was linked in the other thread, but I remember bookmarking the original way back when. A really interesting take: http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/

More information there.

Well, one of my other TTRPG white whales is Adventurer, Conqueror, King, an OSR title adding more explicit worldly power growth mechanics to B/X inspired D&D rules, plus a fascinating regional economics engine that at least runs in part off the idea that there’s a gold cycle of monsters raiding civilization for treasure and hoarding it in lairs, then heroes questing to retrieve it…

Fria Ligan is working on releasing Forbidden Kingdoms (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/forbidden-lands-retro-open-world-survival-fantasy ) which seems relevant. I don’t believe it’s randomized by default but that doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to tweak.

It’s kind of a mix. You have a fixed map but the location of important, plot relevant places is randomised.

I’ve played in a few Adventurer, Conqueror, King games and even ran one. It’s a lot of fun if you’re the type that enjoys the economic crunch. I remember sitting down with one of my players for a hour figuring out how much money the group could make by starting an opium ring. Ultimately people got tired of the constant death and maiming, though.

I took the ACKs economic rules and ported them into D&D 5e for another game. It worked surprisingly well.

Possibly offtopic but too funny not to share

Noted for when my girls join the scouts and start selling cookies!

That’s awesome in so many ways. Thanks for sharing! ;)

Marc Miller’s Traveller was my favorite science fiction RPG of my junior high school days. I also didn’t quite get it. Neither did my friends, so we ended up talking about it a lot more than playing it. I have a lot of nostalgia for it, though, as evidenced by my inability to not write stuff about it. NB:

I pulled it out a few days ago and it has been sitting on my bedside table since Monday.

I pick up a random book from the set and read it for a bit before going to sleep. And after more than three decades, I still see why it intrigued me so much. So much so, in fact, that I want to try and run a game. So I think you see where this is going.

Is there any interest out there in a forum game of Traveller™, Original Recipe Black Box Beowulf Edition? I don’t exactly know how many people I would need, or what the adventure would be, but I have some ideas. I also have some ideas about how we could make this work on the forum, based on some other forum games I’ve seen. Since it’s a forum game, it would be easy to use something like Snapshot to resolve tactical combat, since instead of clearing off the table for another game I could just post the images.

One thing I absolutely loved was Traveller’s character generation system. We would definitely do the character roll-up online as part of the game, with players choosing their professions, skills, etc. and me making the die rolls. I loved the decoration/promotion system in Mercenary and High Guard. We would definitely use that.

I see this being a long, possibly super-janky sci-fi RPG experiment with a guy with hasn’t GMed anything since he was fifteen years old. If that sounds like something you would want to be part of, please post or PM.

I made a lot of Traveller’s characters, but not sure that I ever played the game beyond that. (circa 1985)

I am extremely interested in this because I think a forum game is approximately the level of commitment that I can make happen at this point of my life :).

Downside being that I’m not positive how much time I have for rulebook reading ahead of your desired start date, but I will at least throw my hat into the ring!

Also, speaking of spacegame aliens, I really love this “height chart” the artist I commissioned for StS! put together of the species for the game.

Are we talking asynchronous forum game?? I can commit to an average of one turn per day.

I’d love to try this also. I’ve never actually played Traveler but I made a bunch of characters years ago in the PC game.

It would definitely be asynchronous and on the forum. Further format TBD. And it would go more slowly than once a day for sure.

Ok, so rules wise, what should we players read?

I’m guessing book 1? Should we also read 2 and 3?

Also, this might be of interest (I think it’s 100% compatible). Maybe, depending on what you have planned.

I would be willing to consider it but I have no knowledge of Traveller at all.