Tabletop RPGs in 2017 AD

Yes, huge fan of Crawford’s work. Own all of his games and am backing this as well.

And my axe.

Oooooh, I love the sound of that! :)

Has anyone signed up for /subscribed to dndbeyond and have any impressions they care to share?

I already have a home-made version of the PHB/DMG in my OneNote and I copy all my campaign notes and current character sheets into the notebook every week or two at very low personal cost. I really have no use for DNDBeyond, but I’m sure a good digital hub would help a ton of people. Curious to see how it turns out.

This is a killer bundle:
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/ApocEngine2

I already own most of it from Kickstarters but anyone who hasn’t should absolutely grab it if they like Powered by the Apocalypse games at all. Apocalypse World (2E) itself, Masks, Spirit of 77, Night Witches, and Headspace are all extremely recommendable.

I would buy every one of those in a second if they were physical products, but I sadly have little interest in ebooks. That’s just me.

EDIT: Ok I may make an exception for Spirit of '77

EDIT #2: SOLD.

Emphasis mine.

EDIT #3: It also exists as a B&W softcover sourcebook. DriveThruRPG

Yeah, you can buy all of them in print, you just can’t do it as a bundle for under $30.

Finally, an RPG that is historically accurate.

I definitely bought into this a few hours ago 😀

I have them all besides night witches and headspace. Hence not worth the price for me but they are all excellent games. Masks is one of my favourites.

Hah. I found out a month or two back that I knew (one of?) the writers on S’77 pretty well back in the '90s. Small world. That and Night Witches are certainly the most interesting of the stuff on offer.

Now I’ve actually read the description of it, S’77 reminds me of the old '90s Mayfair RPG ‘Underground’. Anyone remember that? Except now instead of just being implicitly about the Vietnam War, it’s explicitly about it.

Should I buy into this set? I just picked up the Esoterrorists bundle (that I’ll also never play).

Yes. FWIW, Apocalypse Engine games are a lot easier to get going (assuming you have players who are willing) because there’s far less crunch to learn and almost zero prep. And there are a lot of great ones in that bundle.

Another neato PBTA game just released (in PDF, at least):

So far it’s hilarious and wonderful and the people I have shared details with who are currently involved in academia say it is absolutely spot on in its portrayal. Not surprising, since the author is an academic himself.

Huh. Immediately makes me think of The Shab-al-hiri Roach, which I grabbed at a game store in Portland a few years back.

"The Shab-al-Hiri Roach is a dark comedy of manners, lampooning academia and asking players to answer a difficult question – are you willing to swallow a soul-eating telepathic insect bent on destroying human civilization?

No?

Even if it will get you tenure?"

I’ll have to look into this.

http://bullypulpitgames.com/games/roach/

One of my favorite quotes, as an option for for the Department of Foresight:

I backed pigsmoke on kickstarter and need to find a chance to play it.

Amusingly, it’s not the only kickstarter games project I’ve backed about academic politics in a college of magic - I also backed Argent: the Consortium.

As I do most of my Roleplaying online now I also came in contact with actual play RPG network RollPlay. There are several shows I like but right now Nebula Jazz is my favourite. They allow me to observe games from the outside and determining what works and what doesn’t for me. I also found they helped me a lot in understanding how rules work at the table, especially PbtA and now Fate, two I had the hardest time grokking. Anyone else watching these?

On the strength of this SUSD review, a buddy and I were sold on the idea of Blades in the Dark, which was briefly mentioned upthread. All they really had to say was “It’s like The Lies of Locke Lamora, and…” I just downloaded the special edition pdf. A few pages in, and they lay this out:

“You’re in a haunted Victorian-era city trapped inside a wall of lightning powered by demon blood.”

and also namedropped The Wire and Thief: The Dark Project and The Grey Mouser and I’m going to keep reading now.

I am boning up on BitD myself, though I backed it on Kickstarter. So far it seems very cool.