Tabletop RPGs in 2017 AD

One of the strengths of the system IMO. The mechanics themselves are just a more colorful and interessting version of what was leftover from all of the 0e expansions and 1e. You could bolt them onto almost any game, as long as “earning treasure” was a big part of it.

for me, the end game is probably “Traveller campaign where you wind up on a fantasy world with real magic, but you have your tech, and use your high tech advantages to fund your kingdom building and eventual world domination, at which point you use magic to enhance your quest to become galactic emperor”.

A fun little Blog Post about unleashing a neural network algorithm on the 2nd Edition Monster Manuals and having it come up with new creature suggestions.

Some of the creatures are… well, here’s a representative sample:

Beeple, Desert
Beet
Big Dragon
Brain, Fire
Burglestar
Cat, Stone
Cloud of Chaos
Dragon, Death Seep
Dragon, Purple Fang
Durp Snake
Dwarf, Giant
Feast, Stone
Fish, Astro-
Golem, Rain
Golf
Hatfright
Horse (Spider, Brain)
Hound, Plant
Man-Can
Marraganralleraith
Memeball
Mommy, Greater
Ogre, Space
Owlborn
Pat, Great, Space
Pigaloth
Purple Bird
Serpent Shark
Shadowstaffer
Slug, Spectral
Undead Lake Man, Fire
Unicorn, Black Willow
Unicorn, Fumble
Unicorn, Sith Sheet
Vampire, Putter
Wolf, Chromatic

I’ve got to admit that a Black Willow Unicorn sounds pretty badass. However, a Rain Golem might not be too much of a challenge for any party equipped with advanced hood-related magic. Gotta watch out for those Giant Dwarves; they’re surprisingly common.

The author did the same treatment for spell lists and came up with stuff like “Hold Mouse”.

That is awesome, thank you for the link, man.

First off, big thanks to inspiration from @ArmandoPenblade and @Jason_Lutes (especially for “Perilous Wilds”). I am experimenting with an “Old School Renaissance” game with a West Marches feel (minus the scheduling) and Hexcrawl influences.

Why? I have spent untold hours over the last 15 years modifying various online tabletop programs to automate different role-playing games. I did HarnMaster on MapTool, SavageWorlds on Fantasy Grounds, Shadowrun Anarchy on Roll20 and others. These were fun experiments, but the amount of time I spent on the automation and technology was almost always less time than the game sessions ran. Also, all of these things are subject to obsolescence, and even if I wanted to re-run HarnMaster on MapTool I am not certain it would work without even more effort.

My new resolution is “a 20 year game”, which doesn’t have to run for 20 years but needs to not become obsolete in 20 years. That means tested rule systems, pens, paper and dice. OK, Excel is acceptable. :-)

The other resolution is “the less time to prep, the more chance to play”.

I am working on using existing generation tables as the seed for a game that is random at the start, but takes on persistence as players explore and interact with the world. For example, a combination of existing random terrain generators, random area names, random but realistic weather tables, and random discoveries / dangerous encounters has resulted in this small start:

01-starting-map

The world generation meta-engine (all simple PnP rules) is the top priority. Time spent on this is still effort I can take advantage of in 20 years.

The next step is a game system. I wanted to use Mythras (most updated d100 Runequest engine) but it may be too much to learn at this stage for my group. However, d100 has been around for 30 years so it would be a good investment of time. A lot of the great supplements that @Jason_Lutes has written for this style of game are for Dungeon World, so I am starting there. It may end up being “too narrative”, since one personal goal of this style of hexcrawl is to use a rules system that is mostly self-governing. Dungeon World is not self-governing.

I haven’t experimented with Adventurer Conqueror King yet. I hear it is well suited for hexcrawls. Anyone know why?

If you are curious about this style of play, I think @Jason_Lutes “Freebooters on the Frontier” book has the best summary:

This game is about exploring dangerous wilderness in search of treasure. The emphasis is on resource management, survival, and the acquisition of wealth.

The characters are not powerful heroes. They are but some among many who have forsaken lives of medieval drudgery in order to pursue great fortune at the edge of the civilized world. They are generally regarded as fools, destined for early graves. Treasures glitter in the darkness, awaiting plunder—and that darkness is littered with the remains of many who have gone before.

The goal is to survive long enough to amass enough gold to retire in comfort and see your exploits turned to legend, sung by bards from shore to shore throughout the realm.

This campaign approach is (obviously) close to my heart! So I’m happy to hear my stuff has figured into your thought process somehow. Ah, the promise of an unexplored map, sure to become deeper and richer with each new foray.

I would love to follow things as they develop if you care to post further. Also, if you haven’t seen it yet, the 2nd edition of Freebooters is currently in playtesting and you can access the files here.

Only tangentially connected: If you like Hex Maps you need to look at Hex Kit.

The tiles are so beautiful

I am a sucker for good hex map creation rules but most end up being very convoluted and granular. Haven`t found the perfect balance yet.

Until that time I love Beyond The Wall approach in Further Afield where you build the world together with the players but a diceroll based on the characters stats determines how accurate the information the character has about a location actually is. So the player says : “My character learned from an old sage that there are some abandoned elven ruins over here” and the GM rolls a hidden test based on intelligence in this case to determine what the actual truth is. The character could simply be right but also horribly mistaken and the ruins might house some nasty blood elves bound on sacrificing you. Or the truth might be that it isn`t abandoned at all and there are actually elves living there. I found this a great in between where even I as the GM get to be surprised by the world.

I am done with region, area and “legend” placement. The best terrain hex generator I found is here:

http://wizardawn.and-mag.com/tool_world.php

I used that for an initial 40x40 hex region, at 6 miles per hex. Assuming no load and all-day travel (of 18 miles), that is about two weeks walk. I also use the same site to generate a 12x14 hex “zoomed in” map at 1/2 mile per hex, to use as a local map if needed.

Here is a raw region:

And here is an example zoomed in hex, that happens to be for the forest south of the red dot settlement icon.

03-area05-forest

Now we need an initial amount of interesting hints / legends / old map icons for the start of the game. I am using a d100 check per hex to determine which sub-table to check for, per the terrain type. I adjusted to 15% chance for something interesting, which seemed to work. The table is:

1-84 = No specific name
85-89 = “Perilous Wilds” p16-17
90-94 = “Tome of Adventure Design” p10, p290
95-99 = “Ultimate Toolbox” p44
00 = GM Choice

I rolled per hex until I had “enough”, and adjusted some words and locations very slightly. The result is:

That all seems to work. Next steps are to populate hexes with major semi-static locations as the party initially travels into new hexes, since the labeled hexes are not the only ones with interesting things on them. I could pre-generate all of these but that seems like a waste of time. “On the way to the Dun Mounds you see a small island in the large inland lake that appears to have a stone house on it.” I will only roll that once per hex, ever.

After that is to finalize dynamic encounter generation per hex, which will continue as the random encounter generator. That will get rolled once per watch as the party travels, explores and rests. “That night, on the second watch, you hear what sounds like a band of armored humanoids trying to sneak up on your camp.” This seems to be the best article for random encounters, but I need to digest it and simplify:

I play the first of our OSR / West Marches / procedural generation games later this week.

Overall I came up with a system that builds the world in this manner:

• Generate the wider region
  • Add a few historical cultures (things that are dead)
  • Add a few active cultures (thing that are alive)
  • Add area names to place on the map, to tempt the party
  • Generate additional sites for them to discover as they travel
  • Generate encounters as they travel

The historical cultures influence the sites. For example, a lost culture can provide the theme of a random site that is rolled up, maybe its a dungeon with a prison theme that I can describe in terms of one of the lost cultures.

The active cultures influence the encounters. For example, there is a higher chance of coming across the local culture, a lower chance of a neighboring culture, and a smaller chance of coming across them fighting each other. It keeps the encounter tables focused on the local inhabitants, and not just randomly generated from the terrain type.

I am using either Jason’s “Perilous Wilds” or the “Tome of Adventure Design” (link) as the basis for the culture’s race, with more flavor on the government and religion from the “Ultimate Toolbox” (link). Here are two examples I just rolled up:

Historical Culture:
Spherical Oozes that can elongate into worm form. Attacked with pincers. Percent chance to be Immune to spells. Exhaled fire that caused things to flee. They were indifferent to other races. They worshiped a giant lord who enslaved them. Led by Sorcerers who prayed for greed.

Active Culture:
Spiderlords, who are a rare, large monster. They like to build (webs, of course). If approached they are aggressive. They have no government, its anarchy. They avoid other races. They are known for their large families. They worship Slyy, the gnoll god of battlefields and axes. They pray for Darkness and Foraging. They call their holy-spiders Prophets.

So, if I roll up a set of ruins as a random Site, then I imagine it was carved out by the ancient oozes, and perhaps decorated with gigantic figures. If I roll up a random Encounter with the local culture, then I imagine its a web trap laid by the Spiderlords, who bind their victims to drag off for offerings to their dark dog-gods.

That is amazing, truly, and captures exactly the sort of thing that I dream of for a game like this. I’ll be following along with great interest; please grace us with some session AARs!

Sounds very cool, looking forward to hear how it goes.

Grognard arr-pee-gee

Literal grognard RPG.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39941/legion-honor

Tom Mc

Grognard, but not an RPG!

Our first Dungeon World / Perilous Wilds / Freebooters on the Frontier / West Marches + Procedural Generation game went well. We used Roll20 with a specific fan-made character sheet for Freebooters on the Frontier’s 2 edition playtest. We prefer Skype for voice, we don’t use video.

Dungeon World was the ideal system to allow us to jump in quickly and run a semi-narrative game with a minimum of rules. For example, we rolled the dice 50 times total in the 2 hours we played (and we were rolling too much). We got held up figuring out spell casting which took 60 seconds to resolve.

@Jason_Lutes’s excellent Perilous + Freebooter’s combo added the perfect amount of old school crunch and random tables to roll on. We played it straight with a “you arrive in a frontier town with a basic map (pic above), where do you go?” campaign and the PC’s made their own fun from there.

Character generation in this system is fun. One character was Leon, the halfling magic-user with white hair that sticks out from under his skull cap. He is Chaotic, and although he is Ambitious he is also Boastful and Antagonistic. His starting spells were “Bolwink’s Deflecting Rot” and the “Call of Draining Fury”. You get more end of game XP for playing up these traits than for killing stuff, so its more than just flavor text.

The extra procedural generation stuff I added (in addition to Jason’s sourcebooks) meant we were all surprised by what happened.

Here is my “just the facts” write-up. I added bold for the randomly generated context and italics for the character’s decisions. The rest is my additions as GM:

Write up

Start Write-up

You left your homes for one reason: to search an unexplored land and plunder enough of its riches to return home rich. You set-off for a new settlement that was built on top of an older town that had suffered some sort of disaster, poised on the edge of a wild continent. You have a map that hints at mysterious places within a few days of the settlement, but the rest of the map is blank.

You met on-board the “Black Dawn”, which was medium-sized sailing ship and maybe formerly a pirate ship. The voyage took a few weeks, a bit longer than expected, and you arrived in the settlement of Laborton in the start of the Autumn. Its run by a well-organized merchant company that keeps things safe and orderly, which allows for a steady flow of goods and occasionally people to flow in, and the valuable pure black timber flowing back to the mainland. The settlement’s flag was a box and a barrel on a red background. The streets are especially busy during the auctions that are held to sell the precious wood.

You stayed in the Deer’s Perch, which is a moderately-sized tavern on the waterfront. Inside is a normal collection of tables and chairs, with a short bar and a glass trophy case along one wall. The tavern is reasonably busy and you have seen merchants, traders and loggers coming through. You know you will be able to buy and sell anything you need in town. There are merchants especially interested in rare furs, skins, and exotic treasures that they can sell back in the mainland, and they often meet up for drinks at the Deer’s Perch.

You gathered in the evening and decided to head south to the forest to explore something called “The Lost Glade”. Everyone prepared and made sure you had enough food, water, shelter and equipment. The next morning you headed out. It was a nice day for early Autumn, bright and sunny and clear. You didn’t travel as fast as you wanted to beyond the settlement, some of your companions were short or limping. During a quick break for lunch you watched a far-off caravan make its way across the horizon and towards the settlement.

You arrived in the woods after lunch. They were dark, with the rare black wood and the dense canopy blocking most of the light. In the afternoon you discovered a perfectly round clearing about 100 yards across, with sunlight streaming down. You noticed a series of smooth, white, perfectly-spherical stones that created the outline of a sun, partially hidden in the knee-high grass.

When you moved the stones, they rolled slowly back into place as if by magic. Your companion seemed possessed, suggested you leave and started to walk away. Someone else grabbed a stone. Suddenly, a wind picked up and knocked them off their feet. A woman appeared high in the trees, gesturing and sending gusts of wind down to buffet you. She vanished when you withdrew, but they appeared again when you tried to take the stones. You began to break the stones, and she became angry and chanted until clouds appeared that caused magical lightning to strike down and stun you.

After a few blasts of wind and lightning, which eventually knocked two of your companions unconscious, you withdrew and she disappeared. You were torn whether to sneak back after nightfall to steal some of these stones, which may be valuable, or whether to head further into the forest. You withdraw an hour’s walk away, remaining in woods, ate a quiet dinner and camped for the night.

In the morning a thin rain began to fall, making things even dimmer below the tall black trees. You decided to continue to search the forest - maybe that was the Lost Glade or maybe it was still hidden elsewhere within this forest. In either case, you were not going back until you had something valuable to show for your time!

End Write-up

As an example of the random elements, the party set off across grasslands, got slightly off-course and entered a forest in a different hex than they intended. In the forest they had a partial success on their search, and found a Discovery (the circular grassy clearing) and a Danger (a Dryad). The exploration of that clearing, the fight with the Dryad (which they were purposefully trying to steal from) and the subsequent debate on whether to sneak back or not took up the majority of the play time. None of that was scripted, all of it was fun.

We play again in two weeks. Happy to share any behind-the-scenes methods in the meantime, or else I will update again after the next session.

Please do share. I find reading this stuff very inspiring for my own games.

Agreed, that was great, and I love the systems, settings, and methods you’re throwing together to make this whole thing work. Very much enjoying following along.

I got my physical copy of Tiny Dungeon 2e yesterday in the mail. Like many others, I’ve been looking for RPGs that can be played online with a minimal of crunch to facilitate play.

Weekly update: a look at random encounter generation and a player write-up from the previous game.

I already covered the initial map, area and cultural generation that happen before the game start, and then “discovery” generation of more sites as the party travels. They may or may not find these sites as they journey through the hexes. What they will find regularly are encounters.

Encounter generation follows a simple “What?” “Where?” “When?” method with rolls on terrain-specific tables. For example, here is an example from a forest, swamp and mountain:

Forest
52 = Local Monster
89 = Treant (link)
97 = A river, creek or brook
29 = A dead animal, partially eaten
01 = Morning, 6am to 9am

Swamp
67 = Local culture or humanoid
Will use the active culture from a previous post, a Spiderlord (link).
13 = Particular foul and dense swamp gas makes the breathing difficult and the visibility worse
3 = Afternoon, noon to 3pm

Mountain:
00 = Multiple: 17 = Local Wildlife + 59 Local Culture or Humanoid (will use Humanoid this time)
04 = Gorilla (link) and an Ogre (link)
29 = Grazing area
98 = Trail signs
2 = Late morning, 9am to noon

That’s just enough detail to get my imagination started to describe the encounter. There is more I can add, like sight (are the PCs spotted?) and attitude (is the thing hostile?), but for now What, Where and When are all I am using

Here is the summary of our last game from one of the PCs:

Summary

(At the Deer’s Perch in Laborton, a fat man known as Zarl the Greenfish is drunk and ranting up a storm. His small hands stroke his arms as he talks, inviting listeners to view the obscene sexual acts between a woman and a green bass tattooed upon them.)

Once I make it, you can be sure I won’t be shacking up in this dingy little place anymore. The bed’s here smell like wet dog and the whole damn place shakes like it’s going to pieces every time the wind blows. Don’t give me that look bartender, you know it’s true. Soon as I can I’m trading up for that place down the road. Folks there wouldn’t sell pig slop and call it food.

Anyway, what was I saying? Yeah, I met up with some of these lads from the boat. Fellas like me looking to make more coin than you poor saps chopping the darkwoods for blue-bloods to make ottomans out of back home. If you lot knew how much your boss was pocketing from your hardwork, you’d be taking those axes to something else, I’ll tell you what. Anyway, I had my doubts about these lads I’m rolling with, but now that we’ve gone brawling together, I figure, they’re just like the boys back home. They just got all swapped around is all. There’s the pretty-boy elf whose face is all fucked-up, he’s a prick like Cityboy was, Gods rest his soul, but when we tussled with the tree-bitch he spent the whole time moaning for us to stop! Even went groveling at this woman’s trunk! Fucking classic Narwick. So, I don’t mind him after all. Gods rest his soul, Narwick was a good mate, his ass-kissing saved my ass more than once!

There’s another good, honest Man like meself with us. I wager he’s the type that picks more fights than he wins on account of his nose lying near flat on his face. Poor brother has got that lung-hacking cough like my good friend Sickly-San had, Gods rest his soul, but not his spirit. This Scrydan fellow mopes like he’s lost his old lady. Mebbe he has. Not many reasons for a bloke to ship out east-wise, and few of them are happy. A good man though. Carried my tent for me the first night. And all the nights after, hahah!

The last of ‘em is this little-guy-Leon, and I don’t have a very good read on him yet. And when I say little, I mean it. Guy had to stand on his chair just to see the table. Nearly pissed my pants looking at him! Anyway, I knew he was one of them mages or wizards or what you like, but I thought he had a good, rational head on his tiny shoulders up until he agreed with the blasted elf to head into the glade! I figured, we just landed, we could get a good lay of the land from ‘top of Prospectors Point, and mebbe find this treasure Scrydan’s been going on a bout, you know, a reasonable little venture. But TIldur, that’s the elf by the way, and Leon voted us down. It came down to a die roll and despite my best efforts to save these daft-heads from themselves we ended going to the glade. You give a man faith, and you give a man magic, and all sense goes right out of their head, swear to the Gods.

Ya can’t sell magic! Am I right?

So, off we go tromping into the woods like a pack of fools, and sure enough we find trouble. We come across these gorgeous elven sun pearls, you’ve heard of those right? Beautiful things, white as an elf’s ass and just as smooth. Huge buggers too, like they’d been spit out by a clam the size of this inn! So here they were, twenty-six in total, and let me tell you, twenty-six is a very sacred number in elven sun-pagantry. See, you divide it in half and you got…. Thirteen right? And then you divide again and then… well, you know. Elves do math different, so I don’t gotta explain it to you, the point is there were twenty-six of these beauts! One of these elven sun pearls can ward off sickness, they say, but twenty-six? Even death itself couldn’t cross ya.

So, what do we do? Well, what any sensible man would, we go to fetch them! After all, they’re just sitting there on the ground, doing no good for no one. But as soon as we make our move this wispy broad steps outta tree and stirs up a storm. Lit’really! Striking us with lightning, blowing huge gusts of winds. Why I’d bet this inn would’ve gone quicker than we did! And she’s ranting and raving the whole time. (He takes on a screeching voice and contorts his face into an ugly sneer) “These are my pearls! You can’t have them! Mine mine!”

Let me ask you, if they were her pearls why’d she leave them lying all out like that? Eh?

She tossed us around pretty good, I’ll admit. There’s no shame in losing a scrap to a spell-slinger. They don’t fight fair. Soon as you think the upper-hand BAM they go and turn you into a turtle. So we uh, made a tactical retreat and got out of there! I snatched up one of them pearls but the slippery bugger must have been under some kind of spell because it just rolled itself right back to the tree-witch!

Now, I’m not a man to usually hold grudges but between you and me, I’m not done with her yet. I’m cooking up a scheme as we speak, and when I take it to that broad she won’t know what hit her! You won’t be seeing me around too much after that. Mebbe I’ll buy a load of this darkwood you’re all selling and make myself a home right on top of that bitches grave, eh? Serve her right.

Eh, what was that? No, I ain’t telling you where to find her! You think I’m daft?!

(End write-up)

We play Session 02 in one week.

Very cool, thanks for the write-up!

I mentioned the tabletop RPG I’ve been working on way back in the dark ages of last year. It’s now essentially complete. Just tidying up typos and such as I try to get things as clean as I can for the print-on-demand version.

Plus, it’s free, and wildly over-written at 270 pages. If you like Powered by the Apocalypse games, gritty-ish nordic-inspired fantasy, and GM-less or solo play, perhaps worth a look.

Also available via my website if you don’t have a DriveThruRPG/RPGnow account: https://www.ironswornrpg.com/