Tabletop RPGs in 2022

Awesome - You got the entire case of props as well? Thas impressive! Is the balcony jumping in Peru? We’ve still only had the first session there, getting ready to set out off the city proper to the surrounding country.
My plan was always just to run Peru, as a single experience - I don’t have a group that can set aside 2-3 years for this :-D

Re Peru storylines

How did your university encounter go? Ours was awesome! I had managed to split up the party into three, actually - two in the basement looking for the young archeologist, and the rest running out when they heard yelling for fire, one coming back as the professor started yelling again.
One of the players found a person bent over the desk with the professor beneath him, kissing him (Or incubating , as it is), and took a shot at him with a gun, hitting instead the professor due to a critical failure in the shoulder.

They also REFUSED to touch the artifact found in the basement, certain that it would curse them all :-D

Yes. We’re in Lima. Session 0 was creating 6 characters, giving each character a little vignette as they learn about the expedition or arrive there and then the early events.

The box of props is awesome. We have newspaper articles, telegrams, we are going to print pictures to put on our characters’ passports. There was a map shown to us. It all seems very nicely produced.

Our Keeper has also created notecards for each NPC we meet where we can take notes, write down story leads, … She is talking of bringing in a corkboard for the main adventure.

I don’t know yet. :D

I stopped reading there because we just arrived there and were left on a cliffhanger after spotting something. I’ll be able to tell you in a couple of weeks.

Story seems like good fun from the little we have seen. I hope you get to continue running the prologue and we can compare experiences. :)

ohhh, sorry - I thought you were the keeper here! I’ll go back and spoiler it!

We should be able to continue sometime in a month or two, but we’ll see - would be great!

The props box is extremely cool, but quite expensive, but seems quite worth it!

Gianna is our Keeper. I admire her dedication to running this for the foreseeable future, also her propensity to swear with an awesome Italian accent.

If you are running face to face and are going to go through the whole adventure, the props are probably not very costly per session. But it’s a serious upfront investment. They are as much a toy for our Keeper as for us. :)

I don’t know how many CoC games you have run. I’m running Paper Chase for my daughter (who unfortunately can’t join us in Masks). I am also preparing The Haunting to run for my wife and daughter at home, as it’s pretty much a must play and has got some nice darkness to it.

In both cases, a large part of the fun for me as a Keeper has been to find handouts online: portraits, newspaper articles, police reports, … That game is awesome if you enjoy props.

The Call of Cthulhu starter pack, where Paper Chase also is included, has a lot of nice props with it - maps and so on, and I enjoy those immensely - Well, Edge of Darkness is the one we ran, which was a TON of fun. Besides that, I’ve run Deadlight, which was great, and had the players(Not characters, mind you) so scared, that they ended up just fleeing the place, and not figuring out anything of the major mystery :-D

Agreed on the fun with handouts - its just a tad more difficult when English isn’t your first language, since it should be easily accessible.

As for the props, I agree completely - I just knew that we’d never get through the full adventure, so to me the cost was somewhat rich.
Sounds great with the keeper!

The “Peninsula of Dread.” Player version.

That’s a very clean looking hex map. I might need to do something similar soon, so what program did you use to make it?

Hexographer.

https://www.hexographer.com/

Here’s a much bigger one.

It’s very good for a middle “travel” level map. 6 miles per hex in the above. I found it absolutely vital but that’s because I’m running an open world campaign where travel matters as opposed to “fast travel”. I also use it for Tactical lately; GURPS uses hexes and a yard (meter) per hex rather than our graph paper 1975 inheritance of squares and 5’ per. But having said that I don’t make many of them. I just use a whiteboard program with hexes on it and doodle stuff out if I have to. I like to stay away from super tactical precision, but that’s really just my taste, it’s great for that too.

I use Incarnate for “big picture” maps.

I thought this was fascinating.

Strider Mode for The One Ring was just released. It’s rules for solo play. Free League also released a couple of small supplements adding character creation rules for Mirkwood Elves, Beornings, and Woodmen of Wilderland. I think these were all stretch goals from the Kickstarter.

I haven’t dipped into it, but I’m pretty jazzed about the solo play option.

I somehow stumbled on the Mayfair Games box of City State of the Invincible Overlord in I think grade school before I had any idea what a pen and paper roleplaying game even was, really. I remember it chiefly for this rad illustration of Sean Khannery wrestling a gorn.

Did they give any indication when the solo rules might be made available for non-backers by any chance?

I think that’s a Gorn/Mugatu hybrid actually. Regardless, it’s pretty rad.

Unfortunately no.

I relented and bought a set of the custom The One Ring dice. Jokes on me though. They’re one of the defective sets from the first run! (The symbols are on the 1 and the 12 instead of the 11 and 12, which futzes up the odds.) So, once again Free League’s BS custom dice strategy has screwed me.

You’re a better man than me. A gimmick dice set is an automatic no-buy from me.

Hey, I wrote that!

Good news is that they’ve added a background (favoured by the Grey Wizard) in the character lifepaths supplement which lets you treat any 1 on the Feat die as an 11, thereby making the misprinted dice usable again.

Oh, that’s right! I forgot that they did bring you on for that.

Congrats!

Great work on the solo rules, they look fun. Congrats on an amazing gig like that.

I carefully selected and recruited from among my more unusual friends and have begun an online Troika campaign, and it is a fucking blast. None of them are sure where each others’ real personalities and character personas begin or end. And the game (if you’re not familiar) is bizarre from its roots. We’re two sessions in, one character thinks the others are demons, and another has transformed herself into a hat.