Tablets recommendations, 2020

I have no idea, I am not an artist, but there are plenty of artists who use iPads and Surfaces for their work.

My iPad Air 2 was fine until this latest version, 5 years later, and even then, it is still useable, but it can be painful at times. Of course I haven’t turned off newer features either.

Still refusing to update my Air 2, not interested in losing my 32-bit apps. Doesn’t seem like I’m missing out.

I don’t doubt it, but my non-pro self was not impressed with the pressure sensitivity or fine control either stylus had in use. Would be interested to know what an actual pro thought of these versus, say, a Wacom tablet designed for digital art.

Kyle Lambert did all of the Stranger Things posters — except for some final Photoshop work — on the iPad Pro, including the first generation.

So I am guessing it’s just fine.

Thanks for your opinions, guys!

I am thinking of buying a tablet. The primary goal of this tablet is portable entertainment.
The primary use will be to watch movies or videos. I am thinking of an android tablet simply because that is what I am used to. I may want to either stream via wi-fi or download movies from netflix.

Then there are possible secondary uses such as gaming. So far, I really have not found any “mobile” games that appeal to me more then a time waster while I waiting for something.

I was wondering if it was a Microsoft windows tablet instead of android, would I be able to install steam and play steam games or is that not going to work? Like could I play Pathfinder Wrath of the righteous on a tablet? Stellaris, etc.???

I am guessing the answer is no, but I am not sure about that.

Finally it would be nice to have wireless charging.

Any suggestions?

You could get away with 2D gaming on a Surface but any kind of 3D is going to run poorly (it only has integrated graphics) and eat through the battery. If you get the very latest Surface you could probably get away with 30fps at 1080p or maybe 1440p on last gen games. And Android gaming is mostly terrible. If gaming is a serious use case you probably want an iPad, though obviously you wouldn’t have your Steam library, except via streaming. They do make great board gaming machines, among other things.

TLDR, just get a super cheap Android tablet if you only want to watch/read stuff. If you really need to do Windows stuff, get a Surface, but keep your performance expectations in check. Otherwise get an iPad.

I have an older Surface Pro 3 and an iPad Pro M1 model. I use the iPad all the time, for work, some light gaming, conferencing, stuff like that. I hardly ever use the Surface any more, though it is a great little Windows machine for non-gaming work stuff. I do have a few games on it but comparatively few seem to support the touch interface, while on the iPad games do really well. Titan Quest for instance plays very well on the iPad, and there are a fair number of good games (like, games we know from other platforms) on iOS, though the downside is the best ones cost actual money.

I would get the cheapest iPad available. Tons of mobile games will work, and you can stream game pass if you want. Really no need to go for the Air, much less the Pro.

If you do plan to play a lot of local non-streaming games, go for the upgraded 256GB storage.

Eh, if you were in the Apple ecosystem you’d already have an iPad or several.

Do what I did and get the Tab S6 Lite, 2022 edition (just released). Get it on sale, which it often is. I bought the 128GB version. It comes with the pen which is around $100 for Apple, and it is useful to use for browsing and casual games. I also got the book cover half-off, which is also well thought-out.

The Tab S8 is nicer for a lot more money, and the A8 is notably worse for a bit less money. If you’re sensitive to the S6 Lite’s ‘only’ 60Hz display, feel free to spend more.

I’m happy with it. It works well full screen and I use it split screen to watch low-focus TV while browsing. It’s ‘just the right size’ in my opinion, and the 16:9 aspect ratio is simply better for full screen than the 4:3 aspect ratio iPad with big black bars. Great for games and my PC hasn’t been used since I bought it and discovered card games - Arcanium and Legends of Runeterra.

Check the reviews, I like the Fishbee channel on youtube. Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite 2022 EDITION - Unboxing & Review - YouTube

Every time I read about tablets the same thing is always mentioned. Android tablets are not supported any where near as much as iPads are. There is a lot more apps the natively support the iPad. I haven’t used an Android tablet in a decade though, so I have no personal experience.

See below:

Why we like it: Great hardware, an easy-to-use operating system, and a huge library of quality apps make Apple’s iPads the best tablets for most people, even if you normally use Android on your phone or Windows on your computer. iOS also receives frequent updates—including prompt security updates—which isn’t something you can say of any modern Android tablet.

Android tablets are problematic because (1) the iPad equivalent android tablets seem over priced if you are paying retail and (2) for some reason android tablets rarely believe in storage above 256GB unless you find a microsd version (and deal with that limitation). The Samsung Tab S8, etc. are very good general purpose tablets if you are just using them to read or general stuff (taking notes with the pen, watching streaming, etc.). But they are overpriced compared to the speed, ecosystem, apps, etc. that are available on an iPad.

With that being said, I own a Tab S7 and it works fine. If I was 100% in android/Samsung’s ecosystem, I’d be perfectly happy with a Tab S8 or S8+ (but I would never pay retail for any of them).

I love my iPad Pro, but my wife uses a Samsung Tab S7 and uses it extensively, as a laptop replacement. Only light gaming to be sure but it is definitely a solid work tablet.

Like I said, if you want a consumption and gaming tablet, get the cheapest iPad. The Air and Pro don’t offer all that much beyond the base model, but the Air is a great choice too.

@LeeAbe there you go, S6 Lite is in the wirecutter recommended list too, they like it.

@stusser no, don’t just get the cheapest iPad, it’s a bad recommendation if you have no other Apple stuff.

Consumption apps work the same. Games work the same. If you have an Android phone, the hassle of an iPad isn’t worth it. The aspect ratio and Apple bits are annoying.

I actually have both - we’re a mixed family :) ha. I gave the (new) iPad to my 6 year old daughter - by the way it has stability problems requiring reboots now and then. I just use and prefer my new Tab S6 lite - android app integration, Google services, the pen which is magnetic and case are nice. Overall it’s better objectively (for me). But I’m a Pixel phone user, if I used an iPhone I’d probably prefer an iPad.

You’re ignoring the part I quoted though. They think it’s the best even if you use Android or Windows.

I do agree it can be an issues if you want to use the same apps on all devices, and if that is important, the person should get an Android tablet. If it’s just a couch/consumption device though, the iPad is the way to go.

I strongly disagree. Everybody looking for a tablet should get an iPad, even if they never touched a mac or iPhone in their entire life.

The only alternative is if you really want a laptop that can kinda/sorta work as a tablet. In that case get a Surface Pro.

I have an android phone, Windows desktop, and an iPad. I hate iOS, even. but the iPad is the best tablet for a lot of uses.

I like iOS, it’s improved a great deal over the years, but I still strongly prefer Android. Thing is, iOS has better apps. It just does. And that gap is an order of magnitude wider in the tablet form factor.

Sure but the article then goes on to say “if you’re partial to Android, get the S6 Lite”. And has a long paragraph as to why they like it.

That is important.

I disagree. Only speaking from personal experience though, having owned 3 iPads including the latest, and finally switching to an Android tablet which works perfectly fine, and is quite a bit better for consumption due to its aspect ratio.

Please be specific which apps don’t work that you use regularly, and which also don’t have an Android equivalent, and people can decide how important those are.

I think OP asked about consumption apps and light gaming. To me a 10.4 inch Netflix movie on a 10.4 inch tablet with no black bars is better than a 7.5 inch image on a 10.5 inch iPad with black bars. YMMV.

Also the iPad has two speakers on the bottom of the device, or one side in landscape mode. The Tab has out-firing speakers on the left and right sides of the tablet. Much better sounding for casual use, youtube, etc.