Tactical Breach Wizards - Into the Breach but with Spells?

It’s so good! I’ve missed Tom’s writing so much. And the gameplay reminds me a lot of Invisible Inc.

The trailer was funny!

This was always gonna be an instabuy for me since I like the tacti-puzzle format. I’ve had it wishlisted forever, the demo was excellent and had just about everything I would’ve wanted from it.

It does seem to be of the type that leans into ‘specific setups that require specific solutions’, so I suspect in that regard it might end up being a bit less replayable than Into The Breach. That said, I’m totally down with cool (and funny!) campaigns plus it does look like it’ll ship with a level editor. So that could be a lot of fun.

I didn’t love that the levels I saw were all very constrained, ala FITS. From the trailer, though, it looks like it opens up a little.

This is really stylish. The prologue mission was extremely engaging. The biggest achievement is making wizards seem cool.

What’s up with the series of small rooms? I ask because Metal Slug Tactics seems to be doing the same thing. Is this how tactics games solve the large spaces problem now? Was there a particular game that introduced this approach? Just curious.

As mentioned in the previous post, I think of Fights in Tight Spaces as peak tiny room design. I imagine it’s been done before, but even though this game has been in development for some time, it feels heavily influenced by it.

The tiny rooms are what makes the game a tactical puzzle rather than a real X-Com-like tactics game. Not my genre but very much by design.

There’s a fascinating discussion to be had here (in its own thread). FITS is not a puzzle game. ITB is absolutely not a puzzle game, despite feeling like one (which is something I love about it). I don’t think the constrained decision space makes this a puzzle either, though I haven’t seen as much of it.

I think the biggest reference right now in the market for that type of ‘small tactical game’ is Into the Breach.

If you’re aiming for completing all the optional objectives in this (purely a prestige thing to unlock wizard costumes), I very much got the impression there is probably only one or maybe two (dependant on perks) solutions to any given level. Unlike ITB, the ‘board’ in Wizards is prearranged, and so I think this is very much a puzzle game.

(Though personally I think ITB is very much a puzzle game anyway, albeit less puzzle-y than this).

Although there are people that like puzzle games, I think inflicting a strategy game with the dreaded “puzzle game” label tends to be a huge turnoff for a lot of people. I hope there’s still plenty of market for a game like this. I’m certainly intrigued.

The developer always wants you shoot things that get pushed through windows. If the room isn’t claustrophobic it’s a bit of a bitch to build an AI that will present that kind of opportunity organically.

Just set it in Russia.

Yeah there is and while I’ve always thought that a puzzle is a designed or intentional problem, often with a specific solution (but not always–see Zach-likes), I consider the really tight situations that organically arise in any tactics or strategy games to be puzzle-like. Sometimes they can be real brain-burners. Into The Breach does this wonderful thing of putting you in seemingly impossible situations where you think you’re done for but if you look long and hard enough you’ll often see a way out. Maybe the AI is tuned to create these edge solutions, maybe not, but it’s like magic to me because it doesn’t seem pre-determined; the problems feel organic and unique to your playthrough so as a result you own the solutions more. Dungeon Deathball felt similar, which I also love.

Ah, gotcha! No argument if that’s the case.

As far as I know it’s random, and the design of giving the player perfect information developed from that. But I absolutely agree.

That hbomberguy stream Tom trailed earlier: