Tactics Ogre Reborn - November 11 (PS4/PS5/Swtich/Steam)

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing, the trailer looked just as good as I had hoped, if not more! So exciting!

Now my question is do I go Switch or PC/Steam Deck? It sounds like I might get a chance at buying a Steam Deck well before this drops now. I suspect either will be about the same experience.

How does this compare to Final Fantasy Tactics?

Similar, but I think the story here is better, specially because of the very different routes.

Tactically it’s similar (job system…) but this has limited rewind.

It also already played snappier on PSP and it seems they’ve made it even more so here.

Same director, and similar timeframes on the original games (FFT was he redoing TO for Square, but then TO was remade and feels more accesible and modern because of that. The changes in FFT War of the Lions were smaller)

I remember following your epic, multi-part game diary a decade ago - hell of a swan song for the PSP! I’m so excited to revisit this classic.

Class system is much more rigid in this game but due to that it’s much more balanced than FFT. there isn’t any Calculators or Orlandu. The Shaman sisters are close though.
The battlefields are bigger but not as varied. This also leads to more characters on the field and slightly longer battle times but I think the devs are going to remedy some of that.

The story is much more grounded and (imo) is better. This is especially true if you played others in the series and understand the lore of the world more.

Hey, very cool! Thanks for reading!

Yeah, the number of characters and size of the battles is the biggest difference. You only field 4 characters in FFT. Tactics Ogre lets you send out 12. Often the enemies are really far away as well and it can be challenging just to reach them.

Famitus has an interview up.

https://s.famitsu.com/news/202208/17272199.html

A kind soul on Era bullet pointed it for easy digestion:

I put it through Google Translate though in case anyone wants to see how good of a job that did.

Looks good! I like the “spells axed”; I thought there was definitely an overwhelming amount. Yay to non-anime VA.

And as I typed this I realized no point in getting excited since I don’t own a PS4/5! But really hoping it comes to Xbox at some point. A Switch port would also be sweet.

Despite the thread title, it’s also on Switch and Steam.

Oh, nice! I’m excited again!

I’ll fix that - when I created the thread we only knew for sure it was coming to Playstation via psdeals.net. Of course we’ve since finally gotten a confirmation it will be on PC and Switch as well.

So what was the deal with the previous versions? I heard there were some questionable differences between ports or something? I own the PS1 version on my Vita (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together?) after glowing praise from @Juan_Raigada (I think! It was years ago) but never got round to playing it.

The original was a Super Famicom release, followed shortly by a Sega Saturn re-release; neither of those made it to the US. The PS1 version was released a couple of years later in the US, but it was released after Final Fantasy Tactics, while FFT was a more modern/updated game in the same genre. I had the PS1 version and both played and liked it, but I had FFT as the better game at the time, and I think that was the popular opinion. All three of these releases were pretty tight in time, with the US release of the PS1 version in 1998.

The PSP release, the one that you have, was a full remaster of the original game, released in 2010. The remaster was put together after the success of the FFT PSP re-release, and rather than a port with minor updates (as FFT was), it was more of a full remaster, adding a bunch of things from features to characters. TO: Let Us Cling Together is one of my top five favorite games ever, any platform: the updates in the re-release made it really stand out above the FFT re-release, and it was about as perfect a hand-held TRPG as we’ve seen.

Thanks for the breakdown!

We have some previews making the rounds today. The two I’ve seen are targeting very different audiences so I will share both. First up, a very short (about 6 minutes long) look aimed maybe at folks that, like the YouTuber playing, might be new to the game and are curious about it, or want some top level looking at a few of the changes to the game without getting into details.

But if you are a series veteran, enough to for instance have some concerns about the new changes (such as having only 4 slots to equip skills), this guy has your back - a clear expert in the series and the game, this is a nearly 90 minute look at the new mechanics. And whatever concerns I have melted away in the first few minutes of this guy’s incredibly infectious excitement and pleasure at the changes we have here.

I’m only 10 minutes into this second video but I see what he’s talking about and I’m also really happy with how this is looking so far, and I have over an hour left to go. What a Friday! :)

Thanks for posting these up, looking forward to checking this one out.

As it happens, I spent my morning drive listening to these same two videos. Never played Tactics Ogre before, but it looks very interesting.

I very much like the first guy, Mortismal Gaming. He always strikes me as very organized and careful to get his information straight.

This was a really good video as well, for anyone looking for some direct compares to the PSP version.

Finally a remake that is significantly better than the original. All of those changes are a big plus for me. I didn’t expect full voice acting either, but that will be a nice change and we’ll see if it impacts how I like certain characters.