Tactics Ogre Reborn - November 11 (PS4/PS5/Swtich/Steam)

Let me try to answer this.

The short answer: it’s the same that differentiates a JRPG and a western RPG. Well not the same, but it’s the same sort of differentiation. And it’s not purely on how story is structured, but the mechanical core feels very different.

The long attempt at an answer: The core is the same, tactical turn battles. But in general non-TRPG tactical games rely on less, but more nuanced systems, while TRPG go heavy on the layering of several, not-so-complex systems on top of each other. They also tend to offer a lot of specific and discrete ways to break such systems.

So, something like Battle brothers has like a myriad of stats that they layer into a combat system everybody uses. Some skills do add rules or change the system, but many (most?) add specific damage in specific situations, buffs, etc. There’s not a lot of class-based differentiation and the starting stats serve to differentiate progression and utility between characters.

A typical TRPG has less stats, but what feels like a million classes, each doing something relatively unique (special spells, attacks, even full on mechanics and systems relative to any single class). Same with skills, many of them do add new mechanics (recruit enemies! Counterattack -it’s a skill and not a system-wide combat variable- etc). To the extent many TRPGs meta games are about using the many systems to break the game. Those aware enough offer challenges that require breaking the game (or insane grinding) to defeat.

In a way. Battle Brothers would be more of a TRPG if it allowed you to recruit and play as many of the monsters with special mechanics.

So TRPG are about many discrete systems and skills that do unique things and interrelate, while western tactical games are more about a more solid and deeper core system that allows differentiation within it but less variation and less out of the box stuff.

The above doesn’t always hold true, but I think it’s the core of the flavor differences. Of course specific games can walk along a grey area between the styles.

This approach has the advantage of making something like Triangle Strategy a straight up TRPG even with the customization simplification. In that game every single character is unique. Mechanically unique. In that they can do stuff no other character can. And there are 30 of these unique characters.

On top of that, as others have mentioned, TRPG tend to be more linear/less procedural/sandboxy, but there’s a good tradition of sandboxy TRPG, so I don’t see that as strong of a distinction.

This is good insight, thank you for that! That makes me realize Disgaea hasn’t come up in this conversation despite being the series that basically takes all of those things to their extreme. It’s never clicked with me since it’s all about grinding and finding ways to break the game while being a goofy setting in a way that doesn’t appeal to me.

My understanding it that the first time you kill a class type you earn three marks for it. I heard that somewhere on one of the tips videos so not sure how accurate that is.

Question: When I do a training battle and put it on full auto it stops progressing whenever a battle cry triggers. Is there a switch to shut that off so I don’t have to babysit it on Auto Battle?

This is me 100%. I would love to enjoy that franchise, it would be another fun tool in the toolbox for when I want to scratch that tactical-JRPG itch, but I find the “humor” in it isn’t my thing (nor is the parody of numbers).

Look in the options menu, there is an “auto-advance dialog” option.

Thanks to everyone who helped explain the differences. This is now on my wishlist but probably wait for a 50% sale just to be safe.

I really like FFT on both rhe PlayStation and PSP and all 3 tactics ogres, but they share One trait that I don’t like that is not found in most western RPG’s: missable characters and dungeons that some people fine by being super attentive to minor hints and I only fine by looking in guides. I enjoy reading guides that explain game mechanics and strategies but I would rather not need to read guides to find secret heroes.

One inner working that is opaque, and I’d like to know more about: luck

So I can gain considerable offensive spell power by using baldur equipment, with its +4 intelligence boost per item. But each of these also gives a -1 malus to luck. But the game gives no perspective on this. A point on what scale? Is this a +5 to -5 scale, in which case three baldur items invites really bad times with status effects both on offense and defense? Or is this a 100 point scale where this is small potatoes?

Whenever I pick up a Luck green (permanent) card on the battlefield, unlike the other cards that give 1 or 2 points, I get a range of sometimes +8 to even +16 or more. So I think it’s a 100 point scale that likely influences basically everything, randomly based on the score. I don’t worry about Luck as a stat, and you shouldn’t neither. -1 Luck seems more like flavor to me.

Good to know! Thanks!

I read about the concept of a no-incapacitations run, and since I’m an idiot I decided to restart and try that. The plus side is that it will make me play more thoughtfully, but the downside is it makes it less likely I will make it to the final boss.

Of course unlike a hard coded difficulty setting, this can be modified on the fly. So I think I will reframe this as an attempt to see how far I can get w.o. incapacitations, I’m not going to do massive tarot rewinds either but I will allow myself to undo misclicked attacks

This sounds like a great way to stop having fun with a good game, lol. Good luck! I think in my Warren Report I have like 45 incapacitations or some such, my entire strategy seems to revolve around removing as many enemy players as I can even as I lose some of mine, since I can bring mine back up and they can’t. It’s really a lot like how Wolverine fights knowing he’ll heal from any attack, so trying “no incapacitation” would be like the storyline where he lost his regeneration powers and had to learn to fight more carefully.

I can’t even imagine! I feel like if I tried this I’d just never have anyone be a remotely squishy class. I’ve had too many instances where the enemy will make a suicide run past my line to focus fire on one of my magic users in the rear. Seems like they always manage to get a couple of crits when they do that and just drop the unit without me being able to do anything about it.

It helps that so far I’ve only done maps I just did last week. I’ve made it through chapter 1 successfully let’s see how chapter 2 goes. My first run through stopped somewhere late in chapter 3, if I make it that far I’ll be happy

A few of us mentioned how we weren’t that impressed with archers a few pages back. I’d like to admit I was wrong, at least in so far as a special character goes. And since I was likely comparing archers to other special characters that seems only fair.

By equipping her with as much dexterity gear as I could get and focusing on letting her pick up any permanent dexterity buff cards that dropped she’s suddenly one of the hardest hitting members of my team.

Do remove the 2-handed bows and switch to a 1-hand bow plus a dagger. The archer doesn’t need all that many skills anyway. Bows can hit slightly past the max range indicated depending on terrain so that extra distance doesn’t matter that much and the dagger hits hard, even on tanky targets.

Before I didn’t want to bring any archers along, now I don’t go into a battle without one.

Interesting! What sort of armor do you have her in? Can she take a couple of melee hits?

Her defense is about the same as all my other characters other than the proper tanks like Terror Knights and Knights. She has 930 hp compared to about 1050 for my other light armor characters, but it’s still enough to take a couple hits. This is at level 28.

Wearing (all +1) Brigandine Armor, Nomad Gloves, and Ring of Deftness. The rest are actually older pieces that I just checked and should be replaced with Baldur gear which will give improvements in almost every area.

I do use a Baldur dagger which does slashing damage. I assume if I had a piercing dagger it wouldn’t do as well against tanky targets but I haven’t checked that.

interesting, thanks. I’ve been sticking with two handed bows And keeping my archers maximum actual (versus displayed ) range away from enemies, they are currently in leather armor not chain. So far none of them have gone down but we’ll see, my no incapacitation run is just In the middle of chapter 2.

I’ve finally reached a point where the level cap is annoying me. Since the last sequence in chapter two and now beginning the second sequence of battles in chapter three, the cap has been 19. That’s five or six battles (maybe more to come!) of most of my crew not gaining any levels. I’ve gone from not minding it to thinking that it’s poorly implemented.

I think having a system where you do not gain many levels/exp is a valid design choice, but it’s not one this game made—at least not to this point—so it’s a bit frustrating now. I’m not much of a grinder either so I’m very sympathetic to those of you who love to grind and break the systems. If I’ve run into this problem, it’s probably horrid for you all.

I would like to go back to the Wildwood, but I don’t have any incentive to do so and am afraid of wasting level gains I could have there when the cap inevitably increases. It’s a weird design decision all around.