Tactics Ogre Reborn - November 11 (PS4/PS5/Swtich/Steam)

I wasn’t kidding about looking for a list in like an excel format of all the stuff, if I’m stuck with the banner thing at the top so be it. I googled around for hits on this for a bit with zero luck, lots of lists of how to for example recruit everyone but no simple list of all spells/skills.

As for the awaken, ok you got me. I was joking because I’ve not once used it. Probably not far enough into the game I suppose for an enemy to sleep or charm one of my guys.

It’s kind of a useless thing to waste MP (or worse, a spell slot) on - you can throw a stone with just about any character and hit a sleeping target to wake them up (or remove charm for that matter). Wasting an action either way sucks - it would be cool if Awaken was an auto-skill or something. Ah well.

Sleep, charm, and poison are the only arcane spells I’ve liked. Crowd control is safer than a reactive heal, although there is a failure percentage.

Terror knight is a pretty good support tank. For 25 MP they will fear their target. That makes the target take a lot of damage from anything else that hits them, even archers.

This is for an earlier version of the game, and details are outdated. But I found it occasionally useful:
link

Agreed. Fear is a really powerful debuff. And if a Terror Knight sports a weapon that also causes Breach (like Zweihander +1) and uses the the Fearful Impact skill, you get both debuffs simultaneously on an important enemy. The double debuff is not only double deadly, but also more able to to weather enemy units that show up with Ease to remove debuffs.

For a time, I was leaving my Terror Knight at home, because she seemed noticeably less tanky than Dragons or Knights. But now I am using two in some battles, including a named unit that I switched over for that role.

Thanks man, even a bit out dated it’s still got the core bits to this one.

Not far enough it yet to get one of these, but I want one.

71 hours later, I finally saw credits on my ending. It was… kind of an amazing ending with a twist at the last 1 second that honestly shocked me into laughing out loud. Definitely an ending I’ve never seen before, at least!

The final boss is hot bullshit, but he’s beatable with some tips that I think I have developed and I’m happy to share. Note that this worked for me, there wasn’t any good guides out there that I found, so this isn’t like tried and true, just what worked for me. I’m going to spoiler the rest of this, rather than cherry pick what I do and don’t spoil, so if you are here you are looking for specific advice on the final encounter in the story, after the Hanging Gardens dungeon.

First, a note - I hadn’t seen a Game Over screen until like hour 60 or so when Denem was knocked off a cliff, and I got hit with TPK, haha. However, after the Game Over, you are offered a few choices, if you didn’t know. You can retry the battle from the beginning (helpfully from the squad setup screen so you can assign new skills, items, and etc. for the battle you just lost) or you can reload from “mid-battle” which just means the game gives you back control and let’s you use the Chariot to roll back time if, for instance, you just need to not stand Denem on the edge of a cliff to pull off a victory. Anyway, this is true for the final boss as well - if you were close, don’t rage quit, is my point. Restore from mid-combat and roll back to make a few minor tweaks to your strategy, see if that gets you over the finish line.

Okay, onto the detailed tips.

First, there are two phases - the first phase you face off against a powerful foe, but his greatest asset is he summons 12 doppelgangers of your squad. That’s… obviously less than ideal, and they will prove far more formiddable than any foe you’ve probably yet faced, geared up and max skill’d as they probably are at this point. He also uses a nasty skill I have seen earlier in the game called Risk Management - he’s immune to damage if he’s near allies within 2 squares (the damage is shunted off to them instead). This seems to proc at the start of the battle every time, but usually not EVERY turn, so like when fighting dragons or Golems you just want to wait and unload your attacks on him when his defensive proc doesn’t trigger. For me that was the second round every time, if it DOES proc on round 2, I’d roll back and make new choices to generate a new RNG to get it to NOT trigger on his turn starting.

Meanwhile, don’t take any actions on your first turn. You can’t really hurt him while Risk Management is up anyway, and all you’ll be doing is spreading damage around his units and then it’s their turn and they’ll surround and murder a few of your troops. Instead, move up a little for melee units and stand still for ranged/spellcaster units. DO NOTHING more than move. Hopefully Mediates will proc for you, if they don’t feel free to use an herb (nothing more you can do), but by not taking any actions this first round, you ensure advantage on the initative bar the next round when hopefully Risk Manage didn’t proc. Then, you can alpha strike him and if you can kill him in round two before your allies have at all dropped, you’re going to be in MUCH better position for the final battle.

If you can’t kill him in round 2, he’s going to probably drop Damnation which is a field condition that prevents all resurection. There is a skill Clerics have that removes this - it’s IMPERATIVE this either not proc OR you have a cleric on hand to remove it. I found having a healer helped keep my troops fresh when his turn came up using a huge Major Heal II spell that granted like 390 health to my front liners.

All you have to do in this first phase is bring the enemy to critical health. If you’re guys were able to surround him, using pincher attacks in particular, and wail on him and bring him down, the battle ends and it’s onto phase 2, or what I call “bullshit”.

Phase 2 will start with all your units in a huge ring, if they were down in phase 1 they are still down here, which is why it’s important to keep everyone alive for this part. This guy, the big bad, is going to teleport around the map, hitting like a fucking truck, and summoning spells that hit most of the battlefield for big damage, and he’s going to like to go every 2 or 3 turns your characters take, when you are down to only a few remaining troops. Having your entire roster helps this a lot, let alone the fact more hands mean more full-health heals and ressurection stones bringing characters back up.

Stock up on items that fully heal and ressurect, but everyone should have one item that either weakens, spoilspells, or breaches so you can try to get all three on this turd. Spoilspell is really nice because it keeps his summon spells from dropping everyone in a single cast, for sure. In fact, many times I survived two castings in a row and I thanks Spoilspell for that. Otherwise, getting to him can be a pain as it’s a big open field and walking towards him when he teleports around can be tough, so I was moving my units all towards him and keeping them somewhat together - this just kept him near us as he wants to attack. Stunning him is possible, though I only saw him stumble like… once. Weaken and Spoilspell are your friends.

Also, Dark Mage hurts him the most from what I could see. My Water Oracle would do like 70 damage with a spell while my Dark Warlock would hit for 225-240 with Word of Pain III. Whenever he dropped, I’d bring him right back up and if Meditate dropped when his turn came immediately around, he’d cast it again and if he dropped, I’d repeat that process.

Otherwise once we got close enough to surround him we’d just hammer away on him, sometimes doing only 25-75 damage but then getting a few 50 point pincer attacks in, and somtimes melee attacks would do like 150-200 damage. Honestly I have no idea, maybe his defensive stats change based on which summon he just used? Also super bullshit, many of his summons deal a ton of damaga AND MP damage, so my guys with 100 mp would have like 3 left when their turn started. Keep your casters away from melee clusters, it’s a tempting target for him to hit them and that leaves your weaker casters alone.

I think that’s about all I got - it was a great fight once I wrapped it up, weirdly I wiped two times in a row and the third time no one was down when the fight ended except the cleric, but he was fine after the battle.

Good luck!

The final bossfight wasn’t too bad on the PSP, but with level caps and the possibility of the big bad picking up +phys and +crit cards… I feel true fear…

Also, I love terror knights, and other terror lovers may want to try making a terror knight out of a wizard character. Although they’ll have a lot less hp than a warrior-bred terror knight, their high armor tends to nullify that and you’ll be hitting with sleep and paralysis just as well as a spellcaster! Lots of fun.

Swordmaster Denam has been a great change. Going from one of the simplest classes in the game to one of the crunchier ones has really livened up combat.

I’ve run into a mystery. Scouting a map, it seemed like a good time to try a lobber. So I set up my Beast Tamer with the items I wanted lobbed during battle, and made sure I had his Lobber II skill as one of his four for the battle.

And bad surprise. If there is a way to lob any of his consumables, I am not seeing it. I click on Mending Salve or Grimoire Exorciseme, and I see the same one tile limit that any other unit would have. Lobber II isn’t an auto skill, so I shouldn’t have to wait for an activation, should I? I feel like I am probably overlooking something in the interface, but I am not finding anything further to try. (Should have brought the cleric, like the game suggested.)

Yeah it’s just a UI thing, I was confuzzled too. When you go to your item menu with the character that has lobber, you’ll see two rows of the same items. Clicking on the items in one row will use normally, clicking on them in the other row will lob them.

Thanks! I saw the lobber icon, but when I clicked on it, nothing happened. Didn’t occur to me that that was labeling the row. Now it works fine.

Had a bit of a disappointment here in chapter 3. Up until now, any time I faced a new class of enemy unit, killed it, and got the bag, I ended up with 3 classmarks for that class. I actually delayed killing this boss in order to kill and bag the remains of a hoplite and juggernaut – and I thought that I saw something about marks flash past. But I am not seeing them now that the battle is over. Both looked like interesting units to try out.

Ha, like he doesn’t start the battle with 4 already actrive!

You probably killed and got both those classmarks in Chapter 2 - iirc they are Lizardfolk classes is probably why you didn’t think you had them before.

If memory serves, I saw them in a fairly tough battle but did not kill them. Rather I killed the boss to end the battle.

But even if I remember wrong, then I should see them in my list of classmarks, I would think.

I’ve been using petrify instead of sleep

You’re right, these are lizard classes. I have one of each and I’m not too sure what I think yet. I also got a Matriarch which seems like a decent caster so far. Several ways to mitigate damage which seems pretty nice for a squishy class.

Just tried out my new iron golem in a battle. That thing is a beast of a tank.

I’m starting to get a bit of battle fatigue. My party level is 19 and I’ve visited 7 locations on the map in chapter 3. I’ve no real complaints about the game other than those I’ve already mentioned. Some of the battles started to feel a bit repetitive. I’m not playing at a crazy pace and this is actually a good game to be playing now since my main PC went down - so I can’t play anything too demanding on the PC. It isn’t unusual for me to hit this roadblock in a long game that is combat heavy - it’s difficult to keep it fresh.

I’m happy I picked this up and it’s worth the purchase already, so no regrets. I’m also not quite ready to stop so I will fire up a battle before bed :-)

Edit: I wonder if I should change Donalto into a ninja since it’s rare I run with 2 clerics. Leofwen is my primary cleric.

Ah… so maybe I have the classmarks but they simply do not show up when looking at options for my human characters? (I had assumed I could always see all the marks, but the ineligible ones for that race would be grayed out.)

So I need the ability to recruit a lizard in battle. I don’t think I’ve seen that skill yet, or maybe I overlooked it.

I know what you mean about combat heavy games. But for me, at least, this one seems especially good about interesting new twists on a regular basis. And the necessary adaptations seem varied, the solution is rarely just “Oh, gotta level up to deal with that.”

I think wizards have the recruit lizard ability (coax). Going off memory though, I stalled and haven’t played in a week or so.