Tainted Grail: Conquest, Wyrdness galore

Well played, top 3 is awesome! Ooh also, yeah, if you had that ‘Final Blow’ card that gains a permanent +10% damage whenever you kill something with it that would have been a god-killing card so deep into a run . . . and that sounds like a plan!

Also, this makes sense to me now. Pathfinder has blocks, so armour and barrier are not important. By contrast I think my current run with an Apostate will end far earlier because the Apostate is armour dependent for survival, and the curses will grind me down. I hope to make it past 50 fights but that is dependent on me not coming up against one of those monsters that ignores all forms of defence, as that will kill me outright. As of fight 47 I am down to 50 max health and I reckon I will keep on deducting from that since I rely on not taking damage anyhoo.

How do you feel about the Grub enemies that divide once you reduce them to a certain level of health? I am beginning to find these a real chore at fight 40+ . . . as they divide and divide and divide and divide before finally dying. If another level of division ever appears that might just drive me into a murderous rage . . . :-P

Yup those grubs enemies are a really time sink. I usually keep the other enemies and focus on them. Since there is an enemy limit it reduces the number of spawns. I actually had to stop playing for a bit because the numbers of clicks (over a couple hundred per battle) was hurting my fingers and wrist lol.

Yeah armor and barrier (and by relationship Summoners and Golems) will probably have a hard time since the damage the enemies will ramp up considerably. I was getting ~100K paper damage each round with -500 armor. The problem is that you have to negate all that damage and do enough damage to kill the exploding guys. Stun does not work, enemies gain immunity later on the run.

I think for the archers classes to do well you have to focus on DPS and kill everything before they can act.

I never managed to get very far with a Pathfinder. I always found myself out of blocks early on and died.

Yeah once you’re pass Act 1 you’re golden but getting pass it is pretty difficulty if you’re not ready.

I would get rid of all attacks card ASAP. Only keep that one that scales with blocks. Do not grab any cards that isn’t block or cards reduces the card cost.

Tainted Grail peoples, please send me empathy! I need empathy!

First up, after 8 complete runs and a small number of abandoned or failed runs, I have only just recruited the last NPC to my village, and guess who? The Master Trainer! The one that lets you trim your deck, increase your draw, and take a card of your choice?! So . . . .in my humble, the highest utility village NPC of all! And now dammit, sure now I have him, but I want my backlog of card shreds dammit! It feels like I have been playing hard mode all along! I did not know this was the NPC I was missing . . . thank goodness, or I may have become ornery and resentful :-P

Second up, I almost just finished a Pathfinder run which would have included my best ever final boss damage total. I had lovingly nurtured a Final Blow card (+10% permanent from every enemy killed) up to 1000%+ Nothing world beating, but I was over 100k on the final boss, with it being -500 armor, with several turns remaining and would probably have made it into the global top 500 and . . . . .

. . . and in a momentary lull in attention, I let a single attack go through my blocks, and bang, game over! Dammit!!

Send me empathy, or cookies. Cookies might also work. Triple Chocolate. Triple Chocolate Chip.

I feel for you, but I don’t want you to beat my Pathfinder score :P

It’ll make me pull the game out again!

hehe, dang it, challenge me why don’t you?

All I want / need for an awesome Pathfinder run is . . .

. . . getting the Final Blow card early, so I can nurture it to well over 1000%+ per hit
. . . getting the card that reduces armor by -100 / full heal next turn, which is awesome for the final boss
. . . getting and keeping the special ‘Demon Strength’ cards that give +500% damage for one turn
. . . accumulating other damage boosting items and putting them into inventory for the final boss fight
. . . getting the Stance card that adds +25% damage per turn (it helps)
. . . finding some deck removal to get rid of basic attacks (keeping Onslaught to last)
. . . lucking out with getting some passives / runes that provide extra energy and or block

. . . but then most of all, not getting sloppy during that final fight, and putting all the above stuff into practice!

I summon thee!

. . there is always room for improvement . . . . this was a bit crazy. In absolutely no way did I even keep track of one quarter of the number of special doodads (passives) firing off per turn. I reckon to get onto page 1 of the leaderboard you would need to sit down with a serious spreadsheet and CRUNCH those numbers.

This is good enough for me :-P

Nice going!

Amazing job! I’m extremely busy at work currently and have to time to play (except Monster Train).
I’ll knock you off your perch soon enough :P.

How much does difficulty level play in the score calculation - is the scaling such that a win on difficulty 10 would always be more than a win on difficulty 9?

Great question, I have the same one. If it does not scale, one would be better off . . . if aiming for a big score, to play on the lowest difficulty. I got my top score on difficulty 9 and at that level I struggle mightily within the first stage just to survive. Playing as Pathfinder, I lucked out on that high scoring run by picking up two really helpful early passives. One blocked ALL hits in the first turn of combat, and another added 5 blocks in the second turn.

I will away myself to the game forums and see if there is intel about the scoring / difficulty . . . .

I know most everyone has moved on from this but I see there are a few diehards here. I just picked it back up and have been playing a bit. I think I must not be terribly good at these types of games because while I do reasonably well, I have never been in any danger of a complete run in the hours I’ve played. I have unlocked maybe 5 classes beyond the Wyrdhunter. My favorite so far is the Summoner.

Anyway, I would gladly take any tips or tricks you all could offer (for instance, I did not realize you don’t want a candle going all the time, nor did I realize you could have more than one going for the final boss battle).

What meta progression is most valuable? Starting with armor? More HP? I have mostly conserved my additional resources from not quite knowing what to do.

Which of the early unlock classes would be the most likely to help me get a full run?

Armor is very valuable for almost every class. Have you unlocked card removal yet? Quest cards?

Buy increased candle drops from bosses and at least the first three levels of runestone drops (to + 75%).

The two primary reasons not to burn candles are to get more wyrdstone and because some encounters won’t trigger if you have a lit candle.

Are you using golem as your initial summon with summoner? If not, try that. Understand that your armor directly affects the armor of your golem. You want to pick up perks and runestones that increase your armor. Don’t let negative wyrd cards reduce your armor until you understand how that will affect you.

I find Pathfinder and Apostate both incredibly effective and reliably able to complete a full run. Some of the summoning classes have great longevity too and I favour them less only because they seem to require more waiting / building / clicking to complete combats.

Since almost all the village vendors require their unique currency for meta-progression and your recruitment of villages is randomised you only really need to think about what are the best / earliest buys from each vendor. In my humble, those are -

Master At Arms: Extra card draw per turn followed by extra card removal. Both incredibly valuable, also costly, but worth saving for

Blacksmith: Extra runestone drop %, because it is by finding and combining more runestones that you earn more rune shards, so increasing the drop rate early means more unlocks, sooner

Seamstress: Really depends on what kind of class you prefer to play. For example, if you like to play a class that is armor dependent then armor boost is great. If high hp dependent, hp, etc. Damage is a safe bet especially if you wish to shoot for high scores

Scientist More item drops is a good idea until you get a feel for what items you personally find most useful, then boost them

Candlemaker No idea, hehe, I run dark! No candles in my runs! However, it may be worth spending regular coins each run to buy his ‘Reveal All NPCs / Locations’ on the map’ in order to ensure you can visit them and advance quest lines and whatnot.

Adding that my more or less consistent early routine is, if coins permit -

1. Get a special quest card from the Lost Soul, ideally the one that once evolved draws 2 cards and reduces their cost to 0

2. Buy the runestones that do 5 damage to all enemies at the end of each round, and a runestone that heals you after each combat. The former is excellent in the early stages since so long as you can just survive / block you eventually win.

3. Use the add a card option from the Master at Arms, take it if it is a desired high value card, and otherwise skip it. Painful loss of coins, but if this nets you something like Pathfinder Finishing Blow early on, everything becomes so much easier.

4. Once you have the coins - which will be after the first stage boss - buy additional passives from the Seamstress

Not even against treasure guardians or bosses? Why? You probably have zero need for wyrdstone, so what’s the benefit?

Don’t you all leave - n00bs comin’ in hot in a week via GamePass in a week!

Oh, is that what running without a lit candle does? Just more wrydstone, which indeed I really do not need? Hehe, okay. This illustrates how little reading I do into game mechanics even for games I get really absorbed into.

But the real answer is that the Wyrdness has infected my heart, and the light . . . . the light now burns . . . it burns.

There’s a pill for that.