Take the pledge

Is this hyperbolic? Is this a symptom of TDS (“Trump Derangement Syndrome”)? I really don’t think it is anymore. If Trump retains the House after the mid-terms it’s an affirmation of EVERYTHING he’s done so far. I don’t think that will happen, but I also thought the voter-base in the U.S. was way too smart and savvy to ever elect Trump in the first place.

Maybe? It’s one of those things that we won’t know until it’s too late

I don’t either. It is not my style to start threads, or to pop off too much in this forum. Truth be told, I can be a bit of a cynic and a smart ass and sidelined myself from politics for a few years.

But the circumstances are such that come 8 pm EST Nov 6 I do not want to think “was there anything else I could have done?” And I thought not buying games for a couple months or an new computer for another year and instead sending that money to candidates that need it was a far better use of that money.

So I’m making the appeal here, and where ever I can, without intending to resort to hyperbole and histrionics, to urge people to do what they can with what they have where they are and to make whatever sacrifices they can to do so.

In solidarity.

George

I just upped my donation to Jennifer Wexton in the VA-10. It looks like a great shot at flipping the district and bombing out Kavanaugh Komrade Barbara Comstock.

GOP is pouring money into this district too. So not sure what’s up.

Going to be knocking doors hopefully next weekend.

(Congressman in my home district is Gerry Connolly, who is safe as houses and entrenched as a Democrat moving left with his constituency. Wexton is in the neighboring district.)

In a bit of kismet, my mother-in-law is quite ill and is staying at a rehab hospital in Portland. Since I am a notary I can bring people absentee ballots and drop off their completed ballots at City Hall. So I’ve worked out a deal with the manager of the facility to run absentees while I’m visiting my MiL. The hospital has an assisted living wing and an independent living wing, and the independent living wing is loaded with elderly Democrats. I’m in like Flynn.

#Twobirds

Another Michigander here. I donated to Elissa Slotkin and Gretchen Driskell today. They are challenging two spectacular jackasses who both voted to get rid of Obamacare, therefore their names should not be spoken in polite company.

normally yes, but the actions of Republicans have shown they want to destroy democracy.

they’re starting to apply what has happened in North Carolina up to the federal level.

Every time I see a politician work to get rid of affordable healthcare, it takes my breath away. I gasp in horror as I realize these people would gladly see me die along with everyone else who was born with this disease. They don’t care. We are expendable and worthless in their eyes. It destroys the spirit.

For those wondering if it’s hypberbolic to ask if democracy is at stake? Life is.

Former Michigander (but always a Tiger fan!) here and I went to MSU and East Lansing is part of MI - 08. This is a tough but doable district as indicated below. Cook Political Report has it as a toss up Republican district. And she would be a fine representative. For the cost of a foregone AAA title you could send her campaign $40. Put it in your calendars, have a beer, and send her a check.
MI%208

With Heitkamp declaring her no on Kavanaugh, I pushed some money out to a bunch of underdog / close races for the Senate today: Heitkamp, Jacky Rosen, Beto O’Rouke, and Kristen Sinema. Felt good- here’s hoping many others feel likewise.

I truly believe that if the GOP retains the House this November, the rule of law is completely finished in this country. Trump will fire his investigators and pardon everything involved. He will purge the DOJ and politicize everything. If that Surpreme court case goes the right way he can even pardon all the state cases.

We might not be that many years away from becoming Turkey or Hungary.

Way to go @ravenight.

It does feel good.

Did something happen today?

Stay mad, get to work, get even!

This could go in the SCOTUS thread, but I think it more appropriate here.
Dan Rather, putting the events from today into perspective and where we go from here.
Posted in full to spare anyone clicking on his Facebook link:

So Collins misses her moment to be a hero, and the old bulls win again. Trump, McConnell, Grassley, Hatch, Graham—the whole lot of them-- win. Again. They are laughing, congratulating one another, and at least metaphorically are popping Champagne.

For most women and many men it’s a bitter, devastating loss. Which makes it all the sweeter for the old bulls, and for the forces of power, privilege and money everywhere. A sense that the nation’s climate of justice has taken another turn toward dark clouds rises. The age-old question for the country of whether we prioritize power, privilege and money over justice takes on renewed importance.

So I talk to the wife—the good, gentle wife—who is furious and deeply disappointed. Talk to my daughter—the lion-hearted eldest child—whose first words are, “Can we, will we survive this?” I answer, “Of course we can, and if we have the will and the spirit, we will not only, survive we will thrive. Eventually. But if, and only if, we are “get-up fighters.” Strong as she usually is, she doesn’t seem convinced.

So, I take a walk, to be alone with my thoughts and reminders to stay steady. Among the thoughts that emerge are these:

Cut through the clouds of the present, consider the long river of history, and one can see this as a breakthrough moment for women. To paraphrase the daughter who recently said in another context, "women have never had a better moment to be heard in politics, to make a difference.” That is, if they—and those of us men who support them—seize the moment (if they don’t miss the moment as Senator Collins has.)

What that requires is that women and the men who love them and hate what has happen adopt an attitude of “we can be beaten but never defeated.” Adopt it, cling to it and live it as a credo.

Be relentless. When things are bad, when the going is tough, just keep putting one foot in front of the other and carry forward. Also, maybe take as a goal what an old man once said to me: "keep trying, keep fighting, keep smiling every minute you’re alive; you’re going to be dead a long time.”

And recognize that you are not alone. Far from it. Look to your left and right, before you and behind you, at the millions who will support you on this journey for justice. Fill your lungs with the determined air of action. I find myself humming that old but powerful anthem of the Civil Rights Era. “We’ll walk hand in hand!” “We are not afraid!” “We shall overcome!”

For anyone looking to donate to Democrats, a guide:

Optimal Donations 2018: Senate and Governor’s races

http://election.princeton.edu/2018/08/26/optimal-donations-2018-governors-races-but-not-house-races/

I see this thread is pinned, does that mean QT3 throws off away any pretense of nonpartisanship?

I’m not sure non partisanship was ever claimed - just that people with opposing views should be able to express those views.

Okay, I see that but having it pinned to the top is new

Yeah, I think I noticed it a couple days ago.

Just gave $1,000 to Beto.