Take-Two Founder Ryan Brant dead at 47

RIP

“We were saddened to learn of the passing of Ryan Brant,” a Take-Two spokesperson said. “His vision for interactive entertainment began our company’s long-standing history and we are grateful for his contributions. We extend our condolences to his family and friends.”

Brant is survived by his spouse, Diana Tulinh Brant, three daughters, a son, and both his mother and father.

Brant founded Take-Two in 1993, and served as the company’s CEO until February of 2001. That span included the company’s initial public offering in 1997 as well as its purchase of Grand Theft Auto rights-holder BMG Entertainment and the subsequent founding of Rockstar Games in 1998. He stepped down as CEO in 2001, but stayed on with the company as chairman for several years and then took a non-executive role as VP of production until parting ways with the company in 2006.

Holy shit.

That’s young. I feel bad for his family.

Rather odd that Take Two didn’t make the initial announcement, or his family:

The news was announced by the Quattlebaum Funeral, Cremation, and Event center in West Palm Beach, Florida.

So young!

What was the cause of death?

heart attack

As I suspected. Terrifying. (And terrible, obviously.)

His obit says “cardiac arrest due to aspiration”, so it sounds more like he choked to death.

Damn, that’s awful, I have fond memories working with him in the 90’s.

R.I.P.

Death at 49 is too young. I extend my sincere sympathy to his wife and children.

Rest in peace, Ryan.

That is so sad and so young! Dang :(

According to the obit he was only 47. Even worse.

Updated

It’s remarkable that Take Two was founded by someone so young. It’s a publisher that’s been a staple for me as long as I’ve known about games. Awful news.