Tales of Arise

It can be a little button-mashy when you’re figuring things out, but you can do some pretty sophisticated setups and combos once you master things.

Which I rarely do, because I have the hand-eye coordination of a dead, blind cat :)

Ditto, I button mash and have only a vague idea what’s going on half the time.

Still enjoy this series for it’s usually lighthearted tone and the interactions (skits) between party members (some of which are pretty funny) which make them seem more realistic.

Kind of similar to the interactions in the Dragon Age series where you get to know the characters more, and become attached to them, via their conversations with one another.

I also like the cartoonish and colorful look of the games.

Did you play Xenoblade Chronicles series? Probably my favourite real-time battle system

Agreed. And there’s no game with a combat system kinda like the one in the XC series, but the closest thing for me is Tales, even if it is radically different in many ways.

Tales combat is way more of an Action RPG with direct control over all the attacks. Xenoblade is more like FF12, without the gambits. Arise combat reminds me more of Ni No Kuni 2.

I heard it was like the FF XII combat system, so I avoided Xenoblade Chronicles. I can’t stand FF XII’s system.

Yeah Tales reminds me kind of a slowed-down Ys, except it drags you to a battle screen for fights rather than playing out in-world.

Yeah it is a similar style I guess, maybe a bit more skewed to MMO-style cooldowns per ability rather than action/turn timers, but it’s way more dynamic, evolving, and interesting to play for me.

Getting downvoted on Steam, since apparently controller support is broken…

I played yesterday and my controller worked just fine, for the record.

Ni No Kuni 2’s combat, while similar at first, is way too shallow compared to Tales, in my opinion.

For what it’s worth, I hated the combat in FF12 but adore the combat in XC2, despite agreeing that they are similar.

Yeah me too, had no issues there.

However my screen resolution is locked at 4096x2160, which is kind of annoying. No performance issues yet, but I’d like to be at native 3840x2160, or even try 2560x1440 @ 120Hz.

I’m playing at 2560x1440 and it’s pretty much smooth as silk. The game does have some nasty texture popping in, but it’s not the end of the world. I got past the first boss yesterday and so far I really like it. The cut scenes have been really great and really drag me into the game. I’ve never really been into this particular series, but figured that since the length didn’t seem insane I may actually finish it. We’ll see if that happens. Only other that I played was Beseria and I didn’t finish it due to getting distracted. I have issues.

My only real gripe is the jumping. Dear god it looks silly. It really doesn’t matter much in the end, but why? Just why?

In combat jumping can be really useful. But outside of combat, yeah, it didn’t need to be there and it looks silly sometimes when you try to jump over something you should be able to jump over but an invisible wall stops you. ;)

I just finished the second major boss yesterday (going to the third area next) and I’m really loving the game so far. I just wish I had more artes unlocked on a certain character so I could play that character more as my main! Though I guess that should fix itself soon enough. ;)

Ya I was referring to out of combat. It just looks silly. Even the movement in general out of combat feels a bit off. It’s super not a big deal but something I noticed.

I’m in the second area and it’s been a pretty solid game so far. The combat can be satisfying when you pull off some good combos, though I have a tendency towards panic-mashing in these games. :)

I’m also terrible at choosing Artes. I have no real strategy or build in mind, just pick whatever seems ok in the moment. Increasing AG seemed important though.

Also not a huge fan of the standard ‘elemental’ map biome types, they’re pretty dull. Like fire map, then ok, now we’re in an ice map, I guess we need fire skills? I don’t have anything left to spend…

So far I’ve just been using Iron Mask, I feel I’m missing out on a lot of the game but not controlling the others, but then not sure I want to learn all the different control sets!

I think that’s always been a case with the Tales games. Well, at least the ones I’ve played, anyway; walking animation always looks off out of combat.

The more I played today the less I noticed it. I’m off towards the second boss and really digging it so far. The art style just really clicks with me. And the pacing seems really good so far.

This is me as well, and am currently at the third map - I’ve reconciled myself to using only Iron Mask. I guess on another playthrough it could be fun?