Tariff like it's 1897, Trump's Great Economy, Maybe the Best Ever

Ah, this isn’t as obvious a faux pas then, or really an issue at all. Thanks for clarifying.

I’ve journalists describe breaking “off the record” as a one time deal - sources won’t give you a second chance, so only do it when it will make your career. So this would probably be a slam dunk opportunity to do so.

If Donnie doesn’t want people telling tales out of school, then it’s up to him to either get leaks under control, or just keep his big yap shut. Not that he’s capable of doing either.

(This interview probably happened during Donnie’s trip to Indiana last night, and who knows who was in the room when it happened - well, not Donnie, obviously.)

So Maggie (who would definitely know) says this incident was manufactured so that Donnie can simultaneously shake his fist at the press and browbeat Canada at the same time.

Ah, once again Trumps Razor: The dumbest, most corrupt reason is probably the truth.

Also possible that’s a “It’s actually 4D chess!!!” retcon to cover for a massive fuckup.

Perhaps instead of phrasing as tariffs, news media should phrase it as Trump ordering $200 billion in consumer goods price increases.

I came in here ready to take a swing, but @Canuck already got it done.

Or, you know, maybe the best term is also the most accurate term: taxes. Taxes on $200 Billion worth of goods Americans want to buy.

How much are they affecting us so far though? Are we seeing prices go up yet? All of Apples stuff went up in price this year, but it is Apple, so I am not sure we can blame that on tariffs. That said, they use a lot of aluminum and electronics in general are heavily imported from China.

I work accounts payable for a global company, but we don’t do the type of business where the tariffs would really hit. This week was the first time I have seen an invoice reference tariffs, there was a $15 “tariff steel surcharge” on a $2,000 part. Pretty minor so far.

I am not questioning whether or not tariffs are bad, just curious how much we are seeing an impact yet.

Don’t think most of it has actually gone into effect yet, has it? Just announced?

They take time to filter through the system, so not much so far.

Once everyone’s already bought reserves are depleted you’ll start to see it.

Or if you’re a soybean farmer you’ll see it immediately and then get bailed out.

New tariffs are not supposed to supersede existing, binding contracts with priced goods already partitioned out.

The tariffs are mostly on intermediate industrial goods, not consumer goods. There are some consumer goods within (eg furniture, bicycles) but the major consumer items like phones and computers were deliberately excluded.

I wasn’t t referring to the newest ones, the tariffs have been been in place for months.

I know

Jeez guys, I was wondering if anyone has noticed anything personally. I get it takes times, it only applies to certain goods, and I have seen the news stories, I was curious if anyone has personally seen an effect.

Let me do my taxes early so I can tell you.

Also requesting anecdotes over data is… not a great look for anything really. You were the one downplaying it and people responded with data, which you said you already knew and you wanted anecdotes.

I mean I know farmers. Want to ask them how soybeans are looking and if it’s going to affect them?
Of course they’re also getting a multi-billion dollar bailout, so…