Tariff like it's 1897, Trump's Great Economy, Maybe the Best Ever

I’m not disagreeing, but how does an individual make money off of tariffs? Are you talking by shorting stocks that are going to tank, or is there a way for people to skim the tariff money?

The former. Also people with money can make a lot of money off the recovery from a recession so that too.

It’s funny. We could cut defense spending in half and still outspend Russia. But that doesn’t even matter now, does it? Their focus is on using our social media to destroy us. And they are winning that war.

My first thought was “that’s silly”, but if I really think about it, maybe it’s not. We seem to be pushing away every ally we have, while only thinking short term with our economy. Getting really scared about our economic future. We’re going to feel the effects of this for years.

And that’s not even getting into the huge divide within the country…

An article in Politico earlier today said that 47% of those polled believe Trump is not a racist. Factor in a modest percentage that presumably said he is And are perfectly ok with that and I’m not sure how we can have much hope for the direction we are headed.

I can see people thinking he is not a racist though. I get that, I don’t agree, but I can see the argument. But his administration lies in almost every statement. Not even debatable half truths, but full on easily disproven lies (using the governments own sources even). They contradict themselves from their own statements mere days before even. Yet, almost no one on the right calls then on it. It’s just the media lying. That is mind numbing to me.

For years I worked with nothing but right wingers who hated liberals. I tried to keep up on some of the more educated conservatives like Bill Krystal or George Will to get the thought out conservative viewpoint. At least I could get the non Hannity/Rush side of the argument if noting else. I don’t know where to turn for the other side of the argument anymore. Fox is just gibberish and hatred. All the intellectual conservatives are anti Trump. Is there a conservative who supports Trump that uses facts?

No345

One of the problems is that the right likes to label anyone who disagrees with them as a liberal. Even a liberal elite. While ignoring any grey area. Moderates are liberals. Democrats are liberals. The only people who aren’t liberals simply agree with them. OTOH on the left side there are very many different issues and beliefs.

Maybe that is the fucking problem.

The problem is Fox and right wing radio. I joined the military in the 90s as Rush was getting big. I witnessed first hand the dislike of the left gradually going to the full hatred and mocking of anything not conservative you see today. In the last decade I would try to debate them and they would print out Infowars articles to prove their points. Not NRO, The Weekly Standard, or WSJ, but Breitbart and Infowars. These guys literally watch or listen to conservative media all day. Fox on at work. Rush when they get on their cars. Nonstop liberal bashing with little actual news. It’s shaped how a large portion of our country thinks.

To be fair, my mother watches MSNBC all day as well. I think she’s as bad as my old coworkers. No middle ground. No consideration of facts. My coworkers used to say I just got my “facts” from CNN and MSNBC all the time. (I watch neither.)

I think they believe as long as they don’t use the n-word where people they don’t know can overhear them, they’re not racists. Trump is not because he’s never used that word. Never mind their actions or what they say in private - as long as no one of consequence hears it, they’re not racist in any way/shape/form.

2dd6sa

It actually began long ago. It began with Bob Grant. My grandfather would sit in his chair and listen to this asshole every day. My grandfather was a racist and an asshole. He was also a bare knuckle prize fighter. A biker when motorcycles were like bikes with powerful engines glued on. He also was a wiseguy in the mob before it was considered a bad thing.

Yeah, Hannity used to listen to him growing up, he was a major influence.

I always thought these talk show guys were just playing a character (like Glenn Beck or Ed Schultz have shown). But now that O’Reilly is unemployed its looking like he really is just an asshole.

This. You still win if you hurt your opponent more than they hurt you.

The thing is they don’t recognize that painting all Muslims as terrorists and all Mexicans as ms13 is pretty much exactly what the klan did with negros.

It’s not onlyt racist but inciting hate and violence.

Of course, I’m watching Mississippi Burning right now.

I don’t think Trump realizes that, but the rest of them certainly do, they just don’t care. It really seems to be all about staying in power, nothing else matters. Before Trump, most conservatives would try to distance themselves from this kind of talk. Now that it’s clear that the base are racists, they’re fine with it because it means votes. Paul Ryan’s ability to ignore everything that is going on is legendary at this point. Two years ago Trump was horrible to them, now he’s great unless they know they won’t be re-elected. In that case it’s ok to talk bad about Trump while doing nothing.

I think Trump understands what makes his base cheer. I doubt his internal dialogue gets any deeper than that.

Make Alcohol Great Again

Who knew the global economy was so complicated?