Tariff like it's 1897, Trump's Great Economy, Maybe the Best Ever

Urza literally conducted a centuries-long eugenics program to create the perfect human to destroy the mono-black threat of Phyrexia.

I vastly prefer our modern planeswalkers that act like humans and go on coffee dates between bouts of saving the multiverse and stuff.

Real life Tabletop Simulator flip!

This was fascinating look at Mike Pence’s home town

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/dependent-on-trade-mike-pences-hometown-takes-a-hit-due-to-trumps-tariffs/2018/07/21/25fd2bda-8c2e-11e8-8aea-86e88ae760d8_story.html?utm_term=.05d868d715be

I thought a Silicon Valley or a Seattle would be the most export heavy region in the country.

According to the Brookings Institution, the Columbus area is the most export-reliant region in the country, with just over half of its economic output linked to foreign purchases.

Pence’s hometown oozes internationalism: 40 foreign companies have a presence, more than half of them Japanese engines and auto-parts plants, employing almost 10,000 people. The area’s schools collectively speak 51 languages. The city ranks second in the nation in the per capita percentage of H-1B visas for foreign workers.

TL:DR Columbus IN, is fucked by the tariffs, Pence’s younger brother is running for Congress there, and his older brother just retired from Cummings Engine one the most impacted companies. I don’t begin to understand Pence’s fealty to Trump.

They were fucked by Pence when he was in charge as well, as I recall.

You reap what you sow, it turns out.

Bootstraps!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/07/24/white-house-readies-plan-to-extend-about-12-billion-in-emergency-aid-to-farmers-caught-in-trumps-escalating-trade-war

This totally perplexes me. Emergency aid to farmers hurt by tariffs we didn’t need in the first place.

Meanwhile…

That’s one way to “win” a trade war.

Very concern. Much brow furrowing.

Hey, 1929 was great until October!

2918 is going to be great until Nov.

Seriously, I’ve heard a couple of different predictions suggesting that negative tariff effects job loss and higher prices are really going to kick in right around election time.

More concern!

Someone should inform the senator that the founders established an equal branch of the government to reign in the executive.

Who knew???

This is what saving the washing machine industry (and MAGA) looks like:

Washing machine prices in June were up close to 20% from a year prior, according to the Labor Department.
Whirlpool’s sales in the United States fell 2.2% last quarter due to “very slow market demand,” Bitzer said. In Europe, the Middle East and Africa, the company’s second largest market, sales tumbled 12%
“The global steel costs have risen substantially, and in particular, in the US, they have reached unexplainable levels,” Bitzer told analysts.

But don’t worry, the economy will still save Whirlpool:

Despite more expensive units, Whirlpool expects sales to recover in the United States in part from a growing economy. “We are encouraged by the strength of the US economy, including low unemployment and healthy housing demand,” said CFO James Peters.

Because we’re pretty sure those high steel prices aren’t a problem…

Steel in the US has reached “unexplainable levels”? That got a chuckle out of me.

Why don’t we start making steel directly out of beautiful clean coal? Surely with enough coal, we can fuse coal itself into steel, saving the industry while simultaneously kickstarting beautiful American steel at the same time.

That’s silly. We should just use coal to power the washing machines.

That would only work if the washing machines themselves are also made of beautiful clean coal. Clearly each machine could just feed on itself for power, then consumers would need to buy a new one after 12 months, strengthening the economy even more.