Tartar Sauce discussion thread/poll

In these difficult times of hardcore world issues like the olympics, and what is Mylie Cyrus doing this week, there remains a rarely touched on subject. Tartar Sauce, and which version reigns supreme. In one corner, you have the Sweet pickle version, and in the other, you have the dill pickle version.

Personally I like the Dill version because of the extra oomph it gives to fish subs, but that’s purely a personal preference. Please, try and keep this discussion/debate/poll civil, we can all learn from this, and become better humans. What side do you fall on folks, sweet pickles, or Dill?

Good lord, the poll has a typo. :(

I live in a morose world where I’ve yet to be exposed to multiple varieties of Tartar Sauce. Hell, it was only a year ago that I tried Kool-Aid Pickles for the first time.

My general impression is that Tartar Sauce is good, and I like it with fish. Am I supposed to be looking for something else here?

(BTW: My dinner tonight consists of a steak on the grill marinated in the fridge overnight in a mixture of Soy and Tabasco. So, suck it, Tartar Sauce people).

Shit, now I need to go get steak.

Kelly’s has the best tartar sauce.

That is all.

Forced to eat tartar sauce, I’ll go with dill. But tartar sauce is really just a poor substitute for cocktail sauce–or malt vinegar–both of which are far superior in just about any traditional tartar sauce application.

I like dill.

But I’m wondering WTF is “Petruli Oil”? Is that what the kids are calling Patchouli these days?

Needs a shit bonerz option for those of us who believe that a pickle is a waste of an otherwise fine cucumber.

I’m a dill guy, but I’m wondering - what the hell is Petruli Oil?

My take on it. I don’t like mayo, I don’t like sweet pickles*, and I’ll eat fish dry if only given tarter sauce.

*Along with my dislike of okra and grits, almost disqualifies me as a Southerner.

Yeah, you spelled it right, I’m in a massive typo rut lately.

Where do you even get dill pickle tarter sauce? I might have seen it once when I was a kid, but I don’t remember what it tastes like.

Apparently everyone is eating it but me, though.

Until this thread I wasn’t aware that there were different types of pickles in tartar sauce. The cheap generic stuff in my fridge has the sweet relish option (I guess, based on the ingredients) so I voted for that.

At the very least this poll needed two more options: “I’m happy with either” and “I hate tartar sauce.”

“Man, I’d like to put my face in there. Right in there. Tartar sauce. My hips are cold. Tartar sauce. That’s when you know its cold. I like eating pussy. Tartar sauce. A lot of guys don’t. Well maybe they do. Maybe that’s just black guys. Tartar sauce. What happened to the guy who was trying to fly around the world in a balloon? Did he make it? I should put some espionage or stolen plutonium in my novel. Tartar sauce. Spice it up. Neil Young. Fuck, its cold. Neil Young. Wh-why am I thinking about Neil Young. Neil Diamond. Neil… There’s not a lot of famous Neils. Is this Wednesday? I wish I had two dicks. I thought the whole family was going to learn Spanish together this year. That never really happened. I haven’t had a Spanish omelette in a long time. Here we go.”

-Tom

No pickles, just dill-weed.

Have you seen my baseball?

I just like a nice lemon wedgie.

What.

He’s from Austria.

HAY DUMMYS THERES LIKE TASTE ANED THEN THERS LIKE INGREDIENST. SO STFU ABOUT INGREDIENTS WHEN U MEEN TASTE, K?

In other words, something like tartar sauce that is a melange doesn’t necessarily have two different characters. I’m not even entirely sure that pickles need to be involved, although capers must.

H.

The proper way to make tartar sauce involves half a fresh cucumber, half an onion, dill (dried is ok, but fresh is better), mayo, and maybe a little garlic salt or lemon pepper. If you’re eating tartar sauce out of a jar, you’re doing it wrong.

Real Tartar Sauce

Ingredients: as above

Instructions: Remove the seed pulp from the cucumber and discard. Dice the cucumber and the onion, and make sure you have about equal amounts of each. This should be about enough to fill a small serving bowl/cereal bowl maybe 2/3rds of the way. Take a couple of big spoonfuls of mayo and stir it all up. You want the vegetables thoroughly coated in mayo, but they should still form the majority of the sauce. Now you need to dill the everloving shit out of it. That’s not enough dill. Keep going. Once you’ve used maybe half a jar of dill, salt to taste with the seasoning salt of your choice (or plain salt if you like).

If fresh cucumbers are not available, dill pickles can be substituted. Simply dice them until you have approximately the same amount as you would use if they were cucumbers.

You’re welcome.