Task Force Admiral - a WW2 PTO carrier battles simulator

Thank you Monsieur :)

Hello there everyone.
A little update with some extra stuff - that will complement what was posted at the time of the interview. Considering QT3 uses the same forum system as Mudspike, I’ll allow myself to post the same contents if it’s ok with you - but don’t hesitate to ask your own specific questions and make your own remarks if need be, I will be happy to reply to them and go into the specifics.

So, what have we been doing?

Larger part of the late Fall - early Winder was dedicated to AI work in order to solve a long-lasting issue with the naval simulations, that is friendly (or enemy) AI not being able to foresee trajectories when maneuvering, to the point of looking a bit ridiculous. The ancestors shouldn’t be blamed, it really is hard to find a satisfying answer to the problem. Hopefully after some new thinking and a lot of sweat, our Dev JB seems to have overcome the larger difficulty. We’ve been making some stress tests all around to check for weaknesses, but so far so good. The ships depicted in the media below are all asked to swap stations within the Task Force on opposite sides of it - the kind of things you don’t do, except for science. Fortunately, worked well-enough so far.

And here, you have a destroyer being overtaken by a carrier - again, not the sort of things that happens everyday, but when operating in close quarters (for instance as a plane guard) you gotta make sure that these situations will not break the whole system. So far so good.

Ah yeah, right, the other big news is the formation editor, which we use during the game, and when making scenarios too. It is one of four planned modes for the fleet board / maneuvering board you see on the right of the main command console. It was not easy there again, because as always human brains for these are much better than the AI or any sort of automated system, but I think the final result will allow you to reasonably make most of the formations you’d expect for the era.

We also went into GUI territory outside of the gameplay proper - here’s our prototype for the single scenario menu (although our single scenarios can last a week, as you can see - so I start to wonder if I shouldn’t be selling that under another name so that nobody bothers me with campaigns this or campaigns that for the time being… anyway ^^). Good news is that work progressing along the very same lines, it will look 1:1 in-game if we don’t encounter any technical issue during production.

And some Pearl Harbor art to finish? Enterprise leaving port, December 9th, after her quick pit stop while Pearl Harbor is still burning in the background - by our artist Julien.

Here it is, reporting done! Hope you enjoyed the few sneak peeks. Getting a bit closer to the end everyday, but good things sure take time… Thanks in advance to all those who’ll stay for the ride.

(PS: some new clouds too, more on these in a few weeks I guess ^^)

Cheers!

Frickin’ awesome! Really nice stuff. The formation editor gives me flashbacks to the original Harpoon computer game (itself of course a derivative of the miniatures rules set). Of course, yours is a lot nicer!

Holy crap! The level of detail on this stuff is amazing!

I hope you don’t mind me projecting a bit of my own selfish desires, but what I really want out of this, besides a beautiful campaign, is mass carnage… shades of the awe inspiring scenes straight out of the movies Pearl Harbor and Midway. How many ships/planes will the game be able to handle on a higher end system, and will the game have adjustable LOD’s so as our video cards get better, we can dial in the action/detail further and further out?

Tbf, neither could Rear Admiral Tyron…

Looking amazing in terms of just, well, replicating the feel of the time.

Hello there all!
A little dev update - we’re trying to find a new rhythm so as to start using all the materials we have stockpiled over the last few months - hope it will stick. There you go, it’s all on steam!

Today’s update include a new video, from our Naval Academy line-up, here’s a preview of what you’ll find down there clicking on the link!

I hope you don’t mind me projecting a bit of my own selfish desires, but what I really want out of this, besides a beautiful campaign, is mass carnage… shades of the awe inspiring scenes straight out of the movies Pearl Harbor and Midway. How many ships/planes will the game be able to handle on a higher end system, and will the game have adjustable LOD’s so as our video cards get better, we can dial in the action/detail further and further out?

I am sorry I missed your last question… @jpinard

In regard of how many ships & aircraft a given scenario is expected to be able to run, plan is to be able to sustain the sort of complexity you’d have in battles such as Midway or Santa Cruz, with literally more than a hundred hulls across the board and around 200, 300 aircraft in the air at a given time concentrated in a small area. Public stress tests have yet to be made (wanted to kinda wait for V-day this year to show nice “Tokyo-Bay” shots) but it is holding satisfactorily as far as we are concerned :)
It’s 2022. The goal is to do what other games haven’t done yet (that is, have it all in 3D with as few concessions as allowed) so you can be certain that we’ll try our best, unit count being one of these most obvious limitations (I still remember my 1942: The Pacific Air War days when we were limited to a grand total of 16 aircraft per scenario… or was it 32? Anyway. Times, hopefully they are-a-changin’ ^^)

Sounds fantastic!

Hi there all!

Our monthly update is out. It focuses on air combat - how it is rendered, from flight models to AI, physics, damages, the historical research behind it, etc…
It’s here:

Loads of video clips in this one, you shouldn’t grow too bored too quickly

Cheers & take care everyone :)

Looks absolutely beautiful!

The graphics in air combat have improved a tad since the early days.

Sid Meier’s F-15 Strike Eagle.

I’m pretty sure I already told you guys to take my money.

This looks incredible. Can’t wait to play it.

Thank you very much for the kind comments guys :)

Cheers!

Our steam update is still in the works, but the main event is posted already, so why not just send it your way:
A few minutes of very early gameplay, hope the local grognards will enjoy the ride :)
Cheers!

Looking very cool!

I want this, mostly because it looks so frickin’ cool, but also because I’ll finally be able to uninstall the fascinating but utterly confounding Aircraft Carrier Survival. :)

-Tom

Oh wow wow wow!

The amount of work that needed to be put in for this to all work cleanly must have been enormous.

BTW, I can’t remember, but have you shown bombing runs on ships, while the ships are defending themselves with AA yet?

Wow! Thank you for the nice words Tom! Always feels great to get noticed by the local royalty ^^
Cheers. And hopefully yeah, see you soon on your hard drive! Thanks again :)

Thank you all for your kind words chaps, much appreciated. It always warms the heart :)

So!
That gameplay trailer from a couple weeks ago… We gave it a big facelift with a voice over & some extra trivia + a few new gameplay sequences. Come have a look!
Sounds more dramatic too… Enjoy!
Cheers!

Oh. So. COOL.