Tax Reform Under Trump 2017

Was that Cornyn just now saying they were taking Democrats advice and lowering the corporate rate?

Latest CBO estimate is $1.4 trillion. Has the Republican party ever paid more than lip service to fiscal responsibility, especially when they have been in power? Definitely Reagan with his massive tax cuts and jacking up military spending didn’t. Bush 41? He thought trickle down economics were bullshit when he was up against Reagan, and ended up getting hammered when he raised taxes, but I don’t remember much else fiscally about him. Bush 43 decided to go to war without paying for it.

Another 30-60 minutes, depending on how long dems drag it out, I’m hearing.

Any reason why we can’t roll all of this back in a year after the dems take over?

There’ll still be a GOP President?

Inertia. It’s hard to take things away once you’ve granted them. Expect mucho corporate/billionaire lobbying to keep them.

Of course, in the event of a big two-term wave, that may not matter.

51/49 in favor.

Damn, didn’t even make Pence take off his underoos to come vote.

Yay I wanted my weekend to be depressing as fuck.

Lets hope the dems and media hammer them on this for a solid year running up to mid-term elections.

I still hear the media (even npr I think I heard on the radio) refer to this as a tax cut bill in their short segments, so I seriously doubt it.

Yeah, I expect all of the talk will be about how the GOP finally won, rather than what the effects of this monstrosity passing are. If the media treats this like a competition between two sporting teams, then it’s no surprise that the public does the same.

It would be funny if it somehow dies in reconciliation. Is that even possible?

Well it’s been nice talking to you guys here. Hopefully I’ll see you in the mines, or if I’m lucky, on the farm.

What was the argument for private jets being tax exempt? I’m curious how you could possibly carve out an exception for that.

Edit: I looked it up, the idea is the current tax that is hitting them was intended to only hit commercial aircraft, so they are righting a wrong by exempting private jets.

Does it matter? No it doesn’t, because nothing matters anymore. The GOP can do whatever they want. Nothing matters.

That’s my last hope. McCain smirks and votes “No” one more time, because he’s such a maverick. In this fantasy, key GOP senators were only voting Yes on this bill because it would be more dramatic to kill the reconciled bill.

This scenario is only slightly more likely than Trump vetoing the bill, though.

I actually have a tiny amount of respect for Corker. He actually backed up his belief in no to more debt. Of course, it didn’t matter cause the bill still passed. And, of course, he’s retiring.

But as to the rest of the GOP, a pox on their houses.