Tax Reform Under Trump 2017

Corker just caved. Even though the current bill does nothing to address his deficit questions when he voted no on the Senate version, he’s now a yes on the new version.

Because why not.

It is rather entertaining to see Republicans and Trump “forget” about that whole idea.

Then again they are betting on the stupidity of Republican voters to vote for them again anyway even though it is Republican working class and middle class voters who will be net economic losers out of this bill & this weeks decisions. Their health care costs are going up, plus their online bills are going up and the couple of hundred bucks a year they may have potentially gained as table scraps from the bill have been eaten away bit by bit.

I have to say though, they are right. Republican voters really are that stupid, so its the right call.

Donald Trump’s popularity and job approval have been in steady decline throughout the tax bill process. Today it hit an all time low in the 538 aggregate.

Only in the normal population though right? Thats always been the case.

I think his Republican voter support is still in the high 70’s or 80’s right? Thats not going anywhere.

They’re not the only ones who vote.

Totally. But they always show up. So unless they start to wake up (they wont) then we always have to overcome that initial drag factor.

Except in the last two major statewide elections, you mean.

There you go using facts instead of pessimism again.

Also, only having 70% of your own party is insanely low.

Another very good point.

I guess my point to harp on always is this: There is ALWAYS a political cost to pay. Believing that Trump is somehow an exception to that rule flies against concrete evidence to the contrary.

I think Rubio got what he wanted an increase in the refundability of the child tax credit.
This is really only a benefit to folk who don’t pay any federal income tax, aka lower income families.

And to be fair, by all evidence, they did show up in 2017 in Virginia, at least at 2014 levels.

Unfortunately for the GOP in the Old Dominion, Democrats showed up at 2008 levels and beyond.

Stop trying to make me believe there are sane Republicans out there who might decide to join the human race and vote Democratic. Damn you and your optimism :)

And again, if you’re a Democrat, the fallout for all this is pretty easy to calculate. If a tsunami wave of blue jackasses hits both houses of Congress in 2018 and 2020 and 1600 Pennsylvania in 2020…name your program. Single payer? Check. Free community college? Done. Student debt forgiveness? Easy-peasy.

Just need 51 Senate votes to do it now.

Ya, I don’t understand this at all. It seems like between lowering the top rate from both the house and Senate bills, and retaining many of the itemized deductions,this makes the defict worse not better.

The only two provisions which raised more revenue than the other bills is retaining the individual AMT and raising the corporate rate to 21%. Neither of which is enough to counteract all of the budget ballooning provisions.

They’re promising him that they are going to cut spending later

Hopefully this will be a one year and done. C’mon blue wave!

Even if the Republicans lose every congressional election next year, the Democrats still wouldn’t have enough votes to override a Veto. So there will be no overturning this until 2021.