Tax Reform Under Trump 2017

Well don’t think about that. At Subway, an employee accidentally dropped a sandwich and the manager just kind of laughed it off instead of having him drawn and quartered. That man can thank the tax cuts for his life.

Ha ha – Hey, Domino’s has a new policy. If you drop your pizza they replace it for free. Think that would have happened without the tax bill?

I found a quarter on the ground yesterday. Trickle-down is working!

The best economic policies.

I got my regularly scheduled bi-weekly commission check. The tax cuts are working!

I love being an American, most of the time, but guys.

GUISE.

I think our countrymen might be fucking total idiots.

We’re not alone. At least we’ll always have Brexit to keep us company in the Stupid Boat.

I’ve spent a lot of time (really, I mean a lot) reading and interpreting the Obamacare bill to ensure my company is compliant. It is a horrible mess of a bill, very difficult and time-consuming to sort out. But at least it seems to have had one strong final edit to put things in logical order.

The new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act bill makes the Obamacare bill look like first grade primer. It was clearly written by many authors, each with an agenda. Important sections are spread about willy-nilly, making it very difficult to ensure you are in compliance. For example, on one issue, two related sections I was looking at used two completely different styles to accomplish the same thing. One just simply suspended a corporate deduction by adding a new subsection at the end that suspended the section for 8 years. The other left the related personal deduction language alone, and instead re-wrote the definition section of the personal deduction and included the suspension in there. So unless you read down about five pages, the personal deduction looks untouched, but when you do find the definition section, you learn that the parallel personal deduction was also suspended for eight years, just like the corporate deduction. The bill needed time for a strong, centralized edit. I’ve been practicing law for almost 25 years, and it took me five hours to sort out how the two deductions were to be changed/suspended. I appreciate the job security, but there is no way that every member of Congress understood what they were voting on. The synopsis of the bill is one sentence, and all it says is that it modifies the tax code. Regardless of what you think of the political effect of the Act, it is probably the worst-written piece of legislation I have ever seen.

So yeah, back to Wal-Mart.

Turns out, to get that $1,000 bonus, you have to have been a Wal-Mart store employee for 20 years. Everyone else’s bonus is pro-rated for time at work. So, the average bonus paid to a Wal-Mart employee works out to be about $190.

Oh! And after announcing the bonus and closing 63 stores (putting 9,000 out of work), Wal-Mart on Friday laid off 3,500 store Co-managers, announcing the new position of Assistant Manager, and inviting those Co-managers laid off to apply for that position if that was something that interested them. The new position carries a lower salary with fewer benefits, btw.

So basically, cheapskate company is acting true to form.

But a single PR statement made them the hero of the Right and convinced some that Trump is a good president doing what he told them he’d do.

Cuomo is officially doing that one weird trick.

I don’t know how the GOP missed that possibility in their seven minutes of deep thinking about how this tax bill would work.

Good for NY.

Damn. So close, I was just uncharacteristically optimistic.

I missed that. Nice estimate!

This is wonderful news, thanks for the heads up. As someone with a brand new mortgage, most of our monthly payment goes to interest, and even on a modest home in the Hudson Valley, our interest was over the new 10k maximum. Coupled with the high school and property taxes, we were going to take a significant take-home income hit. Hopefully this plan will mitigate that.

Apple is bringing back it’s overseas cash. Will pay 38 billion in repatriation tax, and build a new campus.

Approval of tax plan rising from 37 to 46 percent. Number who believe they are getting a tax cut rising too but still only at 41 percent. A long way to go before the 80+% who will actually be getting a cut is reached.

I suspect the mid-term blue wave won’t be as strong as Dems are hoping for.

Your daily reminder to not feed the trolls, kids.

All good things that happen are due to Trump. All bad things that happen are because of Obama.

Hope that tax cut exceeds the $4-5k in additional debt per person. Not gonna happen for a lot since its bennies are weighted so heavily toward a small % of the general population.