Tea, Totally

A search reveals we don’t have a thread and it deserves it. This surprises me given I know we have folks from “across the pond”. Perhaps this thread will die quickly - until then let’s have a tea party!

-We’ve a thread on coffee (I like it but much prefer tea for the last several decades)

-We’ve a thread on beer and one on being drunk but I gave that up 20+ years ago or I wouldn’t be here.

-I don’t drink pop with sugar… We’ve a thread somewhere about drinks with artificial sweeteners which helped me stop drinking Bai which I liked.

-So pretty much all I drink is tea in AM and then water. Recently spiced up the water as plain water is boring (but no additives, I’m “infusing” it (yay for lemon, yuck for cucumbers).

If you have thoughts about tea, what’s up?

For me I’ve explored many varieties and settled in on

Ode to Oolong

Oolong sings my song …
Steep me anudda mugga …,
Oolong oolong mmmm.

I’ll leave you with a conundrum. Everyone at Qt3 is smart, sharp as tacks so I expect someone will figure this out.

Tea v coffee. I’d heard it said that tea has less caffeine than coffee, which made sense to me based on the effect. Then in my tea research I heard the following. How can this statement be true ?

“Tea has both more and less caffeine than coffee”.

There’s more than one kind of tea leaf?

Black tea: 40-60 mg of caffeine.
Oolong tea: 30-50 mg of caffeine.
Green tea: 30-50 mg of caffeine.
White tea: 25-40 mg of caffeine.
Decaffeinated black tea: <4 mg of caffeine.
Decaffeinated green tea: <4 mg of caffeine.

Excellent tack and one I hadn’t thought of before :). It’s not the “answer” to this puzzler. I can give a hint that should give it away if nobody deduces it.

Theobromine enhances caffeine. Coffee has more caffeine. Tea has more theobromine. Chocolate has theobromine only iirc.

Tea and coffee together will wire you up. I’ve drank it at 3 am and started shaking uncontrollably.

The tea I’ve been drinking are Numi brand earl grey (the quality is so much higher than the ubiquitous Harley and sons Black tin) . A friend told me they are a good brand so I’ll probably try their white or jasmine later.

The problem is that in English any infusion of water is now a tea. Doesn’t even need to be hot (Arizona iced tea). So isn’t coffee technically a tea? It’s the bean of a berry.

Wisefool’s response has me wondering about the veracity of the statement. Never heard of theobromine. I knew everybody here was smarter than me so I’ll at least throw out the hint …

Think about the different “states” of tea and coffee.

I agree it’s hard to find the best tea that strikes your fancy. For example most recently I’ve been buying loose oolong. Buying 1 lb loose leaf lasts a long time. But Harney & Sons has an ordinary blend (I think it’s like $30/lb) and a better variety ($70 lb) which is often sold out. And neither is really the true tea leaf itself which can be resteeped. I just found “Rishi” which has a lovely oolong with the leaves all balled up like little pellets. It’s resteepable and more flavorful than the Harney & Sons options. So it will be more economical despite being more expensive if that makes sense.

Oh yeah all the good oolong is in balls.

I went to yunnan a while back to a tea plantation. it was a tourist trap but I learned a few things. My beloved jasmine is normally made with garbage leaves and scraps. They put the jasmine there to make it palatable.

Edit: oh yeah what you say about being resteppable is important for oolong. You’re supposed to rinse and throw out the first liquid you put in. It’s considered harsher and not worth drinking by connoisseurs.

As a brit I like to drink tea with food. So if I am having a sandwich for example I love a cup of tea with it. I prefer Yorkshire Tea and quite strong but with sugar.

My wife does not like coffee and drinks tea like an alcoholic but really prefers Englash Breakfast, no sugar.

My recollection from checking into this question many years ago was that a brewed cup of coffee generally has about 2x-3x the caffeine of a cup of tea. However, black tea leaves actually have more caffeine in them pound-for-pound than coffee beans do. But since you use more volume of ground beans to make coffee (vs. tea leaves for the same amount of tea), you end up with more caffeine in your cup. You would think that steeping tea would draw out more of the caffeine vs dripping through coffee grounds, but it’s really the volume of grounds vs. beans that does the work of drugging your cup with go-juice. So if you need a real jolt, chew some tea leaves straight up!

My wife and I agree! No sugar in ours, but I bet that would be pleasant. We do a splash of full fat milk. I drink coffee in the morning and if I want a cozy afternoon hot caffeinated treat that’s my go-to.

And Freezer-TPF has it, with a more thorough explanation than I could provide!

The hint about thinking of the different “states” of tea and coffee is - dry vs steeped/brewed. So as we generally know from imbibing, in its liquid form tea has less caffeine than coffee. But in its dry (leaf vs bean) state tea has more caffeine than coffee.

Thank you Don Quixote - I will be coming back to that it’s lovely for those of us who are mad for tea!

It was a big thing a decade or so back with the steampunk crowd.

I like tea, but I’m no connoisseur. Generally loose-leaf black of whatever sort- English or Irish Breakfast, Oolong. I do particularly like the Lapsang Souchong, black tea that’s been smoked with pine boughs. It’s like a campfire in a cup. I take it with a little honey.

I tried Lapsang once in a restaurant. I want to give it a go again sometime, it’s so different than other tea tastes that I want to continue to expand my horizons!

I am partial to Dragon Well, and Iron Goddess.

Are those black teas, Timemaster Tim?

Dragon well is a roasted green tea. Iron Goddess is a type of oolong.

I’ll take any tea, black, no sugar. The stronger/ darker the better.

Standard is earl grey, but oolong, souchong, massala chai, doesn’t matter will drink any.

Just don’t put sugar or milk in them.

My coworker last year started getting this variety of teabags for us at work from a store called Tuesday Morning. There was Moroccan Mint Tea, Chamomile and Lemongrass tea, Afternoon Tea, English Breakfast Tea, Chai Tea and Earl Gray Tea.

We were surprised by how good they were. The Mint Tea basically was just a really strong mint taste, almost no other taste. The Chamomile tea was the weakest, which made it perfect when I was in the mood for a really light tea. The Morning Tea and Earl Gray and Afternoon Tea were varying amounts of Black tea blended with other teas, sort of a mild, medium, strong, where Afternoon Tea was almost 100% black tea. And then the Chai tea blend was everyone’s favorite, since it had about 55% black tea and then other great stuff like cardamom, and other spices.

Unfortunately Tuesday Mornings went out of business and they’re all closed now. So I’m always up for recommendations on what convenient teabags to buy for work that are great but also relatively inexpensive.