Tech gear: backpacks

All the cheap backpacks I owned either fell apart, or the straps wore out.

I am using two bags.
My main bag is a GoRuck GR1. It doesn’t have many internal pockets, but it used Molle straps and I have a few pouches strapped to the inside. The lack of pockets is a plus. I can usually throw a GMT-game-sized box into the main compartment. There is a laptop area that is very accessible. The bag is a complete tank.

I also have Tom Bihn Ristretto that they sadly retired. It has also held up fantastic for over 10 years.

The Osprey packs are great. I’ve got a few Raptors of different sizes. I have a Raptor 6, which it looks like they don’t make any more. But on that one, my chromebook just fits into the water reservoir pocket. I’m not sure how its width compares to the Katari.

Are the eBags brand any good that I see on Amazon?

Definitely out of consideration are those dozens of “Graphite!” Kickstarter scams I see in tech clothing.

Speaking of Kickstarter nonsense, anyone buy the Peak Design stuff to determine if that over priced stuff is worth it?

Been shopping online with them for years, from time to time, though these days we have a retail store about 20 minutes away.

Wow, didn’t even realize they had stores outside of WY, let alone WA!

I have an ebags Mother Lode travel backpack that I originally got for a weekend trip to NYC and it was fantastic. It has so many useful pockets and compartments. Ebags also has several laptop backpacks that look good as well.

I have only gently used my travel backpack (thanks, Covid!), so I cannot comment on durability, but it felt solid. I would go directly to the ebags website to check them out rather than wading through Amazon.

Check out the North Face Borealis. 15 inch laptops and many felt-lined pockets to make your gear feel cozy.

As they haven’t been mentioned I use the Mystery Ranch Urban Assualt.

I carry a MacBook, 12.9 Ipad Pro and Remarkable tablet as standard with all the cables, power adapters, mouse and other gubbins. Two side pockets - for a water bottle and an umbrella.

I’ve been using it for around 18 months and it still looks like new. I’m very pleased with it.

I use this Topo Designs Rover Pack Tech bag. It’s pretty rugged, and well made.

Rover Pack Tech – Topo Designs