Ted Lasso (comedy series, AppleTV +) deserves its own thread

One of the things that makes the series work is the care it takes with characters.

Specifically, when you get the standard trope of the wife who doesn’t understand the hero and wants to leave him…we know how that goes, right? The wife is an unredeemable shrew who is propped up as a villain and caricature. But here, we kind of like Mrs. Lasso. She’s nice. She clearly has feelings for Ted, and he has feelings for her. But even when two people love one another, sometimes that isn’t enough. Sometimes relationships just aren’t meant to be. And I love that the show portrays that. No one’s to blame in this situation…it’s just one of those things that sucks.

Oh, and if you’re like me and trying to figure out why Hannah Waddingham looks so damned familiar, let me help:

Lasso having the panic attack, and his boss helping him out of it, just broke me.

I cried. Like a hungry angry baby.

Loved the line about unemployed managers looking for jobs, “Harry Redknapp called 3 times.”

Three eps in and want to thank you all for pointing this show out.

This show has heart. Definitely getting Leslie Knope vibes from Ted, but it’s the vibes of Leslie after Pohler found Knope’s true voice in season 2. It’s the relentless optimism. It makes me want to be a better person.

Wait.

Did anyone else realize that was Giles from Buffy playing Rebecca’s rich, louche, estranged husband Rupert at the player auction banquet?

Yeah I went batshit when I saw “Anthony Head” in the opening credits. Love him so much.

Yeah, I saw his name crop up. Didn’t recognize him at first. Rupert got old. Really old.

HE was old when he filmed Buffy.

Found the shipper!

Hahaha god dammit.

He was middle-aged even before Buffy

I’m not familiar with Buffy or the actor, but he did a great job in that episode.

Seven episodes in and I love this show! You should be watching this.

Yep, this is a surprisingly amazing show.

Ah-ha! That’s gotta be it! I never would have drawn that connection. Thanks, @triggercut!

I was bummed that Ted decided to have his panic attack just as she started singing. I was hoping to get to hear more of her amazing voice. She must have been an incredible presence in a stage musical.

-Tom

Yup. Dick move, Ted’s psyche…

I really hate this weekly thing. I watched the latest episode and was ready for more only to be told I have to wait until Friday. Not sure I think it’s as great as everyone here seem to think, but it is a good show. The last episode had a bit more depth in it, which I enjoyed.

I got a good chuckle of them showing the Everton gate this last episode, but it had a Fulham crest on it.

Only two episodes left

That was like the fastest 30 minutes ever. So unhappy when it ended.

Just when I thought I loved the show, Sudekis pulls a Fletch reference out and I realize I never really knew what love was.