Tell me about HD Enclosures (and backing up things)

That’s another avenue I thought about taking but I currently don’t have a USB HDD either, so that’s the thought behind the all in one type system. The WDTV after looking at it may be a good solution, if I can find the right USB HDD.

how about the popcornhour.com?

I use a couple of Antec MX-100s, and I’m pretty happy with them. The build quality is good and they’re reliable, which I couldn’t say the same for with the previous three enclosures I’d tried (an Eagletech that fell apart, an Acom that wouldn’t run at USB2 speeds, and some barely-known brand I’ve already forgotten).

There’s no cooling on it like the MX-1 and it does get a little warm, especially since it doesn’t spin down the drives. But that does keep it small, which is nice since I transport the drives back and forth from the office.

How about those HD docks? Anyone have any experience with those? It seems kind of unnatural to stand a HD upright, but I guess it doesn’t affect modern hard drives…

My solution to my media player/HDD backup solution?

I’m getting a WDTV and pairing it with this:

A Buffalo NAS device, 500GB, to make access to my music and movies easy. Looking forward to setting it up.