Tell me how to sharpen kitchen knives and what I need

I can imagine sharpening everyone’s knives. My mom’s, @ChristienMurawski’s, my colleagues’… I can’t tell if that’s crazy-talk or not. I value doing (some) things myself and this might be one of those things.

Well if you’re interested, this is the instruction video on the basic one. They also ship with a booklet and quick reference chart that go into more detail. Even on my dullest knives, I only went through changing 3 belts, which is a very quick process. On ones that aren’t in bad shape, it’s only two. So as you watch this, you can see how fast that would equate to.

Fire, the differences between this model and mine are just that I can set more angles to sharpen, and I can lock the speed at a set amount, so that pulling the trigger only goes to that speed. Mine is more like a drill, pull a little and it goes slow, pull a lot and it goes fast.

This is really cool.

Are you saying you changed 3 belts because they wore out?

I like that you can replace the belts on this tool vs. on the pull-through you linked above. The comments on the latter indicate that the pull-through wears out and stops being so awesome after ~6 months of use.

No, just changed them from coarse to medium to fine, etc. You change belts from rough to fine so that you shape the blade, then refine it more, then eventually just hone it. The belts do wear out over time, but it takes quite a bit of sharpening before that happens, from what I understand, hundreds of uses. Not to mention an entire replacement belt kit is $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Sharpener-Replacement-WSKTS-KT/dp/B003UA18GC

So you managed to talk yourself into buying a $70 sharpener for your $15 knife? Mmmmmhmmm.

I need a sharp knife to shave that yak.

Plus my other knife, which I don’t use because it’s too dull, is $25. It’s adding up!

Don’t forget the scissors you need to cut the wrapping paper for your secret santa gift also need sharpening.

Also some shears, you can use them to easily open up clamshell packages all this stuff comes in.

I don’t think you can use knife sharpeners for shears thought.

You can. You can also sharpen the utility knife that you’ll use when the shears don’t go fast enough through the clamshell. That way you can cut the clamshell, part of the gift inside (preferably anything with a wire) and your fingers, all at the same time. Then you can cut your shirt off into a long strip to use as a tourniquet.

I mean, how can you not own one of these things with so many uses.

Geez, I had forgotten how cheap those things were. Wasn’t there a Yugo commercial where the guy bought two and he was leapfrogging them home, getting out every so often and running back to get in the other one?

I’d give my l̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶n̶u̶t̶ both nuts for Jacque Pepin’s entire kitchen gear collection. I love sex, but I am on the downhill side of middle age and a guy has to have something to look forward to!

I had all but talked myself out of it (“…but it’s only like 20 bucks to get them all sharpened, so maybe I should just do that”). You, my friends, make excellent points, and now I’m back on in the “I need a knife sharpener” camp.

If are really blunt then take them in first and stick with the sharpener afterwards. Trying to sharpen a flat blade with a pull through would drive me bonkers and take a loooong time.

I think he has like 300 knives. Any one is probably worth more that all of my knives combined.

I can’t wait to get back from the holidays and sharpen all my knives with my brand new knife sharpener!!! Omg

You got one?

Yep! It arrives on the 29th.

Heck yes. I think you’ll like it a lot, Fire. Promise you’ll sharpen some friends knives too.