Tell us what pictures you have taken recently (that are interesting)

Not the best in terms of photography, but we’ve had 5 different fawns this year and the other day a couple decided to lay down a chill a while in our back yard.

Ah yes, Canon have an equivalent that’s similarly pricey! However, Sigma Art do some nice lenses that are supposed to be comparable for quite a bit cheaper. I have a 10-20 mm Sigma lens which is the bees knees (or it was, before it got fungal growth in the inner elements). I’ve been debating whether to go a faster lens, or a slower lens with a greater telephoto range and rely upon my camera’s moderately low noise at higher ISO settings.

This photo inspired me to listen to Debussy.

I have a Tokina which I use for wide angle and I’m generally happy with it, though the distortion starts getting pretty crazy at the widest aperture (11mm) and the lens tends to overexpose at its narrowest (16mm) for some reason. Still, most of the landscape shots you see me do are with it.

I haven’t really looked into Sigma’s similar offerings though… dpreview says their 70-200 2.8 is a bit soft, but it’s also half the price. I’ve also considered getting a Nikon 18-300 f/3.5-5.6 and just making that my general zoom and travel lens but… eh. I dunno. That 2.8 spoils me. It’s so damn big and heavy though…

— Alan

I love the nostalgia. In fact, it’s weird, but since I’ve gotten into late fall hiking (October-November), I’ve come to really appreciate the snow. It’s eerie to have no one around. Of course I’m safe about it, and try to always have a companion. But I once spent an entire month sleeping outside in Montana (Dec-Jan) and managed just fine. On treks, though, the extra weight is annoying. : )

Out here, it’s easy to get close shots of moose and elk and such if you go to the nature preserve areas (like right by Jackson), but that seems to somehow ruin it for me. Do you ever get that feeling? Like truly wild shots are somehow more meaningful?

Those are some [B]BEAUTIFUL [/B]memories, though. I grew up without running water or electricity (long story) in NW Montana, so the mountains and solitude are in my blood; plus I lived near an officially designated roadless area some 88,000 acres in size, and pristine and wild. I’d not recommend that exact route to grow up, but the the memories you described, at least in my opinion, are the types that all children can benefit greatly from. They truly instill in a person a love for nature, and a desire to protect it, which is honest and without hypocrisy.

Finis Mitchell lived from 1901-1995, and he and his stocked over 2.5 million trout in the Wind River Range, and he climbed those mountains until he was 84. Stunning man, and truly advocated for the wilds, just like Mardy Murie. (Huge fan of her, too, BTW, and wish we had so many more like her.)

Anyway, here are a couple of quotes of his that I loved, and your recollections reminded me of them. I wish we could give every kid an opportunity to spend a month, or even just a week, in the wilderness.

[I]“What, show people the wilderness that belongs to them and make them pay for it? I want them to come, all of them. Had a couple of hikers from Illinois and when they came down someone had written in the dust on their car, “Go home and stay.” That’s selfish, selfish.”[/I]

— Finis Mitchell, quoted in Blundell

[I]A mountain is the best medicine for a troubled mind. Seldom does man ponder his own insignificance. He thinks he is master of all things. He thinks the world is his without bonds. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Only when he tramps the mountains alone, communing with nature, observing other insignificant creatures about him, to come and go as he will, does he awaken to his own short-lived presence on earth.[/I]

— Finis Mitchell, “Wind River Trails” pg 97

In terms of what they do for your soul, undoubtedly wild shots are more meaningful, that tangible thrill you get when you spot something that you didn’t expect to see! For a few moments your life crosses with that of another creature, and you try and tell a little bit of its story. Still, there’s nothing wrong with shots taken in more controlled situations, the challenge then is creating a meaningful composition.

I also like having at least one friend with me in the wilderness, even if just to be able to share the beauty. My mother, who is in her mid-50’s, is a totally tough lady, and she accompanied me on one hike of over 50-miles. I have to brag on her a bit. :)

Nothing from me for a while, few here taken today

Sandbanks Sunset

Old Harry from Brownsea
Brownsea Castle

As every year, here are pics from our yard haunt. Despite bad weather, we managed to draw 240 trick or treaters, which is pretty good. Had the weather been nicer, we probably would have easily topped 300 or 350.

Wow, that is impressive! Where the heck do you store everything?

Heh; we have a two car garage. Garages aren’t made for cars, right? They’re really just little warehouses that come with your house, right?

That is [B]AWESOME![/B] Hahaha. I saw a sign planted in one of the yards in my neighborhood that just said, “Step foot here and you’re dead.” Wasn’t sure if that was in the Halloween spirit or not. : D

Looks great as usual, my kids would love it.

A few taken yesterday walking back from taking the kids to school in the rain.

Reflections-00735

Black and White 2-00712

Berries 2-00662

[B]Reemul[/B], that last picture makes me feel sad and cold. Very atmospheric.

Fantastic shot on Reflections.

Thanks a lot, couple more from today where it’s again wet and rainy.

White Flower

Fungus

Do you have any theft problems? Seems like creeps would be more than happy to take/break your awesome stuff.

I received this email to my flickr account. Quite chuffed really, we love Moors Valley country park and visit very regularly. http://www.moors-valley.co.uk/

Hi Iain,

I really love your image of the path through the trees taken here at Moors Valley. I hope you will please excuse this cheeky request but we are looking for an image to use on a greetings card for Moors Valley gift vouchers and would love to use the image if you wouldn’t mind?
We would of course be happy to credit the image in your name and supply you with some copies for yourself.

Kind regards,
Katie Davies