Tell us what pictures you have taken recently (that are interesting)

Awesome pictures, guys. Krayzkrok, you could easily sell the oxcart and Phnom Pen photos to stock photo services.

Went whale watching last week in Hawaii. Still awaiting the elusive full-breach shot.

This whale was <50 feet from the boat and swam under us:
UpClose by DennyA, on Flickr

Two males fighting over a female. (That’s the second whale’s tail on the left.)
Whale Fight 1 by DennyA, on Flickr

The whale in back pops up for a look:
Chase by DennyA, on Flickr

Female slapping her pectoral fin to get attention (it’s mating season):
Slapping the pectoral fin by DennyA, on Flickr

A different female slapping her tail to get noticed:
Tail-slapping by DennyA, on Flickr

Lahaina Harbor:
Lahaina harbor by DennyA, on Flickr

So ladyface and I both love Longmire. We stopped by Valles Caldera on our roadtrip and hoofed it to the cabin (closed to vehicles) at the time. Tragically, my Canon’s battery died, so it was back to cellphones for that portion. We also saw a bunch of other places, such as Shiprock and Kasha-Katuwe (recommended!) Tent Rocks.

These are not nice photos, but if you’re looking for something fun to do, I’d recommend a visit to any of these sites. I apologize for the selfie-ish nature of them. We did this for memories and weren’t in it for the landscapes so much; she took pics of me with her phone, and vice versa. Be glad you’re not seeing my mug! We also hit up South Fork, CO, Treasure Falls, Four Corners, Mesa Verde, Los Alamos, Bandalier, Rio Grande, Taos, and Angel Fire.

Shiprock:

Longmire Cabin:

Tent Rocks (much more massive than they look; I didn’t get any pics of the slot canyons, but they’re awesome):

Bandalier:

STILL WAITIN BROSEF!

Thanks for sharing, those are awesome!

A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I went to Death Valley for the superbloom (among other things). Wish we stayed there longer but only had a day+ to do stuff. On this first photo if you look really close near the bottom you can see two people for scale:

Also been trying to identify the tail markings on this F-18 that showed up over Badwater Basin one day but without much luck. The paint scheme appears to be a little unusual (black tail and what appears to be a black spine). Anyone have any idea?

— Alan

Navy VX-9 Test Squadron out of China Lake.

Very jealous, Alan! Awesome pics.

Few more from Death Valley:

— Alan

Had an hour or so to play with the D500 at Conowingo today. Totally under the gun, had to get setting put in as I was shooting. Couple weird things. The clock doesn’t get set during initial setup. The diopter is set in the dumbest spot to begin with. It’s set in AFS-S and I had no idea how to get it to AFS-C.

Which resulted in this:

Untitled
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

SONOFAB!

Got that fixed but still need to fine tune some things. I don’t think I want 55 point 3d for BIFs. Need to figure out what my D4 is set to.

Got a few decent shots but nothing spectacular:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Wonder what happened to this poor guy’s face:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Probably the best shot of the day:

Untitled

The eagle in front of the trees almost looks like a watercolor. Nice work. Were you taking those somewhere in the Pacific northwest? I have never seen so many eagles until I came out here. They’re everywhere! And they make such unlikely noises!

I love that last picture with the dog, Alan. It immediately made me think of Mad Max. Totally different breed, of course, but my mind went there.

-xtien

Kadath, that third picture, especially, where the landing gear is going down as the bird approaches the tower. That is an amazing shot.

-xtien

Thanks gents. Conowingo Dam in central MD. We have ABEs all year long but they peak while migrating in early November. Lucked out and got there mid day during heavy pumping so there was a lot of fish action for the Eagles and other birds including a few blue herons, black cormorants and gulls.

Since the pictures all point to his Flickr, could it be said that Kadath was ABE Linking?

I’ll show myself out.

Haha yeah, I noticed how they’re a little similar. Thanks!

— Alan

Fishbreath is a natural eagle condition so I will let it slide, but normally I’d say boo to you, good sir.

My very last day at one facility I used to work at I took a shot during sunset—best shift ever since I didn’t have to work at all during it! Guess it’s not super recent and it’s kinda crappy, actually, since the photos merged about as well as the Titanic with an iceberg, but it still made me happy!

Love a window office.

A blind shot I took yesterday with my phone. The sun was too strong for me to see anything on the screen. I really like how the colours came out. I wish I could be rid of the cars in the background though.

Reminds me of this famous Wyeth, so you got that going for ya!

Having trouble picking a fave!

16-OC-AirShow-1882 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

16-OC-AirShow-1940 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

16-OC-AirShow-1980 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

16-OC-AirShow-1729 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Flickr seems to have added some gnarly noise to these tho, gonna have to figure out why…